• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Wow, beautiful dinners everywhere!

With Rachel’s Mexican foodblog as motivation, we made pollo en escabeche and arroz blanco from Mexican Everyday. Caramelized onions and carrots, halved garlic cloves, pickled jalapenos, vinegar, black pepper, allspice, and Mexican oregano made a lively combination with braised chicken thighs.

Arroz blanco is my new favorite. Fry dry jasmine rice with a chopped white onion and garlic, add chicken stock and salt, bring to a boil, and finish in a 350F oven, resulting in wonderful taste and texture. Cucumbers and the last garden tomatoes on the side.

Edited 'cuz I forgot about the carrots.

gallery_42956_2536_65524.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

I love soup. I wish I had an immersion blender so I could make more of it. I was worried coming home tonight because it's night-before-payday, and all I had in the fridge was a chicken breast and some random scraps of vegetables and things. But I got inspired when my husband revealed he dipped into our reserve for a Thursday night pick-me-up bottle of riesling. So I rose to the challenge, and filleted the chicken breast into three pieces, stuffed them with garlic scapes and grainy mustard, and wrapped them with bacon. I pan seared them, and finished in the pan with the cover on. A little cream would have been nice for a pan sauce, and some toothpicks to hold them together, but I didn't have any. Still tasted great, though.

gallery_41378_5233_92156.jpg

David Ross: That chicken looks SO good and MOIST! GOODNESS!

And the parsnip salad is really elegant.

Peter the eater: That steak could really turn even a vegetarian into a meat-eater!

C. sapidus: As usual, I'm not surprised that your food is sooo good! I love Mexican cuisine (another of my favourites...I think I have many favs though :unsure: )!

Ok I can't be bothered listing everyone but really, EVERYTHING here is really a feast for the eyes :wub:

As for me, I've got ot admit I'm more than a little embarassed posting mine (had to choose today didn't I :hmmm: ). Had a simple dinner tonight: pan-fried fish-tofu puff with sauce and rice. Can I just point out that all I did was pan fry those puffs? I bought the damn things (oh the shame!). Although I did make the sauce (easy but made all the same) :raz:

gallery_56306_5160_91291.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_29661.jpg

Also made dessert today- Apple, Cinnamon & Sour Cream Cake (doesn't look all that nice but it tasted relatively good despite being a little dry... )

gallery_56306_5160_77662.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_57372.jpg

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Well there's not much point taking food pictures if you don't show them to anybody . . .

Buddy gave us a big chunk of salmon yesterday - to much to eat fresh so I cut some steaks and put a few fillets on salt/sugar/dill for gravlax - the rest is freezing.

I had some help with the steaks, made boneless and skewered:

gallery_42214_4635_15288.jpg

Up close with basmati and sweet peas:

gallery_42214_4635_78864.jpg

For lunch we shallow-fried the odd pieces of salmon, and made some fries:

gallery_42214_4635_81013.jpg

Ce'nedra: if want to turn that vegetarian back from the dark side, check out Anna Friedman Herlihy's outrageous dinner here in case you missed it.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Last weekend:

-Apple, Pear and Parsnip Salad with Toasted Walnuts, Bleu Cheese and Apple Cider Vinaigrette

gallery_41580_4407_128479.jpg

David,

Do you think I could substitute fennel for the parsnip? Recipe for the cider vinaigrette? Is the vinaigrette a little sweet?

You could definately substitute fennel for the parsnip. I have also done this salad with sweet potato. I cut the apple and pears raw, leaving the skin on. I soak the cut fruit in a bit of chilled lemon water so it doesn't brown while I cut the vegetables. If I am using parsnip, turnip, rutabaga or sweet potato, I might blanch it in boiling water for a minute just to soften it up a bit, then chill in ice water to retain its crunch

The vinaigrette is simple. Sorry, I don't have measurements but I know you've all got the expertise to make the vinaigrette to your own tastes.

