• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Keith_W

The Air Fryer topic

I read this quickly and at first thought you were going Air Fry a guinea pig,  :laugh:

• Like 2

Those things work?!!

Man I want one but alas no space in my kitchen.

It would be nice have fries with BBQ this summer with out all the work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Fink said:

Those things work?!!

Man I want one but alas no space in my kitchen.

It would be nice have fries with BBQ this summer with out all the work.

When we have warm-weather family BBQ's, my sister-in-law got the brilliant idea to fry french fries using a plug-in table-top deep fryer out on a table on the patio while my brothers did their BBQ thing. 

The nice thing about frying outdoors is that the smell of  old grease doesn't linger in the kitchen/house, cleanup is easy and it doesn't heat up the house.

Winner winner, chicken dinner! xD

• Like 4

On 2016-09-16 at 6:49 PM, Okanagancook said:

Mmmmmpops

great work.

you are fearless.

i don not have said appliance and will not be buying one.  Oh, my I have heard this before.

i should stop looking at this thread.:$

Dang it>:(

couldn't resist the sale on the Bestek air fryers on Amazon.ca.

25 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Dang it>:(

couldn't resist the sale on the Bestek air fryers on Amazon.ca.

Mine has moved on to a better home where it is much appreciated.  My bachelor son is loving it. 

• Like 2

Last night I did a hamburger, some little chicken fillets and fries in the new fryer.  NO MESS.  I over did the chicken a little but the hamburger was nice and brown and the fries were better seeing I cut them a little thicker.  I'm trying roasted cauliflower and some lamb chops in there tonight.  I am digging this machine when time is short and you don't feel like making a mess.  The little basket cleaned up quickly. 

DSC02156.thumb.jpg.d0379a646d26ae2b90ba3a6c3c800fba.jpgDSC02158.thumb.jpg.4974bf5444e86eb45720d8f4297f5535.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

I am digging this machine when time is short and you don't feel like making a mess.  The little basket cleaned up quickly. 

Don't make me regret re-homing mine. xD  It did some things very well but they're not the things that are normally appearing often at my house. Number two son will probably get far more use out of it than I did.  I am very glad I tried it.  

My one regret is that I never did try the pork belly in it and there is a recipe somewhere online which makes it look like a fabulous way to treat this cut. 

• Like 2

AnnaN, look away.........Some roasted spiced garbanzo beans. WOW.  Nice and crunchy with 1 tsp of oil only.  Then some roasted cauliflower and sliced onion.  This was done at too high a temperature.  I'm making notes.  But nonetheless, it is like 'well roasted' cauliflower and not over done. Bonus, the onions were nice and crispy.  Next up were some whole button mushrooms sprayed with some Olive oil and destined for more treatment later but I wanted to have a lower fat treatment so I roasted them in the air fryer to cook them. In the end it really concentrated their flavour.  Yum.  It is experimental so I am not leaving the kitchen and opening the drawer frequently to see what is going on.

DSC02159.thumb.jpg.765053e6e97e55ca97151d2c8092f99a.jpgDSC02160.thumb.jpg.83b3b877587f4bca804d894342788f90.jpgDSC02162.thumb.jpg.4dd942ec946a259e944552e5107a18c2.jpg

• Like 6

We did lamb chops the other night.  Four minutes and they were perfectly cooked, but, did require a very quick sear in a red hot pan for some colour.  No picture.

Last night I put some chunks of cooked potato in the fryer.  Nice and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside....better than fries I'd say.

DSC02166.thumb.jpg.3738ff06818f14cec4096727291b6ab8.jpg

• Like 5

Did an experiment with chicken drumsticks.

First two pictures are the drumsticks done in the air fryer and the third picture show the CSO baked (steam bake at 424F for 25 minutes)drumsticks.

The air fryer won.  Crisper skin and much juicier.  To be fair I think I over cooked the CSO drumsticks in an effort to get the skin crisp.

The air fryer won on the clean up also.

DSC02172.thumb.jpg.20724cb6fd23a49ab2c683d72958f733.jpgDSC02171.thumb.jpg.da352e48a34a7bc6d198773c31cb11bd.jpg

DSC02174.thumb.jpg.db8151a3627e39a5f244250348a57c61.jpg

• Like 3