• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

So they say but I have yet to see it at my store.

From the sound of it, I'm amazed your store has any whisky.

The WT 101 is available in DC, verified with my own eyes.  1L for about $28.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Yes, they have a near monopoly on Jamaican rum. And they in turn were recently bought by Gruppo Campari which is one of the big boys in the liquor world. They have a done a pretty good job of trying to run Wild Turkey into the ground so it will be interesting to see what they do with rum.

This is good news for the land of overpriced spirits where anything not brought in by the majors is even more overpriced.  Maybe Dan Murphy will start stocking Wray & Nephew.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

This is good news for the land of overpriced spirits where anything not brought in by the majors is even more overpriced.  Maybe Dan Murphy will start stocking Wray & Nephew.

Nicks sometimes stocks it. Expensive.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Everything you say about your shop leads me to conclude that in your own best interest, you must find a new boozeria. They have trouble getting Grupo Campari products?? They barely deserve to be in business.

I notice drinkupny has no Appleton 12 for sale either.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

How have they run WT into the ground?

Well to be fair I did say "trying"! The new Rye 101 seems to lacking compared to the pre shortage bottles (no personal experience to go on) and if you are finding it at under $30 for the new liter you seem to be getting a good price. I am hereing reports of close to $40 in some places (the original Rye 101 was reportedly at or below $20 for a 750ml). The Rye 81 that had replaced it has been routinely described as poor in the whiskey circles I frequent along with the equally bad and overpriced Forgiven which would seem to be better off if named Forgotten.  

I am not a big WT drinker in general so I don't have a plethora of experience although I did not care for either the Rye 81 (especially compared to the original Rye 101) or the Forgiven. The Forgiven in particular has been the butt of many jokes about the alleged story of how it came to be as well as how bad it is.

And can anyone tell me exactly what the heck Russell's Reserve Small Batch Single Barrel is??? Is it small batch? Is it single barrel? Is it some sort of bizarre hybrid? And if so how the heck do you do that?

General consensus among hardcore WT drinkers that i hear from is that qualtiy in general has declined since Camapari took over in about 2009 to a greater degree than other major distilleries. Most feel the flagship line has gotten increasingly younger and less enjoyable. The 10 yo Russell's Reserve line that was intended to be an "upscale line" started at 101 proof I believe but was soon cut to 90 proof (although this was before Campari took over I think). Campari then put out a single barrel RR line at the more traditional 101 but decided to make it a no age statement whiskey which seemed to disappoint mant loyal WT fans.

Seems like the primary people Campari has chosen to live up to their classy slogan to "give 'em the bird" is their loyal fans from everything they seem to say about it lately.

Although that said there seems to be a bit of an improvement in the minds of WT enthusiasts in the past few months. Not really sure what is driving that.

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Three new additions.  The first, cocchi di Torino, from a local(NC) wine shop - Caviste, which has a budding assortment of vermouth and wine base amaro.

Next up are the Royal Dock Gin and Hamilton Collection Jamaican Black Pot Still Rum from Ace beverage.

rumhaul.JPG

Hey, Ace Beverage! Good shop, eh?

Let us know how the rum is. From everything I've read, the Hamilton JA rum is a sham - it's not aged a day in barrels, and yet is sold as a "gold rum" and as a "black rum." Hmph.  If I want funky-ass, strong, unaged, JA pot still rum, give me W&N Overproof any day. I'd be interested to see if this stuff is substantially different. 

Edited by Hassouni (log)

I will let you know how it is.  I don't think it was ever claimed to have been aged, though.  I looked at the site for the Jamaican and St. Lucian before buying.  The St. Lucian is aged and Jamaicans are not. At least not for any considerable amount of time.  The jamaicans get their color from caramel versus the barrel.

Iv'e tried two St. Lucians so far.  The 8 yr 46% and the 9 yr 63%.  I love the 9 yr and can't stand the 8 year.  Not sure what it is but after several tastings I just do not like the 8 year though even diluted I find the 9 year quite enjoyable.

I'm not very familiar with St Lucian rums. With its mixed colonial history, I'd be curious to know if it's closer to English or French style rums. Are the 8 and 9 year from the same distillery? What was so different about them?

