• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Kim -- I'm so glad you liked the Shrimp Cakes! There are times when I forget about the recipe, but then as soon as I make them I kick myself for not having them more often! And did I mention they reheat beautifully? Mmmmmm. I may have to make them again soon...

The recipe looks great. Do you just reheat in the oven? If so, seems like they would be great as appetizers for a large group that can be made in advance. Have you done that?

Hey -- I have definitely made them in one-bite appetizer size! I've always reheated in a frying pan, but I have no doubt an oven would work -- might just take a little longer to heat them through in the middle. Somehow even when reheated, they manage to stay pretty much just as moist as when they're first cooked. Also -- I really recommend a little guajillo chile puree as a dipping sauce. Guajillo chiles, soaked in boiling water, pureed with a little honey and lime. Really nice to have a dollop of that on each little mini-cake!

Attn avaserfi

I love duck breast and yours looks delicious!

would you be willing to share the Rx? was it SV?

I like my DB's on the rare side with crispy skin

man thanks for the Photo!

Thank you! I will have to look at my notes to get the exact recipe (I took notes since I plan on posting about this recipe on my blog), but it was fairly simple. I sealed a skin removed duck breast with some flavorings then sous vide at 54.4C/130F. I crisped the skin in the oven separately and served.

Edited by avaserfi (log)

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

percyn – yay! Then my instincts were right!

Last night we had my in-laws over for dinner and to look at the last of the trip pictures (we only got through England last time). Since it was a week night and really HOT, I wanted something easy, that I didn’t have to heat the kitchen up for and that I could mainly prep the night before. I decided on chef salads. We hadn’t had that in forever and everyone likes it around here.

Basic salad – lettuce greens, scallions, tomatoes, cukes, carrots and radishes:

med_gallery_3331_114_321394.jpg

American cheese, ham, Swiss cheese, salami and eggs:

med_gallery_3331_114_21556.jpg

The pickle-y stuff – sweet and dill pickles, green and black olives and peperoncini:

med_gallery_3331_114_234291.jpg

Topped with a choice of Marlene’s bleu cheese or my dad’s paprika dressing. I also served crackers and crusty bread.

Dessert was just nectarines and blueberries (you do NOT want to know what that sugar free abomination is on top – I picked it up on the way home – I was just too tired to whip cream! :blush: ). Served with some cookies (the same kind, which, oddly enough turned up in one of our Paris pictures!):

med_gallery_3331_114_68430.jpg

Vegetables, redux:

veggies 2.jpg

More of those marvelous tomatos (Shelby, wish I could get some of them to you!), butterbeans, new potatos roasted with black truffle oil, sea salt and grated Parmigiano, an ear of corn on the cob, and a slice of leftover ham from Christmas, vac-sealed and frozen until this week.

Ham had a sort of watery taste/texture to it. Anyone had that experience with cured, vac-sealed, frozen ham? I didn't do anything other than thaw it out. open the pouch and eat it; I tend to like my ham cold.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My son's SO gave me a recipe she wanted me to try. It is called Wasabi-Crusted Chicken Breast. It was served with a teriyaki sauce made with Korean style sauce, sake and chicken stock. While at the Asian Market today the owner-lady told me they had some freshly made kimchee so I got two cucumber kinds, a radish one and the regular cabbage kimchee. I made steamed rice and made the chicken breasts, served the kimchees and there was dinner.

DSCF3185.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Kim, I know we haven't talked for awhile, but I just had to log in to say that your salad, plus extras was so beautiful! I would eat that every night. Being raised by my chef dad ,and my vegetarian mom made me crave that kind of salad. You did good!!!

I made my son western style ribs, I cooked them for an hour at a low heat, then jacked up the heat and put on the BBQ sauce. Served with mashed potatos with peas, and onion rings.

---------------------------------------

My son's SO gave me a recipe she wanted me to try. It is called Wasabi-Crusted Chicken Breast.

I like the look of that, especially the kimchis. Yum.

As for me, I thought I had nothing to cook in the house, having not shopped in ages, so imagine my glee when I remembered I had this beautiful Chinese bacon, some flowering chives, a grizzled old lump of ginger, and a last remaining duck egg. The bacon is amazing, it's cured in star anise, cloves, black pepper, cinnamon and brown sugar (at minimum - this is just what I can taste):

2011-07-02 at 18.45.07.jpg

Defrosted some duck stock and soaked some shiitake mushrooms, and had a lovely Chinese-style risotto with the bacon, chives, ginger, Shaohsing wine, white pepper and a drizzle of sesame oil. Topped with a fried duck egg and hoped my arteries see the morning. :biggrin:

2011-07-02 at 19.38.45.jpg

Panaderia Canadiense – thank you for your tilapia filets baked in banana. I am running out of ideas for tilapia.

percyn – Elegant plating for a delicious Surn 'n Turf dish.

robirdstx – Lovely Chicken Fajitas. Amazing Fried Crawfish Tails

rarerollingobject – After seeing your Chinese style risotto with flowering chives, I ran out to the farmer’s market and got some garlic scapes. I didn’t run out to get kobe beef. Too expensive. I will have to save up for it. :-).

