• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

on the Island , have you done corn in the CSB ?

i just nuke mine with a hard plastic cover I routinely use in the Micro.

Nope. We used the easy peasy way in the mictowave. Still in its husks. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

well    ....

how did you fit an ear of corn in the PAF ?

image.jpeg

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Lamb chops again....soooooo good. About 9 mins at 200C. Side of leek gratin was equally good but was cooked in conventional manner. 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Peach summer torte.  I mixed up one half of the batter recipe and perhaps next time would go with a little more. Almost an hour at 160 C.  At least I remembered the foil sling.  I think the fruit to batter ratio was a bit off. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Lunch. Tater tots tossed with a modicum of oil and an abundance of "Dutch Potato Spice mix". I got distracted and made up a batch of date-tamarind mayo for dipping which didn't really work with the already spiced tater tots.  Didn't stop me from dipping them and eating them though.   

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Not as healthy but much tastier. Frozen french fries tossed with just a modicum of oil before being cooked in the air fryer for 20 minutes at 200°C.   Sausage rolls and brown sauce on the side.  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2016 at 6:20 AM, StuartGrows said:

Sure. I'll send him a message and ask him how he did it . It was like magic.

Did you ever hear back?  (This was baked potato in the AirFryer)

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Damn you all! LOL I"ve had my eye on one and this thread made me finally do it. Picked one up tonight half price....jumped in and made hamburger and fries and warmed buns...I'm impressed. The fries are good. Not deep fried in duck fat type of fries. But GOOD crispy , browned fries....burger was pretty acceptable too :) 

14333732_10153806776272703_2363256540345482144_n.jpg

• Like 7

@Mmmpomps

Now we're REALLY COOKING,. Given what you have done with your Instant Pot I'm betting you'll have the Air Fryer doing pirouettes around us all. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, StuartGrows said:

I just poked him again and he said all he did was lightly coat it in oil and tossed some salt onto it. Peanut oil.

I think what we wanted to know was how did he  do it faster than in a normal oven?  

My 2004 eG Blog

I tried a baked potato for lunch at 390F for 30 minutes.  It was a medium-small size and it was pretty close to done (close enough that I ate it all), but I think another 10-15 minutes would have been better.  I did not oil it.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

13 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

I tried a baked potato for lunch at 390F for 30 minutes.  It was a medium-small size and it was pretty close to done (close enough that I ate it all), but I think another 10-15 minutes would have been better.  I did not oil it.

I, too, have tried a baked potato in the Airfryer and it took just as long as it would've taken in the oven.  It still makes sense to me to use the Airfryer when the small oven is in use or I don't want to fire up the big oven.  

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I, too, have tried a baked potato in the Airfryer and it took just as long as it would've taken in the oven.  It still makes sense to me to use the Airfryer when the small oven is in use or I don't want to fire up the big oven.  

My sense is that it may be a bit faster, but doesn't offer much advantage beyond that.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

Ok second experiment a success. Tonight is going to just be small plates, leisurely eaten with a few glasses of Apothic. Goat cheese stuffed mushrooms with hot salt. 15 minutes at 425 degress. A few fell to the bottom as these were small button shrooms but even the fallers were the cooks treat! Excellent brown! Fries are in now...a riff on Scotch eggs next.... 

14358884_10153809108287703_4717249085305748893_n.jpg

14364726_10153809108297703_7914326824921996475_n.jpg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Mmmmmpops

great work.

you are fearless.

i don not have said appliance and will not be buying one.  Oh, my I have heard this before.

i should stop looking at this thread.:$

LOL I thought I wasn't going to buy one of these either!!!!! You may be right on the fearless bit...I just made Scotch eggs, which I have never made before...and will need to rename them Irish eggs as I discovered I didn't have any Panko crumbs! These are breadless Scotch eggs...eggs made in the Instant pot ;)

8 hours ago, Mmmpomps said:

LOL I thought I wasn't going to buy one of these either!!!!! You may be right on the fearless bit...I just made Scotch eggs, which I have never made before...and will need to rename them Irish eggs as I discovered I didn't have any Panko crumbs! These are breadless Scotch eggs...eggs made in the Instant pot ;)

Hmmm. Your air fryer must be very different from the Phillips model. Is it the Nuwave?

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Hmmm. Your air fryer must be very different from the Phillips model. Is it the Nuwave?

7 hours ago, palo said:

@ Mmmpomps

I see a flat circular rack in the background, could you have put it on top of the tall rack to make sort of a cross-hatch and prevent your mushrooms from falling through?

p

HOLD ON A SECOND.........I'm OFF TOPIC!!!! I don't have an air fryer! I have an oil-less fryer!~ I will pick up my hamburger and french fries and stuffed mushrooms and go to the right play board ;) 
This is the Big Boss Oil-less fryer! I'll check out some you tube video's and see what the difference is :)

p Thanks I will do that with the other tray...genius!

Mmmpomps

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mmmpomps said:

HOLD ON A SECOND.........I'm OFF TOPIC!!!! I don't have an air fryer! I have an oil-less fryer!~ I will pick up my hamburger and french fries and stuffed mushrooms and go to the right play board ;) 
This is the Big Boss Oil-less fryer! I'll check out some you tube video's and see what the difference is :)

p Thanks I will do that with the other tray...genius!

Mmmpomps

Appliances are becoming very confusing.   I am not sure that yours is really different  except for its form.  I suspect it works on exactly the same concept as the Phillips. And I'm not sure how either of these really differs from the previous iteration which was called an infrared oven or something similar.  All of them seem to be compact versions of convection ovens.   I'm happy to be corrected but have no wish to begin an argument.   Up north we also have something which I believe was described as a oilless turkey fryer meant for use outdoors and which runs on propane.   Methinks the words "oiless" and "fryer" are buzz marketing words to be interpreted any way you wish.   

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Appliances are becoming very confusing.   I am not sure that yours is really different  except for its form.  I suspect it works on exactly the same concept as the Phillips. And I'm not sure how either of these really differs from the previous iteration which was called an infrared oven or something similar.  All of them seem to be compact versions of convection ovens.   I'm happy to be corrected but have no wish to begin an argument.   Up north we also have something which I believe was described as a oilless turkey fryer meant for use outdoors and which runs on propane.   Methinks the words "oiless" and "fryer" are buzz marketing words to be interpreted any way you wish.   

I think you are correct . I got confused with the product that spins the food around as being an "air fryer". This is a convection and infrared heat source. And you are on the mark about the buzz words...Well now I feel fine leaving my Big Boss experiments here ;) This guy has the capability with the expansion ring to a cook a 16 lb turkey. 

• Like 1