• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Looks great, Heidi.

Salads for dinner tonight. :wink:

060.JPG

Lamb's quarters (wild spinach) and Campari tomato salad, with cow's milk ricotta cheese, garlic scapes and crispy lemon zest.

070.JPG

Salade parisienne with sauce moutarde.

Clockwise from upper left: cold leftover roast poussin, Campari cherry tomatoes, new potatoes fried in French butter, hard-cooked wild turkey eggs, blanched green beans and French breakfast radishes.

Because if it's French, it must be good. :raz:

Great food everyone!

This was supper - quesadillas with rajas and longaniza.

IMG_3426_cr.jpg

If we're taking excuses for bad pics this week, I got home kind of late and the sun was already down by the time I finished throwing these together. Also I was hungry and the food was getting cold, and the dog ate my good pics.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Assume nothing. Is the soup frozen? Powdered?

So sorry honorable gfweb. I am afraid I can't disclose to you. It is a thousand year old secret recipe bequeathed to me by an inscrutable supreme Chinese culinary master, who was a direct descendent, from a royal master chef of Emperor’s Forbidden kitchen. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Make soup stock with gelatin. After gelatin is set, chop it up to mix with filling to make bun. After the buns are steamed, the gelatin/stock is melt and becomes the soup.

dcarch

Ancient Modernist Cuisine!

... This was supper - quesadillas with rajas and longaniza...

I'll bite. What's a Raja, and what's a longanisa ? Even my eG post spell checker doesn't know them.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Rajas are chiles (in this case jalapeno) cut into thick strips, usually sauteed. Some pickled chiles are also cut like this. Longaniza is a type of sausage. It's a bit like a non-crumbly chorizo.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Good stuff, Dakki.

011.JPG

If you think it looks more "yellow" than normal, you'd be right. I used a chicken egg from Quattro's.

036.JPG

I'm afraid the ricotta gnocchi demo in my Foodblog didn't specify the desired thickness when I roll them out. Here's a closeup shot that gives you a good idea.

048.JPG

136.JPG

M. Hazan's tomato sauce, adapted from Marcella Cucina: one can crushed tomatoes, 4 tablespoons unsalted French butter, 1 onion cut in half. Simmer until droplets of fat separate from the sauce, about 1 hour. Taste for salt and pepper. Discard onion -- although if you're like me, that's the best part!

149.JPG

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

... M. Hazan's tomato sauce...

I start to feel blue if I ever get to having no wee containers of that sauce left in the freezer. Gorgeous-looking gnocchi, though without a standard-sized prop I'm little the wiser as to size :raz:

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

So many great things here..SobaAddict70, beautiful food. Dakki! Your meals are amazing, I always look out for them! And heidih, the way you use vegetables really jives with me..just the sort of dishes I'd make.

I forgot to take a picture of the meat pre-cooking to show you how beautifully marbled it was, but dinner here was wagyu, asparagus and enoki mushroom rolls, glazed with mirin, sake, soy and honey.

Side of green beans in a miso, walnut and ginger dressing.

2011-06-16 at 19.08.50.jpg

2011-06-16 at 18.54.49.jpg

I'll bite. What's a Raja, and what's a longanisa ? Even my eG post spell checker doesn't know them.

I am a huge fan of longanisa. here is someone's blog post about them. I actually like the brand shown but in the spicy version. A favorite sandwich with crusty bread and marinated cucumber and onion.

I am a huge fan of longanisa. here is someone's blog post about them. I actually like the brand shown but in the spicy version. A favorite sandwich with crusty bread and marinated cucumber and onion.

Interesting..that blog post suggests cooking them in a frying pan lined with foil to avoid the burnt on sludge on the pan..I cook sweet Thai sausages that kill my pans in a similar way, I can't believe I never thought of pan frying directly on foil! Genius.

Interesting..that blog post suggests cooking them in a frying pan lined with foil to avoid the burnt on sludge on the pan..I cook sweet Thai sausages that kill my pans in a similar way, I can't believe I never thought of pan frying directly on foil! Genius.

I use a 59 cent disposable pan in the oven when I cook mine. I prick them and add a hint of water and loosely cover with foil at the beginning. Then I drain some of the fat and finish uncovered on high heat till crispy.

heidih, I don't think Filipino longaniza (or, as Wikipedia would have it, longganisa) is the same as what we get here; I know the pinoy version of adobo is quite different from the Mexican (which in turn is quite different from the Spanish), for instance. Nevertheless I'm sure it's delicious (and I'm quite curious to try it).

rarerollingobject, thanks for your encouragement. You're making me blush. :raz:

Doing some Chinese cookery this weekend. (Also posted in the Chinese Eats at Home topic here).

Last night,

Deep-Fried Riverbarb, (a delicate white fish), with a sauce of Garlic, Ginger, Sesame Oil, Chili Oil and Chinese Black Vinegar-

013.JPG

Beef Chow Fun-

018.JPG

(Sorry the noodles are buried under the beef). I used flank steak for this dish, and cut the steak in half, then sliced into thin strips. I typically "velvet" meat in a mixture of cornstarch, liquid and egg white, but I've read some recipes that also call for a bit of baking soda. The mixture for the beef included baking soda, cornstarch, soy sauce and Chinese rice wine-no egg white. That bit of baking soda must have caused some sort of reaction because this was the most tender stir-fried beef I've ever had.

The sauce is simply mashed fermented black beans, Chinese rice wine and some oyster sauce. I added some shredded carrots, green onions and baby bok choy for a vegetable element.

RRO, that pork belly looks and sounds delicious!

David Ross, the beef looks good, but I really, really like the presentation on that fish.

RRO, that pork belly looks and sounds delicious!

David Ross, the beef looks good, but I really, really like the presentation on that fish.

Thanks, the fish is such a simple dish. My Asian market sells frozen Riverbarb already cleaned and scored. I dust it with potato flour and deep-fry in 375 canola oil for 3-4 minutes. Then just stir the garlic and ginger into the oils, pour over the fish and drizzle some black vinegar around the fish. The flesh is white and delicate, like a rainbow trout, yet the flavor is delicate and buttery. Delicious.

Tonight I went with a "Steamed Chinese Dishes" theme.

Steamed Copper River Salmon with "Crisp" Chili Oil and Soy-

051.JPG

And the medium-rare Salmon-

055.JPG

(Read our discussion of the 2011 Copper River Salmon season here).