• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Tonight we had a duo of Fried Crawfish Tails :wub:

Appetizer: Fried Crawfish Tails and Tartar Sauce

Main: Crawfish Po Boy - Fried Crawfish Tails with Remoulade Sauce on a Homemade Roll

Oh my! Did you do them from fresh crawfish or already cleaned and processed tails? Breading and frying method? That is one of my "last meals" :)

Main: Crawfish Po Boy - Fried Crawfish Tails with Remoulade Sauce on a Homemade Roll

Oh my! Did you do them from fresh crawfish or already cleaned and processed tails? Breading and frying method? That is one of my "last meals" :)

Hi Heidi, I used already cleaned and processed Louisiana tails and used a breading and frying method similar to the one in this Emeril recipe here. It is important to not overcook the tails.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Kim, have you posted or can you link to the recipe for the shrimp cakes? They look scrumptious.

And yes, the pork was superfluous. But I feed a 16-year-old male who is convinced he has not dined unless he has ingested animal protein.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Panaderia Canadiense – I’m confused – I was wondering about your weather, so I looked at weather.com and saw that the temperature there was 68 degrees. That doesn’t sound like winter to me. Am I wrong about where you are? Well, no matter. Whatever the weather, that soup and bread look fantastic!

robirdstx – I just finished dinner and I really, really want a Po Boy.

kayb - Here's the link to the recipe on my webpage. They were so good – I really appreciate Emily linking to the original recipe. They will definitely go into our summer rotation! And I have one of those meat-focused 50-somethings that robirdstx mentions, too :raz: !

Tonight we started with some nibbles:

med_gallery_3331_114_60525.jpg

Yodeling Goat Gouda (really, really good) and everything flatbread

med_gallery_3331_114_94743.jpg

Lamb chops, leftover fried green tomatoes, sweet potato slices brûlée and green beans. Everything but the beans is the same color :unsure: .

Last night, it was my birthday. My houseguest and I were headed to the Joan Jett concert, and invited me to dinner beforehand, but I'd been to the farmers' market, and had tons of fresh veggies, so I cooked my own birthday dinner: Fresh tomatos, creamed corn, fried okra, stewed squash and onions, and a grilled pork chop.

veggies.jpg

You can take the girl out of the country, I guess, but... :)

Oh AMEN sister!!!

I could eat the hell out of all of that. AND you went to Joan Jett!!! You make this 80's girl swoon. I hate myself for loving you! :wink::cool::laugh:

Edited by Shelby (log)

Great food pix, all.

Recent dinners ...

048.JPG

Indian vegetable plate

Top — Red-bliss potatoes, fried in clarified butter with black mustard seeds, cumin and dried curry leaves

Bottom — Dry-fried sugar snap peas and green beans, with black mustard seeds, chiles, turmeric, hing, aamchur, Jersey tomatoes and fresh coconut

038.JPG

Baked rainbow trout, with quick pickled cucumbers; celery braised in French butter, wine and herbs

Kim, the weather station referenced by weather.com is in another valley entirely, closer to Riobamba. Ambato doesn't have its own public weather station, because we don't have an airport (despite being a city of 300,000 people - there just isn't enough flat land to land the domestic passenger planes on. Everything here that comes by air comes in choppers.) Microclimates here are fairly extreme from one to another, and I live in what's termed the Altitude Desert. Even so, 68 is a winter temperature - our summers are normally in the 100's to 120's. At 68, my bananas show cold damage!

Which brings me to last night's dinner, in a sort of roundabout way. This is tilapia filets baked in banana leaves with fresh chard and salty saffron potatoes. I'll put the whole method for doing the fish in the "Cooking with Leaves" thread, but here's the result:

DSCN6702.jpg

DSCN6691.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Kim -- I'm so glad you liked the Shrimp Cakes! There are times when I forget about the recipe, but then as soon as I make them I kick myself for not having them more often! And did I mention they reheat beautifully? Mmmmmm. I may have to make them again soon...