As for the Jamaican, I just feel esp for the gold, it really heavily implies aging, even if it's not stated. And if it's stated as unaged, why bother adding the color? (Black rum is another story, even 20 years in oak doesn't make a rum black!)

010_zpsd3bed877.jpg

A few additions over the weekend.

Refill of the St George Botanivore, I love all 3 of thier gins.

New York Distilling Dorothy Parker semms to be brand new in this part of the world, already tried it in a G&T, really tasty, junipery but then the floral aspects follow up nicely.

Hadnt seen Lemon Hart 151 before, the 80 is readily available, what should I do with it?

• Like 1

Yeah, really anytime 151-proof rum is called for, Lemon Hart is what you want. You can also dilute to 100 proof (or 80, but 100 is more fun!) and it's great for mixing when a recipe calls for Demerara rum

The 8 and 9 years St Lucian Rums of the Hamilton line are supposed to be form the same distillery.  I tasted the 8 year again last night and describning it as nasty may be a bit harsh; I just don't like the style.  It is very much in the English style as it reminds me of the English Harbour 5 and the Doorly's XO.  I bought both of these a few years ago, after ready many favorable reviews and don't like them at all, though I can appreciate that they are wll made.   The 9 year old on the other hand brings to mid a mix of Demerara and English styles.  The higher proof brings a nice amount of spiciness and it has the richness of a Demerara but is not as sweet.  Even diluted I like it much better than the 8.

Re: sweetness of Demerara, the El Dorados are quite heavily sugared, and that's about all we can get in the US. I'm still aching to buy an independently bottled Demerara (hint: anyone know of any US-based online retailers??)

010_zpsd3bed877.jpg

A few additions over the weekend.

Refill of the St George Botanivore, I love all 3 of thier gins.

New York Distilling Dorothy Parker semms to be brand new in this part of the world, already tried it in a G&T, really tasty, junipery but then the floral aspects follow up nicely.

Hadnt seen Lemon Hart 151 before, the 80 is readily available, what should I do with it?

Would love to find the Teeling in the US but haven't seen it yet which is disappointing. Have you tried it yet?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Re: sweetness of Demerara, the El Dorados are quite heavily sugared, and that's about all we can get in the US. I'm still aching to buy an independently bottled Demerara (hint: anyone know of any US-based online retailers??)

You may want to try Hitime.  Most non ED Demeraras are pretty pricey in the US.  BBR bottles at least one as does Samaroli.  I have seen both online and in DC stores.  If a total wine in your area sells liquor that is also a  good place to look.  They typically carry the BBR at around $90

That's true, the MD Total Wines have BBRs at a not utterly outrageous price, thanks for reminding me. As for Samaroli, I might as well import my own bulk rum from DDL and my own barrels for the kind of money they want!  I spoke to Joe Riley at Ace about it, and he said it's just not worth them even carrying it.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Yes, they have a near monopoly on Jamaican rum. And they in turn were recently bought by Gruppo Campari which is one of the big boys in the liquor world. They have a done a pretty good job of trying to run Wild Turkey into the ground so it will be interesting to see what they do with rum.

And now it looks like they've bought my favourite Canadian whisky distiller, and one of only a handful of independent distillers in Canada. This saddens me; I guess I'll have to stock up now before they get their hands on the product.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

And now it looks like they've bought my favourite Canadian whisky distiller, and one of only a handful of independent distillers in Canada. This saddens me; I guess I'll have to stock up now before they get their hands on the product.

Hmmm. I guess I better quit putting off grabbing that bottle of Copper Pot Reserve I've been wanting to try.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Hmmm. I guess I better quit putting off grabbing that bottle of Copper Pot Reserve I've been wanting to try.

You might still have a bit of time but I wouldn't dawdle! It appears Hall will be hanging around for the time being but there is already some speculation on how long he might last. If he gets frustrated/annoyed with the realities of corporate decision making he may bolt sooner rather than later.

It will be interesting to see if some of the special editions get any wider distribution or if the intial focus will be on the basic stuff. But as they try to increase distribution stocks are likely to get stretched thin pretty quick. Can't make more overnight! 

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

~tanstaafl2