• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

1q24.JPG

A gift from my thoughtful fiancée. A local(ish) product from Panther Distillery.

It has very interesting, not a traditional gin profile. Nor does it fit into the model o a citrus forward, light gin. In fact this has notes that are almost reminiscent of Genever. There is a roughness to the spirit, a little funk. In flavor terms it also reminds me of Aquavit, as there is a strong bready flavor. Really a very unusual spirit.

I have only tried it neat and in a G&T so far, and unfortunately it failed pretty miserably in the G&T. The tonic water brought out an unpleasant grassy flavor, not the good kind o grassiness, more like a mouthful of fresh grass clippings. I think I need to treat the spirit more like a Genever, or pair it with more assertive ingredients. Still, should be a fun experiment.

I can't believe nobody's bought anything four five days. Anyway, here's my weekend purchases:

20140208_194501.jpg

The Junipero is a new one for me - my first US gin. First impressions are it's more juniper-heavy than I'm used to - this is not a criticism; simply an observation. It made a pretty respectable Negroni with Campari and Dubonnet last night.

The Averna was to replace a bottle we killed a couple of days ago, and the Chartreuse is because I want to try a few more cocktails that use it and I'd run out of the samples given to me by a workmate whose partner comes from near where it's made.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

The Junipero is a new one for me - my first US gin. First impressions are it's more juniper-heavy than I'm used to - this is not a criticism; simply an observation. It made a pretty respectable Negroni with Campari and Dubonnet last night.

Well, what exactly did you expect with a name like Junipero? :-)

But seriously, I think it's about the same as Tanqueray on the juniper scale.

Doing some restocking of my own...the Green Chartreuse is a 2005 (found at the very 2005 price of $45).

BgDWVTrIQAAgn6U.jpg

• Like 3

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Dammmmmn. Where does it say the year on it?

Somewhere on the neck band, there should be a stamp. It's the letter L followed by 6 digits. Take the first 3 digits (in this case, 921) and add 1084 (the year St. Bruno founded the Carthusian order) to get the year of the bottling (2005). To the best of my knowledge, the final 3 digits are the day of the year of the bottling. I don't know exactly how long they've been doing this, but at least since the late '90s.

• Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Well, what exactly did you expect with a name like Junipero? :-)

But seriously, I think it's about the same as Tanqueray on the juniper scale.

Therefore Tanqueray tastes like ... tanks?

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

Found the Riga Black Balsam available at this place in Jersey while searching for some other products today.

They also had the Van Winkle 12 in stock...I wonder how they keep it on the shelves. :blink:

DeVoto, The Hour

• 2 weeks later...

Appleton 12, Campari and 123 '2' reposado tequila. I've had their '1' silver and it was pretty good; looking forward to this one.

And I clearly haven't been paying attention. I've just discovered Appleton is made by Wray & Nephew.

My eG Foodblog

Restocks of Junipero, Punt e Mes, and Weller 107 (shelves were bursting yesterday after sitting empty for months), as well as a bottle of Bittercube's Door County Hop bitters.

DeVoto, The Hour

Appleton 12, Campari and 123 '2' reposado tequila. I've had their '1' silver and it was pretty good; looking forward to this one.

And I clearly haven't been paying attention. I've just discovered Appleton is made by Wray & Nephew.

Sadly I've not been able to restock my Appleton 12.  My dealer says they apparently changed their distributor.  I used to be able to order Appleton 12 and get it the next day or the day after.

This has me worried because to the best of my knowledge Appleton, Wray & Nephew, and (for that matter) Campari are all the same company.

I went home with W&N since it was on the shelf.  I've noticed the bottles of W&N move pretty fast.  And the snow is coming.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

If you can still get Appleton V/X there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.  I just fancied some 12 for a change, particularly as the Jamaican Rum component of a Tolkien.

V/X is probably somewhat less expensive, too ...

My eG Foodblog

Plenty of V/X on the dealer's shelf...it never seems to move.  But I gather their problem at the moment is obtaining any Appleton/W&N/Campari stuff, not just Appleton 12.  However I expect they will get it sorted out.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Everything you say about your shop leads me to conclude that in your own best interest, you must find a new boozeria. They have trouble getting Grupo Campari products?? They barely deserve to be in business.

• Like 1

I've been out of town most of February, so I managed to stay away from the liquor store.

Only bought a few beers, and a bottle of Dolin dry vermouth (restock).

Today's purchases - this year's release of Stone Old Guardian barley wine, and Matilda Belgian strong pale ale.

12892631384_7ae65d32b8_z.jpg

Gifts for my Valentine last month. Gregorius is a trappist beer from Austria (who knew). MBV is an amber ale by AleSmith ("Pair this beer with jilted lovers, reservations for one, or your favorite emo album") (oops)

12549883483_763e9ed78b_z.jpg

Yes, they have a near monopoly on Jamaican rum. And they in turn were recently bought by Gruppo Campari which is one of the big boys in the liquor world. They have a done a pretty good job of trying to run Wild Turkey into the ground so it will be interesting to see what they do with rum.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Yes, they have a near monopoly on Jamaican rum. And they in turn were recently bought by Gruppo Campari which is one of the big boys in the liquor world. They have a done a pretty good job of trying to run Wild Turkey into the ground so it will be interesting to see what they do with rum.

Although to be fair, while W&N own Appleton and have owned it for a long time, Appleton is still largely made on the original estate where it started to my knowledge and seems to not be overly meddled with. Will just have to see what Campari does. 

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2