Fried%252520Crawfish.jpg

Crawfish%252520PoBoy.jpg

Oh dear! I just needed to see it all again. That looks PERFECT. I will have to just enjoy them vicariously through these pictures.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Which brings me to last night's dinner, in a sort of roundabout way...

DSCN6691.jpg

Panaderia - Your avocado (one of my very favorite foods) looks delicious! I have a couple that are ripe and ready to use - I was going to make guacamole, but instead, I'm going to keep it simple and just slice them up and use them as an accompaniment for our chicken fajitas tonight.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Great looking meals, everyone! Especially love the crawfish tails and percyn's quail.

I bought some beautiful wagyu/kobe beef slices (the 'karubi'/kalbi cut, without bone), and grilled it very simply, just 45 seconds on each side.

Served with ponzu and sesame seeds, and lots of green beans and broccoli in sesame ginger dressing as a side.

2011-06-30 at 18.35.01.jpg

2011-06-30 at 18.48.32.jpg

Soba - It must be rainbow trout season! Dianne on CK just had it, too. I love it and haven't ever cooked it.

Panaderia Canadiense - thanks for the explanation. 120 degrees in the summer :shock: ? Goodness, I start cranking the air conditioner at 77! I don't think I'd cook at ALL if I had to deal with those temperatures! That tilapia is gorgeous and makes me want to delve into the leaves thread!

Emily - you DID tell me about reheating - Mr. Kim tested that the next day for lunch and said they were still great.

Paul - great looking pizza! I'm committed to chef salads tonight, but I'm craving pizza now.

percyn - I know that is a very upscale meal, but something about that quail makes me wish I could pick it up and eat it with my bare hands. It just looks so GOOD!

robirdstx - grilled onions on the fajita look so good. Actually, I could do without that (great looking) chicken, if I could have a big pile of the onions :wub: !

RRO - That's just amazingly beautiful and tender looking beef. Wow.

Ben - That dressing is the one in this recipe

Mr. Kim cooked last night while I did prep for tonight (we're having my in-laws over for dinner and picture viewing). He made bacon cheeseburgers and we also had sliced tomatoes and marinated cucumbers. He wouldn't let me take a picture because he said it was too 'ordinary'. I told him there was nothing ordinary about a bacon cheeseburger.

Attn avaserfi

I love duck breast and yours looks delicious!

would you be willing to share the Rx? was it SV?

I like my DB's on the rare side with crispy skin

man thanks for the Photo!

Panaderia - Your avocado (one of my very favorite foods) looks delicious! I have a couple that are ripe and ready to use - I was going to make guacamole, but instead, I'm going to keep it simple and just slice them up and use them as an accompaniment for our chicken fajitas tonight.

Robert, the photo doesn't do them justice! Those are creamy 1-lb Patate Gold avocadoes, which are only available for the space of about 3 weeks in Ambato (which, I presume, is about 1 week after the few growers in Patate with the trees harvest them). When you open them, the flesh around the pit to about 1/4" from the skin is a clear, wonderful yellow gold colour. They're among my favourite types of avocado, behind Santo Domingo Giants and Puyo Reds. I'm kind of cheesed that the gold colour washed out in the picture; they're really not that green at all.

Kim, there's a reason I have a nice charcoal grill! In the summertime, I do a lot of cooking outdoors and also a lot of chilled salads (more on that later - Andean tubers are best for these). I love the heat - as a former -40 degree-er, it's gorgeous.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Kim -- I'm so glad you liked the Shrimp Cakes! There are times when I forget about the recipe, but then as soon as I make them I kick myself for not having them more often! And did I mention they reheat beautifully? Mmmmmm. I may have to make them again soon...

The recipe looks great. Do you just reheat in the oven? If so, seems like they would be great as appetizers for a large group that can be made in advance. Have you done that?

Donna