• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

I have to imagine that they've been quietly aging some for a few years now, ever since the cocktail revival put the Mai Tai on a pedestal and elevated the old W&N Dagger rum to mythic levels. 

If they're shooting for the 17 years only 12 or so more years left to know!

I'm guessing you got that Fidencio at Ace also? I find it not very pleasant on its own, at least not immediately after opening, but quite good when mixed. After opening, when there's a bit of air in the bottle, it gets better. Interesting about the Hamilton JA rum, if not surprising. 

Tapatio like the hot sauce?

Actually I got the Fidencio in NC.  A rare find here.  I've seen several Fidencio selections at Ace, I usually let any spare cash go to Rums when I'm there.

I have to imagine that they've been quietly aging some for a few years now, ever since the cocktail revival put the Mai Tai on a pedestal and elevated the old W&N Dagger rum to mythic levels. 

One can only hope!

Following up on the Hamilton Collection Jamaican black rum,  I tasted it back to back with a range of Goslings, J Wray  rums.  It smells like a jar of molasses but the taste is closer to diluted J Wray with just a twinge of caramel/molasses added. The caramel brings a very slight bitterness to to it. It definitely does not taste aged(nor does it claim to be).  It is definitely not a must have for any bar.  It does not follow or improve upon the profile of any other black rum.

I tried a sample this weekend and thought that it was rather good. It did very well in a tiki drink too. It had a good level of funk with caramel and banana flavors, with a slight bitterness as you mentioned.

One of only two what? I can think of at least two other Canadian distilleries already putting out single malt whiskies: Glenora and Still Waters.

It's a claim from their website - that there are only two single malt distilleries. But you are right, I can see that. Not sure why they made that statement. I'm not at all knowledgeable about this stuff, but I thought buying my husband a bottle from a local distiller would be kind of cool and hope that it is decent quality.   :rolleyes:

Unrelated, beyond both being staples of Mexican cuisine. 

Bummer about the Hamilton rum, but yeah, not surprising. I'm much more excited about trying the gonzo-sounding dunderous new overproof from Lost Spirits–though if I recall, Hassouni, you've been skeptical about it on another forum. I share your general skepticism towards unnaturally dark young spirits, but my sense is that in this case that comes from extremely charred barrels basically soaked in sherry. 

A bottle of the Lost Spirits showed up on my door step just this week. Yet to try it but it is quite the curiosity! The description of it on Spirits Journal was rather notable in its own right. I am just glad he elected to use overripe bananas instead of decomposing bats...

Lost Spirtis Rum.JPG

• Like 2

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Bulleit rye. This became available in Australia last year but I hadn't seen it anywhere for mid-bottom shelf prices. I'd seen it retailing at a price ... well, let's just say not too far off the price you'd pay for something like High West. Anyway. Random find. On special, dropping it to mid-bottom shelf level (if you want some, haresfur, try Coles). I've had it before. It's nice enough for what I paid.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I'm waiting with bated breath to hear your impression of it!

I am rather curious about it as well so I may move it to the head of the line for sampling. I had planned to give it a try this past Wednesday but one of the distributor reps brought in some samples of Smooth Ambler for a potential store barrel pick and the owner asked me to help out.

Wednesday tasting 2APR14 Smooth Ambler barrel.JPG

And he brought some other goodies as well so the rum got set aside for the moment. Some of the new St. George fruit brandies and liqueurs as well as the NOLA  "New Orleans style" coffee liqueur (pretty intense!) and a couple of Fernets to compare to the old standard of Fernet-Branca. I liked the Contratto, not as sweet as Leopold but less minty than Fernet-Branca.

Wednesday tasting 2APR14 St Geroge liqueurs.JPGWednesday tasting 2APR14 St George coffee liqueur.JPGWednesday tasting 2APR14 Fernet.JPG

And did I mention a few genevers and gins I brought in to share with the distributor rep?

Wednesday tasting 2APR14 Gin.JPG

It was a busy afternoon...

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)
  • Like 3

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Damn. Where do you work, and can I drop by?

Nah, not my workplace. I am just an enthusiastic consumer who has developed a good relationship with the owner! We often do Wednesday afternoon tastings (since I fortunately am usually off on Wednesdays) with what ever new or interesting products happen to be at hand. Sometimes a distributor is pushing a new product. We did ten different bottles of Corsair one week.

But mostly it is whatever new bottle I have at hand compared to similar bottles in my liquor cabinet or what has come in new to the store that I buy.

It is usually whisk(e)y but that is not a given. One week it might be bourbon, cognac and armagnac.

Wednesday tastings 19MAR14.JPG

The next might be Scotch

Wednesday tasting 15JAN14.JPG

Or Irish

Wednesday tasting 12MAR14.jpg

Or a mix of rum, tequila, rye and bourbon!

Wednesday tasting 8JAN14.JPG

This past week just happened to be kind of potpourri of things I brought and new things a distributor rep brought by.

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)
  • Like 3

~tanstaafl2

Professional tasters never swallow... :wink:

This is why I have clung resolutely to my amateur status despite strong pressure to go pro.

I feel like it's probably best that I not say any of the things I intended to say regarding the above conversation.  :raz: 

So I'll just mention that I grabbed a bottle of Hayman's sloe gin today. I have no idea if that's a decent version of sloe gin or not but I took a chance.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You prefer to keep your mouth shut, I see... :biggrin:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool..."

I'd like to buy a bottle of the commemorative Elmer T. Lee, if only I could find one. It looks like a heartwarming presentation.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

And you make it back up off the floor how on a Wednesday? :huh:

Hell, I cut the grass afterwards this week and didn't lose a single finger or toe!

I guess I am getting hard core...

And I am not about to spit any of it out. Heck, I paid for most of it so I am damn sure gonna drink it!

• Like 2

~tanstaafl2

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool..."

Yes. Discretion being the better part of valor, I valiantly said nothing. :biggrin: 

It looks like I'm going to finally, in the very near future, get my hands on a bottle of Benedictine... but I'm not counting on it until I have it in my hands.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3006.jpg

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww55/motlybia/IMG_3006.jpg

Hi, new here and have learned a lot browsing this forum!

I'm in China, so I don't have the selection that I'd have in the US, and must go to many stores for different items. Found the best liqour store yet the other night though and picked up a few things:

New:

Monin Creme de Apricot liquer

Agavales bianco tequila

La Mauny rhum agricole

Berneroy Calvados

Cocchi Americano

Corralejo reposado tequilla

Monin grapefruit-rose syrup

Essential Cocktails(from bookstore down the street actually:)

Restock:

Cointreau

Havana Club silver

*Creme de apricot is described as having a "brandy base", but it's only 40 proof. Am I correct that this can only be used when an Apricot liquer is called for, not when the drink needs an apricot brandy?

So, apricot brandy meaning eau de vie d'abricot is basically nonexistent as far as I know. Crème de abricot is probably what recipes mean when they say apricot liqueur