• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Domestic Goddess: Thank you sooo much! :biggrin: It looks really delicious and I like the homestyle feel :) Would I be able to have the recipe please? About the ground toasted rice, is it sold at the markets or do you have to make it yourself? Mmm...my mouth is watering...better clean up the keyboard!

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

I felt like something different for dinner, so I wandered around my supermarket for a while looking for inspiration. I found a nice looking steak, and I knew I had a slightly stale baguette at home, left over from a food-buying orgy at Tokyu Foodshow, so I decided on pan-fried steak with panzanella. Not pictured is the cheap red wine we had - Penfold's Rawson's Retreat Shiraz Cabernet, in case anyone's interested - at 800 yen, I thought it was a bargain.

gallery_41378_5233_185247.jpg

This was my first time pan-frying steak, and I doubt I was able to get the pan hot enough to please the people over on the charred steak thread, but it was perfectly cooked to my taste. I didn't have any balsamic vinegar for the salad, so I used the rice vinegar I already had at home.

gallery_41378_5233_27000.jpg

Dessert was cheesecake - okay, it was store-bought, but I put the strawberry jam on - does that count?

Live it up and Jensen, here's the link to the recipe, baked artichoke squares Its actually from Atkin's site so I think that I am not allowed to put it in recipegullet. Next time, I may tinker a little bit and add possibly a little mayo, since they were a tiny bit dry, still good. Also, more cheese on the top would be my next change as well, to get it to brown a little better. Let me know how you like them.

Brined & Roasted Pastured Raised Chicken w/Maine New Potatoes and Grain Mustard Sauce

gallery_39170_2381_143505.jpg

My husband loves grain mustard, as do I, and I think this would be right up his alley. Recipe please?

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Butter lettuce salad with pickled red onions, spiced pecans and homemade blue cheese dressing

Baked country ham

Homemade sour cherry jam

Lee Bros biscuits

Sage cornbread

John Cope's Stewed Corn

Haricots verts

Sauteed apples with butterscotch-calvados ice cream and a sage shortbread cookie

Domestic Goddess: Thank you sooo much!  :biggrin: It looks really delicious and I like the homestyle feel :) Would I be able to have the recipe please? About the ground toasted rice, is it sold at the markets or do you have to make it yourself? Mmm...my mouth is watering...better clean up the keyboard!

Ce'nedra,

Kare-kare recipe in your inbox. That is my family's recipe handed down from generation to generation. And yes I do toast my own rice in a wok and then pulverize it with my blender. Remember, never use peanut butter in the sauce. Just ground cooked peanuts (roasted, baked or fried).

BTW, what does your name mean? I mean, it's quite unusual. :smile:

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Oh, that looks good, Ted Fairhead. Was that made in a skillet? I'm always on the lookout for recipes that don't require an oven.

Yes, its very simple. Quickly saute three large cloves minced garlic in 3 ozs of butter, then add three pounded chicken breasts. Brown them, both sides and remove to a warm plate. In same skillet add another couple of ounces of butter and two large cloves minced garlic, then add whole jar of quartered artichokes, well drained, and a cup of sliced mushrooms. Brown them, about 6-7 minutes, add 1/4 cup (more or less) of marsala. Bring to a fast simmer until sauce thickens a little and pour over chicken breasts. Season to taste and sprinkle parsley and lemon juice.

From "The Garlic Lovers' Cookbook".

We had a simple, yet very comforting dish of spinach and ricotta-stuffed shells for our dinner tonight. I used some Asiago instead of Parmesan this time and added a couple pinches of crushed red pepper for heat.

gallery_51259_4126_89357.jpg

Marcia: Nice to see you posting again. The butternut squash coconut curry soup looked particularly lovely.

Thanks - I've been lurking and enjoying all the pictures (and vowing one of these days real soon now I'm going to find the local Asian markets!), but it's been just a couple of those months. Thank goodness for real food!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I have been lurking years, looking at all of the wonderful dinners in awe. Now that I have graduated from college and cooking on a regular basis, I have finally gotten the courage to start posting. Since I cooked something from RecipeGullet (roasted cauliflower), I decided now was as good a time as any to make my first post. My humble dinner:

Pan Roasted Chicken Breast with shallot and thyme pan sauce

Polenta

Roasted Cauliflower

Mixed Green Salad with gorgonzola piccante, EVOO, and balsamic

2006 Bolognani Trentino Nosiola

I still don't have the courage to post pics (my dinner was definitely not as pretty as the others on this thread), but I must say it was a delicious dinner. And I think it looks good enough on paper to keep posting my dinners :smile:

Edit: I should add that the roast cauliflower was excellent. Thank you eGullet!

Edited by HappyLab (log)

Up thread a little, a couple of people asked for the artichoke square recipe.  I had the wrong link in there.  Here is the correct one.  Sorry about that. Baked Artichoke Squares

Looks good, Stephanie, but why the Soya powder? Maybe just to add protein, or is it a binder? What can be substituted for it, or is it optional?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Up thread a little, a couple of people asked for the artichoke square recipe.  I had the wrong link in there.  Here is the correct one.  Sorry about that. Baked Artichoke Squares

Looks good, Stephanie, but why the Soya powder? Maybe just to add protein, or is it a binder? What can be substituted for it, or is it optional?

Since they are low carb, I guess they said to use that, probably more as a binder. I actually used a low carb bake mix instead. If you aren't concerned about carbs, I would guess that flour would work as well.

Had an all-apps catering job last night so a few extras were munchies/dinner:

Mini Pizzas - thin and crispy crusts, medium-rare duck breast slices, goat cheese, wild blueberry/port reduction, finished with a pinch of vanilla salt.

Smoked Salmon Chiboust - maybe a savory chiboust is getting too far off track but I do it anyway, it's lighter than the traditional salmon mousse.

Mini Cheeseburgers - bite-sized buns, seasoned beef & pork burgers, stilton, coarse mustard and onion confit.

Crab Cheesecake Bites with Wild Mushroom and Creme Fraiche - the name sums it up.

Sweet and Spicy Chicken Lollipops - never wanted to put chicken pops on the menu before but the customer requested them so...

Apologies for the lack of pictures.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I have been lurking years, looking at all of the wonderful dinners in awe.  Now that I have graduated from college and cooking on a regular basis, I have finally gotten the courage to start posting.  Since I cooked something from RecipeGullet (roasted cauliflower), I decided now was as good a time as any to make my first post.  My humble dinner:

Pan Roasted Chicken Breast with shallot and thyme pan sauce

Polenta

Roasted Cauliflower

Mixed Green Salad with gorgonzola piccante, EVOO, and balsamic

2006 Bolognani Trentino Nosiola

I still don't have the courage to post pics (my dinner was definitely not as pretty as the others on this thread), but I must say it was a delicious dinner.  And I think it looks good enough on paper to keep posting my dinners  :smile:

Edit: I should add that the roast cauliflower was excellent.  Thank you eGullet!

Your dinner sounds wonderful - isn't that cauliflower great? Please do post your pictures (and there's lots of help if ImageGullet has you confuzzled) - my pictures and dinners definitely aren't pretty, but hey, they're what we're actually eating for dinner.

(I've posted pictures of spam souffle and the taco meat/velveeta creation above - you can't do worse! :biggrin: )

Welcome and hope to hear/see more from you!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

doctortim: That looks delicious - details, please? Butter chicken has been on my list since we had an incredible restaurant version that even younger son loved. Did you make your own tandoori chicken?

Thanks C. sapidus. The recipe's a bit of a mashup, pulled together from various other recipes I've seen. I'm not very precise on the amounts. To make the chicken I marinated chicken pieces in equal parts yoghurt and tandoori curry paste (bought), then baked them in a scorching hot oven so there was some charred edges.

Then for the sauce, I slowly sautéed half an onion in ghee, then turned up the heat and added quite a bit of minced ginger, some minced garlic, and some diced chilli. To that I added 1/2 tsp of turmeric and cooked it very quickly before adding some canned tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes down, then add some garam masala, ground black pepper, toasted then ground cumin seeds, and some cilantro. This was blended with a stick blender, then seasoned with salt and honey to get the right balance. Then I added the cooked chicken pieces, some water, and simmered it all uncovered for about an hour. Once the chicken was tender I added some cashews, some cream, and further adjusted the seasoning with salt and honey.

I've had butter chicken that's sweet and butter chicken that takes sourness from adding more yoghurt than cream, but I prefer some sweetness. The cashews add a lot, and one recipe I read even suggested reserving and pulverizing some cashews into a paste to add to the sauce.

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Vanilla chicken? Is the vanilla in a sauce? How does it work?

I tried a version of the 40 cloves of garlic chicken recipe that was in this week's NYT Dining section - but I got bored peeling cloves, and decided to add some garlic scapes instead. Very "Iron Chef", I thought, featuring two aspects of the garlic plant. I also managed to find a bottle of Marsala, so I glugged that in instead of the white wine called for in the recipe. I'll be trying to use that bottle up before I have to move again in 6 weeks, so if anyone knows any (non-oven) recipes that call for marsala, please let me know.

gallery_41378_5233_8858.jpg

We had it with a nice loaf of sourdough bread from a bakery in Ikebukuro and a bottle of chilean sauvignon blanc. Dessert was apricot pastries from the same bakery:

gallery_41378_5233_210082.jpg

That onion soup looks amazing...do you think I could substitute marsala for the vermouth called for in the recipe? :raz:

I had some pumpkin risotto left over, so I made some arancini balls. We both had three of them with adjika (a spicy Georgian pepper condiment) for dinner, followed by the prune & curd cheese dessert (photo here on the What's for Dessert thread)

gallery_43137_2974_49338.jpg

Nakji - love the use of garlic scapes in the 40 garlic cloves chicken recipe - very inventive!!!