Dijon mustard

Walnut Oil

Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple Cider

Sugar

Salt

Pepper

Fresh thyme

I like using walnut oil in this dish to accent the flavor of the toasted walnuts sprinkled on the salad. Yes, it is a vinaigrette on the sweet side.

Everyone, gorgeous food!!  Too many to mention!!

David  Your chicken looks awesome.  Do you find that you use your "set it and forget it" often?  Often enough to warrant buying one?  I have debated a lot about purchasing one......

I love my "Showtime" Rotisserie Grill. It's about 5 years old and almost ready for an upgrade! I use it a lot-especially for roast chicken. It actually makes better roast chickens than I get at the supermarket. I cook them a bit longer than the recipe booklet recommends-I 'set it and forget it' for about 1 1/2 hours. You never have to worry about dry chicken-the fat and juices self-baste the chicken as it rotates-and I always get a crispy skin.

I also use it for prime rib and game hens-although with game hens you have to jerry-rig the spit a bit since it is designed for larger poultry. It would be a cheap and wise investment. I think I paid around $185 for it 5 years ago.

I suppose a lot of people would turn their nose up at the Showtime, but it really is just a small, home version of the basic rotisserie that you may find in really upscale restaurant kitchens-the industrial units that cost thousands!

First off, percyn, chorizo corn bread? That sounds like one of the most delicious things ever thought of. May I be so bold as to ask for the recipe? I really think I have to make that as soon as possible.

Ok, a couple of recent dinners:

Last night was a simple roasted chicken. I've tried a ton of different ways of roasting chicken (basting, not basting, brined, cheesecloth, etc), but I think Thomas Keller's method from the Bouchon cookbook is the best way (the one at the beginning of the book). This was served with a chive twiced baked potato; the cheese on top is drunken goat. And then some mediocre (at best) bread.

gallery_49390_5291_864898.jpg

We also have an apple pie. This one was a little anemic, but oh well. Still tasted pretty good.

gallery_49390_5291_506909.jpg

Tonight's dinner was one of the last from our closest farmers' market (very sad when it ends). Bone-in sirloin with gremolata over a roasted butternut squash puree. Then steamed broccoli with toasted garlic breadcrumbs and pecorino romano. This time we had some good bread! The wine was a borolo.

gallery_49390_5291_1272549.jpg

Edited by rwsweet (log)

. . . I love Mexican cuisine (another of my favourites...I think I have many favs though  :unsure: )!

Ce’nedra: Thank you! Yes, I got the impression that you had a lot of favorites. :wink: Would you mind shipping some of your apple, cinnamon, and sour cream cake half-way around the world?

monavano: That is a gorgeous picture!

I was supposed to make dinner tonight, but had to work late, eating leftover chicken and rice at my desk. When I finally arrived home, Mrs. C fried Asian eggplant slices after dredging them in Fish and Critter Fry, crushed Utz Red Hot Potato Chips, and panko. Good stuff - she claims that Cat Cora did something similar on Iron Chef.

Yup, she’s a nut. :wub:

gallery_42956_2536_43649.jpg

First off, percyn, chorizo corn bread?  That sounds like one of the most delicious things ever thought of.  May I be so bold as to ask for the recipe?  I really think I have to make that as soon as possible.

Thanks rwsweet. It is quite simple actually...add sliced Chorizo to your favorite corn bread batter for a more robust version. In this case I used a cornbread mix I bought at the House of Blues....it had dried corn kernels and rosemary added.

Oh, and I would stick with Spanish chorizo vs the mexican one...the smoked paprika imparts a great flavor.

Cheers

Percy

Pics are not so good, but I tried to make the "cover story" from October's Bon Appetit.... Cabernet Braised Short Ribs with Gorgonzola Polenta.

It starts with this:

gallery_51818_5098_619216.jpg

And morphs to this :

gallery_51818_5098_214612.jpg

And this:

gallery_51818_5098_672046.jpg

And I can't believe I don't have a final pic! :hmmm: It was beautiful and tasty!

Edited to add final pic:

gallery_51818_5098_453221.jpg

Edited by Jamie Lee (log)

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

Tonight's dinner was my entry in a "hash off" between the Jensen house and the Jensens' Neighbours' house:

gallery_11420_759_36345.jpg

I've no idea when the next installment of the hash off will happen but I'm already looking forward to it.

Assuming that picture was corned beef didn't stop me from thinking it looked like pulled pork....I wonder how that would be for hash :rolleyes:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

tracey - I would give my next vacation for that 'shore dinner'!

Jamie Lee - I thought your pancakes were lovely. Tasty looking, too! And I was also mesmerized by the short ribs on the magazine cover! I'm glad that it worked so well.

David - I am so glad that you posted the directions for that gorgeous Apple, Pear and Parsnip Salad. It is just beautiful and sounds perfect to go with pork (which I am craving daily now that fall weather is almost here).

A couple of nights ago we had Pan Roasted Pork Chops w/ Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta and broccoli (the sauce on the pork chops is a nice little pan sauce made with a purchased Caramelized red onion and Fig savory topping):

gallery_34972_3580_138587.jpg

Tonight was crabmeat au gratin, (that same) polenta - pan fried, baked chili beans and sauteed summer squash and onions:

gallery_34972_3580_638167.jpg

Hmmm. Plate was a little bland looking, huh?

Kim

It was a cold and chilly day today and perfect for:

Fish Sinigang Soup*

gallery_48583_3621_15304.jpg

I used bangus (milkfish) and added taro root, okra, eggplant and kangkong (water spinach). Eaten with lotsa rice and fish sauce.

*Maybe I should also post this in the fish heads thread. :raz:

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Typical Dutch homey meal. Hachee, mash, red cabbage with apples . The Dutchman was so happy  :biggrin:  (as was I. Very comforting)

gallery_21328_3810_106156.jpg

That looks absolutely delicious! And yes, like you said, very homey :raz:

Reminds me alot of good ol' German food (which I had last night)! Could I have the recipe please? :biggrin:

Sweet mayonnaise prawns & Asian salad

gallery_56306_5160_106228.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_69241.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_42611.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_94379.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_68299.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_42113.jpg

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

That looks absolutely delicious! And yes, like you said, very homey  :raz:

Reminds me alot of good ol' German food (which I had last night)! Could I have the recipe please?  :biggrin:

This is Chufi's hachee recipe

I like my mash buttery so lots of butter and cream (milk makes it too watery for my taste). Traditionally, Dutch people also use nutmeg but I didn't have any.

For the braised red cabbage with apples (enough for 3-4 people):

1 Granny Smith (chopped in small chunks)

1 large red cabbage (finely sliced)

1 onion (chopped)

large knob of butter

half cup orange juice

2 bay leaves

2 cloves

1 cinnamon stick

approx. 2tbs brown sugar

When butter has melted, fry the onions until fragrant and soft. Add everything else except for the apples (some people like the apples soft so they put it with the onions but I like my apples crispy so I leave that to the end). Cover the pot and braise for around 25 minutes. Add the chopped apple chunks and braise for another 5 minutes or so.

Edited to add that I'm usually too lazy to do that by myself so I just buy jars or packets of the braised cabbage from the supermarket. Also, there are many ways to braise cabbage. Some people like to braise red cabbage with wine, others with anise seeds or with raisins...

Edited by yunnermeier (log)

Ce'nedra, your shrimp dishes look amazing, just beautiful!

Doddie, for a moment I thought I was in the "other" dinner thread! :wink: That is something I have never tried, but would love to.

In fact, everything looks great, as usual.

I felt like grilling last night. Tossed on some veggies, (a little too charred)

gallery_48503_4919_157645.jpg

a sirloin and squid,

gallery_48503_4919_1088944.jpg

Plated with a lemon, butter, and caper drizzle. Not so pretty.

gallery_48503_4919_521248.jpg

Veggies were overdone, but still good, steak was a little less rare than I like it, but the squid was insanely delish.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!