• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

• 1 month later...

I bought a Gowise air fryer. Got tired of dealing with smell and left over oil. Now that I have used for a while, I have found that it works well and is just big enough for the 2 of us. Heats a lot quicker than my full sized oven. Its 3.8 quart but I may donate this to one of the kids and get 5.8 quart. Got the Gowise as it was considerably cheeper than the Phillips and got good reviews. It came with perforated parchment liners for the basket. Those work good. Made fish and chips the other night. Instead of batter, I put beer in the egg and then did flour-egg-flour. Came out really good!

Mark

Edited by MArkF (log)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have been researching air fryers for hours today.  Some birthday money from last October is burning a hole in my Amazon account.  

I am just so torn.  Do I really need it?  No.  Do I want one?  Yes.  Which one?  I dunno.  There are a ZILLION different ones now.

I hummed a lot before getting one because I wasn’t sure I would use it and I sure was not going spend a lot of money on one so I bought a cheap no name for $100.  Now my brother and my nephew have the same one.  It works well and if it breaks down I would now probably get a bigger one and one that is highly rated.  I don’t want one with a non removable stirring arm

I think the the biggest thing about them is there ain’t no mess to clean up.  No grease splatter from frying hamburger, chicken, fish, sausages, potatoes, etc.  And especially the frites are worth it just for them.:D

happy birthday:x

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I hummed a lot before getting one because I wasn’t sure I would use it and I sure was not going spend a lot of money on one so I bought a cheap no name for $100.  Now my brother and my nephew have the same one.  It works well and if it breaks down I would now probably get a bigger one and one that is highly rated.  I don’t want one with a non removable stirring arm

I think the the biggest thing about them is there ain’t no mess to clean up.  No grease splatter from frying hamburger, chicken, fish, sausages, potatoes, etc.  And especially the frites are worth it them.:D

happy birthday:x

Thanks!  I need all the input I can get.  I've read through this topic at least twice today.

The Phillips is going for $170 on Amazon now.  Or there are several brands I've never heard of for $70-$90.  My eyes are crossed from reading so many reviews (I don't trust reviews on Amazon so not sure why I'm reading them lol).

We occasionally eat frozen tater tots and fries and I do them in the CSO.  But when @gfweb said that reheating fried chicken turned out well that kind of pushed me over the edge towards buying one.  I fry chicken--but I hate going to all of the mess to just fry a few pieces and we can't eat a whole chicken in one sitting lol.

• Like 3

I gave my Phillips air fryer away to my bachelor son. I have no regrets. It is used on almost a daily basis at his house where it sat gathering dust at mine!  

Edited by Anna N
To remove some ambiguity (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Thank you so much!

Anna,  I told myself I wouldn't use it....but I think I would because we do fry a lot.  Too much actually lol.

That is the reason that, although I was drawn to the Cuisinart air fryer oven at Costco the other day, I realized that I don’t much bother with fried foods. It is neither a health thing nor a mess thing. There are some things even in my universe that are worth it!   Damn you!  Now I can’t get @Monica Bhide‘s shrimp fritters out of my head. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

That is the reason that, although I was drawn to the Cuisinart air fryer oven at Costco the other day, I realized that I don’t much bother with fried foods. It is neither a health thing nor a mess thing. There are some things even in my universe that are worth it!   Damn you!  Now I can’t get @Monica Bhide‘s shrimp fritters out of my head. 

Maybe you need your AF back........just sayin' lol

• Haha 3

I hear the Philips needs less shaking and turning because of the design.  I tend to use alot of sticky stuff in marinades so the thought of the Philips mesh basket gives me pause.  On the other hand most of the other brands seem to have peeling issues.  I have a Secura 4.2 and wish I'd gotten at least a 5.3.  I' love doing whole chickens in there but I have to spatchcock it or it won't fit....Tastes better than any supermarket rotisserie chicken.  A 5 to 6 QT air fryer could easily accommodate a 5 lb chicken.  Also, mine is too small to accommodate some of the pans I'd like to use.. the next size up would...  Incidentally, Philips now has a new XXL size.  I think Williams Sonoma may have it available now.  Till now it was only available in Europe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saluki said:

I hear the Philips needs less shaking and turning because of the design.  I tend to use alot of sticky stuff in marinades so the thought of the Philips mesh basket gives me pause.  On the other hand most of the other brands seem to have peeling issues.  I have a Secura 4.2 and wish I'd gotten at least a 5.3.  I' love doing whole chickens in there but I have to spatchcock it or it won't fit....Tastes better than any supermarket rotisserie chicken.  A 5 to 6 QT air fryer could easily accommodate a 5 lb chicken.  Also, mine is too small to accommodate some of the pans I'd like to use.. the next size up would...  Incidentally, Philips now has a new XXL size.  I think Williams Sonoma may have it available now.  Till now it was only available in Europe. 

For chicken consider a Cuisinart Steam Oven.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I watch too much late night tv.  Infomercial touting a Power AirFryer Oven is the greatest thing ever (according to them). Basket w/shelves(3)  pull out the front.  As with all commercial of this sort,  it does everything... fries, bakes, rotisserie, dehydrator...blah blah  blah.   I could get behind that if it did actually do all those things.

• Haha 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

https://www.the11best.com/air-fryer-recipes/

:rolleyes:

Haven't tried any of these but it is a place to start.

I think I might try one or two of these recipes in my Breville Smart Oven Air.  It has an air fryer function that so far, i have only used for French fries and grilled cheese sandwiches.  Thanks!

• Like 1

ATK did a seg a few seeks ago on Buffalo Cauliflower

looked very tasty

they baked it

Id like to see how this works out in an Air-fryer.

its Rx # 5 in the ref. above.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I think I might try one or two of these recipes in my Breville Smart Oven Air.  It has an air fryer function that so far, i have only used for French fries and grilled cheese sandwiches.  Thanks!

Remember to up the temp in the BSOA by 25 to 35 degrees or so if using recipes for an air fryer to compensate for the lower air speed and larger area of the BSOA.

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs