• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

I love the olive peeking out from the end of the loaf  :biggrin:

I swear I didn't plan that. It was just looking at me like a little eyeball when I tookit out of the pan!

This is a take off of a recipe from Cooks Illustrated, which has yeast and takes time for rising(s). The essential taste is exactly the same, but it doesn't have the same chew and crust.

Overall, I love this recipe and it really helps when your in a pinch for time, or just can't babysit bread all day.

Edited by monavano (log)

Megan, I hope we will be seeing more of you around here. Cucumberphiles unite!

Tonight Mrs. C grilled skin-on walleye fillets. The grownups coated our half-fillets with a mixture of green curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, and basil. Younger son sprinkled his with cinnamon. :blink: Elder son kept it simple – salt, pepper, and lime juice. Simpler turned out to be better.

Megan, I hope we will be seeing more of you around here. Cucumberphiles unite!

My stupid fridge froze the cucumber I bought yesterday :hmmm: Anyone have a recipe for cucumber sorbet? :raz:

Here's two recent dinners.....neither of them turned out particularly awesome though. Sunday was squash soup, which in my opinion actually tasted better just as roasted squash out of the oven. Monday I made latkes/potato pancakes. I think the pan wasn't hot enough--they were oilier than I think they should have been. But the applesauce (well, dry applesauce) was tasty. I call it: dinner by grater! :biggrin:

1719471459_036d00e178.jpg

1720315910_1b62dbd98f.jpg

Kate

Cucumberphiles unite!

Tonight Mrs. C grilled skin-on walleye fillets. The grownups coated our half-fillets with a mixture of green curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, and basil. Younger son sprinkled his with cinnamon. :blink:  Elder son kept it simple ? salt, pepper, and lime juice. Simpler turned out to be better.

bruce - walleye is so sweet it needs nothing but itself so i will side with elder son since he is closest to pure. and give me cucumbers (johnnybird can't see the point in them but what does he know?)

and dodie - like some sauce with your cinnamon rolls? john would saalam you. i have had to teach him how to make a basic vanilla flavored spread for his cinnamon rolls.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My stupid fridge froze the cucumber I bought yesterday  :hmmm:  Anyone have a recipe for cucumber sorbet? :raz:

My fridge often plots against me in the same way. If you were going to give them some salt, sugar and vinegar after thin slicing them, they are actually useable though not attractive. Worth a shot.

Dr. J that looks great! Although... I'm not quite sure what it is? I'm sure it's tasty anyway :raz:

This is actually from yesterday:

gallery_56306_5160_2580.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_580.jpg

There was left over goat curry (no solids left, only the liquid -each was brought in different containers) left from a previous bbq party of sorts so mum took much of it home and I decided to throw in some chicken, bamboo shoots, onions, sweet potato and coconut milk (because it was a tad salty) to make into a home meal :)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Ce'nedra - I got this fabulous recipe from this site: Confessions of a Pioneer Woman cinnrolls

Suzilightning - my hubby says the icing is VERY important. Like what SIF said, you can't never have too much of it. :biggrin:

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I made chickpea burgers with hommus, guacamole and dillfritters, I was having a very meat-eating friend over and wanted to show him how good vegan food can be. The buns are made with okara, which gives very moist bread with a nutty flavor. I always have it on hand from making soymilk.

I think that burger would convert anyone! It looks very enticing. Please tell me more about using okara in bread. I never know what to do with mine. I stick it in the fridge with good intentions and then end up throwing it out. Adding it to bread dough would be great, since I usually make 2-3 loaves per week in a Zo bread machine. Is there a simple way to add the okara to the pre-existing breadmachine recipes, e.g., substitute some of the flour with okara? What would be the approximate proportion, if you know?

Prawncrackers - gorgeous chop! I would have loved that whole meal!

Doodad - would love a report on the pallet du porc. Sound very good!

Doddie - Your cinnamon rolls are beautiful. I love 'Ree' - I read the blog every day - I think I found it through you, actually! I will be trying these!

Ce'nedra - I, too, thought the prawns looked luscious. Thanks for posting directions!

Well, I guess it is only honest to post failures as well as successes. This was a failure:

gallery_34972_3580_995001.jpg

It was a slow cooker recipe for chicken thighs, potatoes & leeks. And it was as dull as it looks. Incredibly bland and boring. I am sorry for the picture quality, but I took the picture after I tasted and I think my dissapointment colored my photo :wink: . I am going to bone the mountain of thighs left today to make a good old comforting chicken and dressing casserole. Even the brocolli was bitter and stinky. :angry:

Kim

Grilled boneless leg of lamb seasoned with garlic and onion powder, paprika, cayenne and S & P

Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, cucumber dill sauce, bbq sauce and pita

gallery_23695_426_88449.jpg

become this

gallery_23695_426_321077.jpg

and then there was Pie

gallery_23695_426_329454.jpg

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Tracey, is it apple?  Looks yummy!

Indeed

Opalescent - a great local baking variety the slices hold their shape perfectly and an all butter crust. If I had only remembered the starch to thicken the juices it would have been a 10

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Doodad - would love a report on the pallet du porc. Sound very good!

Kim

You know what? That was a great, easy dish that came out like I had paid for it. I am definitely falling in love with bistro fare. It was a bit time consuming, but we make a point to try to cook every day. I have very few boxes and cans in my pantry.

The sauce that it made by itself was killer. We figured with the shoulder on sale at $5, a salad, and green beans on the side (to which I added some of the veg from the bottom of the pot) it was about a $10 meal with plenty of shoulder leftovers.

So sorry guys, I keep forgetting to add the description.

Vanilla Ice cream with some mint leaf up top. With basil infused oil on the sides. The oil came out great and its very subtle flavor went very well with the ice cream.

Everybodys food looks great.

Vanilla IceCream is good ol' Hagen dazs.

Doodad - thanks for the report! I have marked that recipe to make soon!

Percyn - gorgeous meatballs. Now, I have a craving!

Tonight's dinner was much, much better. I started with this:

gallery_34972_3580_117015.jpg

That's bacon from Benton's in Tennessee. Fantastic stuff!

Then these heirloom tomatoes:

gallery_34972_3580_555600.jpg

Finally dinner:

gallery_34972_3580_671910.jpg

BLT's with corn and skillet potatoes. The potatoes are those blah ones from the other night that I rescued by mashing them up with lots of salt and pepper and fried up in the bacon grease from the Benton's. Much, much better results!

Oh, and another slice of this for dessert:

gallery_34972_3570_878823.jpg

Kim

tostadas.

had some corn tortillas left over. I fried them up to make the actual tostadas. then made some [re]fried beans with a can of pinto beans, a bit of garlic, and some bacon fat. topped tostadas with beans and some left over steak and chicken I had made previously for tacos, some roasted poblanos and onions, and some salsa that I still had left over from the tacos.

Freaking good. Frying up some corn tortillas just before you top them makes a huge difference, even when using common supermarket corn tortillas.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"