Kayb – Aftyer seeing that beautiful sliced tomato, I went out to my garden to check on my tomato plants. I should have a few ripe ones in another three to four days.

Kim – Nice fresh, green, healthy, interesting chef’s salad. I like those cute fancy cocktail picks. The lamb chops looks superb.

SobaAddict70 – Beauiful rainbow trout, served over rotini.

avaserfi – I am a big fan of black garlic, duck breast and duck skin.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I had sous vide strip steak with garlic scapes, Israeli couscous and Kabocha squash for dinner.

dcarch

stripsteakgarlicscape3.jpg

stripsteakgarlicscape2.jpg

stripsteakgarlicscape.jpg

Kabochac.jpg

Kabochac2.jpg

I guess SOMEBODY has to post after dcarch so the rest of those following won't look so bad. LOL

I always intended to make Eggplant Parmigiana someday. Today was the day I finally did. We all really liked it. Son said it was better than chicken parmigiana and I'd he would not mind if I made this again. In other words, its a keeper.

DSCF3201.jpg

Norm Matthews, that's a lovely crusted chicken.

RRO, that bacon looks and sounds incredible.

dcarch, what the heck is up with the grill pattern? That's probably the fanciest-looking steak in history!

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

dcarch, I remain in awe. Lovely! Norm, I may have the solution for those eggplants reposing in my fridge.

Crawfish pie here. Details on the eG Cook-Off 56 thread.

013.JPG

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Supper tonight was Lamb Moussaka served with baby taters and carrots, and a few yu choi leaves sauteed in oliver oil, drizzled with sesame oil. The kick was provided by pickled jalepenos.

8musak6845.jpg

Dessert was Canadian Cheddar Cheese Apple Crisp - not the usual oatmeal brown sugar topping, but rather, a drop batter of flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, milk, and cheddar cheese. Great warm or cold, with or without ice cream. :wub:

aplcrsp6831.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Success!! After dreaming for what's seemed like forever about C. Sapidus's chilorio over on the Mexican thread, I mail ordered me some anchos and guajillos and got down to it.

It's not as pretty as Bruce's (or as saucy), but it sure was tasty.

ETA: dcarch, that is just insanely beautiful, as usual, and Norm, that looks delicious, but you are indeed a brave man to follow up dcarch! Thanks for taking one for the team! :biggrin:

2011-07-03 at 18.44.01.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

Blether: I'll ask Oliver when he recovers from his

faint. :rolleyes:

The Moussaka was to use butter to coat the dish, but I used margarine with olive® oil, and olive® oil for sauteeing - thought I'd give a nod to cholestrol restraint seeing as the meat was lamb. Altho' there wasn't much fat in the pan after I browned the meat. All in all, very tasty. :smile:

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

NC%252520Chili%252520Dog%252520and%252520Fries.jpg

Thanks to the link posted here by Toolprincess on her eG foodblog, we had Eastern North Carolina Chili Dogs with Crinkle Cut Fries for dinner tonight.

Looks delicious!!! How did the chili turn out? I am thinking of making a big batch and then freezing in smaller portions so I'll always have some on hand.

Looks delicious!!! How did the chili turn out? I am thinking of making a big batch and then freezing in smaller portions so I'll always have some on hand.

Thanks, toolprincess. The chili turned out very nice, after I gave it my Texas twist. :raz: The basic chili was just too sweet for our tastes, so I added some ground cumin, cayenne pepper, granulated garlic, and extra chili powder, black pepper, worcestershire sauce, and cider vinegar. I also added a couple squirts of sriracha sauce. :biggrin: I used my stick blender at the end to smooth it all out. Since there is only the two of us, I have portioned the rest of the chili into four small containers and have put them in the freezer for the next time we have chili dogs. :wub:

Edited by robirdstx (log)

RRO, your chilorio looks great - glad you liked it!

dcarch, very fun sear marks (and beautiful steak, too)

We smoked a couple of pork butts overnight, and pulled the pork in the morning. While the pork was smoking I made a spicy, tomato-based barbecue sauce (with, among other ingredients, candied ginger, ancho and chipotle chiles, and thinly-sliced lemon) and a batch of coleslaw.

Pulled pork sandwiches with ginger barbecue sauce and mustard slaw

gallery_42956_2536_27480.jpg