• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Can you do popcorn in there?  My brain isn't on full go today so apologies if that has been mentioned.

Doubt it.  I'm sure it would pop but the popped kernels would be blown all over the place inside.  And you'd need the baking pan accessory for sure as the kernels would drop right through the regular basket.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

37 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Doubt it.  I'm sure it would pop but the popped kernels would be blown all over the place inside.  And you'd need the baking pan accessory for sure as the kernels would drop right through the regular basket.

Don't you think a pop corn popper work the same way as an air fryer?

dcarch

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

Don't you think a pop corn popper work the same way as an air fryer?

dcarch

Not really. The chamber of the air popper is designed for popcorn, being closed at the top with a chute to let the popped corn out. The air fryer chamber is not the same as its wide open at the top to the fan and the heating elements. In addition, an air popper heats from the bottom and the air fryer from the top.

Like I said, I think you'd get some kernels to pop, but I think it would make a mess.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

So I wanted to know if one could just "wing it" as it were with the air fryer.   I had three chicken breasts which needed attention. I knew two of them would go into Sous Vide.  That left me one to play with. On my counter was a little bit of onion left over from something I made yesterday and a few more grape tomatoes that were fast going to  their graves.

I split the chicken breast horizontally to make two paillards.  I sprayed everything with a little oil, seasoned well with salt and pepper and  preheated the air fryer  at 200°C.  I used the grill pan that came with my unit. I cooked everything for five minutes at 200 degrees centigrade then turned everything over and cooked it for another five minutes. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Still juicy!

Was it the best chicken I've ever cooked? No it wasn't but it was perfectly adequate for a fast meal.  

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Just because you can....  I have to confess that there was no way I was going to taste this toast. This was from a loaf of bread that was already growing things you would much prefer your bread did not grow :D.   In a dorm  it might be better than nothing --- the air fryer not the bread. :D

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Just Saying

Nice Work

@Anna N 

now it was not in a Dorm, but more an International House  

Mid America  a long time ago .  I did have a GE toaster oven that fed me well

now

for the Dorm  :

a CSB  no question 

just saing

• Like 3

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Just as there are many ways to skin a cat so too are there many ways to cook a pork chop. This was damned good!  Given a coating of Shake n Bake (the original) and put into the preheated AF (200C) for 10 mins, flipped and cooked for another 6 minutes.  It was tender, juicy and the whole procedure seemed somehow easy-peasy.  Most impressed I have been so far. Granted it has zilch to do with deep frying. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/21/2016 at 3:52 PM, Anna N said:

image.jpg

Just because you can....  I have to confess that there was no way I was going to taste this toast. This was from a loaf of bread that was already growing things you would much prefer your bread did not grow :D.   In a dorm  it might be better than nothing --- the air fryer not the bread. :D

One of the Great Truths I learned in college, living in the dorm, about a century ago is that you can make toast, or more specifically, a grilled cheese sandwich -- with an iron. Likewise, that you can fry an egg in a popcorn popper.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I do.  I have all of the accessories. But I opted to do pork chop in the basket.  Not quite sure what, if any, difference it would've made to use the grill pan.  I was hungry, tired and it just seemed incredibly easy to just pop a pork chop into the basket. No looking for pans.  No lining with foil. Dishwasher took care of cleanup. Even felt somewhat futuristic.  xD

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot."

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Another pork chop. This time simply dusted with a dry rub, put on the grill pan in the Airfryer and cooked for 10 minutes flipped and cooked for another four.  Excellent. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

went back to BB$B the other day

for actually buy a Grande Oxo salad spinner  

[ posted else where  re Mister Cat ]

thought Id take a Pic of the analog and digital PAF side by side

which Id looked at a while ago, based on this thread.

as you can recall the Grade was on deep sale.

anyway

all gone, no boxes Nada

didn't realize there were at least 4 (  based 0n the boxes and the display  )

Lurkers here   in my own neiboohood.

O.o

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

I can tell you that the skin on chicken thighs done in a steam oven  ( CSB )  is exceptionally crisp, like a crackling.

Im wonder wind if a steam oven, with CkTh's in a light batter might also develop a crispy coating

at 400 F steam-bake.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I ran across this recipe this morning and thought it could be ideal for the Air Fryer:

Oven Fried Chicken

If you tossed in an appropriate amount of the 11 secret herbs and spices you could have Colonel Sander’s finger lickin' good oven-fried or air-fried chicken.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeggimage.jpeg

And thes are probably the reason you WANT an Air Fryer

And the reason you should probably run screaming in the other direction if you want to stay slim and healthy. 

Crispy on the outside, creamy inside, not obviously greasy....addictive. Like potato chips ... You can't eat just one.

15 mins at 200C with a couple of shakes. I ate mine with sriracha mayo. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

I knew it.    I just knew it .

""  pepites ""

even better

and a mayo based dip to boot.

***   burp ***

glad my local BB$B  has sold out.

got to be worth it just for 'Tots.

they do come out that way in the CSB, but its harder to shake the tray in the CSB

33 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I knew it.    I just knew it .

""  pepites ""

even better

and a mayo based dip to boot.

***   burp ***

glad my local BB$B  has sold out.

got to be worth it just for 'Tots.

they do come out that way in the CSB, but its harder to shake the tray in the CSB

Wasn't easy to do the first shake either!  Had to resort to an implement to get them moving. 

My 2004 eG Blog

did you use the basket ?  did you lightly coat the basket w oil ?

Im scheduled to go right by BB$B this AM  on the way back from TJ's

hope I don't turn in.    a fresh 20 % off coupon is burning up my Glove Compartment !

I did use the basket and I did not spray it with oil as my aim was to keep the grease factor as low as possible. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

drove right pst BB$B.  At speed.

:P

this time at least.

I did buy some Fz TJ's tots ,  not ' pepites  '

they will have to do in the CSB soon, just  a few to take the edge off ....

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5