• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

mmm lobster.

last night was drunken motzoh ball soup. I was druken, the soup was fantastic...everybody raved. I used some of the chicken stock I made the other day, and it makes such a huge difference

served with a 2004 grey goose vodka :raz:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Dinner last night with Mooshmouse & the Mouse Clan.  This was our answer to not being able to brave the snowstorm and drive the 5 hours to Kamloops.  In hindsight, the storm was welcome ...

Huge claps from me and the rest of the Mouse House for a truly fabulous dinner last night! And I always say that great food is made even better by great company. :biggrin:

Thanks again.

:wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

as johnnybird takes his post dinner nap...

simple with leftovers for tonight.

i tried a new recipe from one of the mags - zinfandel cranberry sauce. oh my gawd. it was one of the best sweet and tart tastes. this went with a small pork roast done on a bed of leeks. i made a potato onion gratin and had a few pieces of potato leftover so cooked and mashed them with some leftover roasted garlic and a non-dairy sour cream i found in shoprite. john inhaled this. the veg was baby carrots cut on the bias cooked simply in some salted water then finished in a pan with some light olive oil, key lime honey(i HAVE to get a supply of this), fresh tarragon and a few scrapes of nutmeg.

leftovers for tomorrow at work for both of us :wub: ... life is good.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thanks for the Flens photo, B. All this is making me wish for more.

:wub: ... life is good.
You know you got it right when those are the sentiments... :smile:

gallery_13038_576_1105315386.jpg

Tonight I threw together pasta and salad with stuff on hand. The pasta sauce was based on pancetta and mushrooms, and a Pinot Noir matched up nicely. Nice ending to a cloudless day that made it to the 80's... Bathing suit weather for walking on the beach! Life is good.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Dinner is all about experimentation these days. Tonight it's a Octopus and White runner bean salad. I baked the beans in the oven for two hours with some bay leaves. a meyers lemon rind and some garlic and onion, Tossed that with grilled octopus and olives....Sometimes, even I surprise myself.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

ooops better try again

T

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

gallery_23695_426_1105317935.jpg

I may or may not have just posted a loverly picture of shrimp scampi pizza from dinner a few weeks ago.....fingers crossed :blink:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

gallery_23695_426_1105319355.jpg

made a quick trip to Matsuwa Market in NJ today got way too many goodies made my first sushi roll tonight and a big pan of new zealand mussels with garlic and hot peppers

need a nice piece of pork to go with the maitaki, baby bock choi and pickled veggies for tomorrow

T

Maxine

My Webpage

Tomato soup with Indian spices and fresh cheese, more or less from Indian Home Cooking, and a sorta-kinda deconstructed pesto frittata: some frozen basil puree from this summer and sauteed onions and garlic and pine nuts. We have no parmasean cheese just now, so I am using porcini powder for the umaminess.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Shrimpollapalooza

Hot shrimp chips with gomasio.

Poached U10 shrimp, room temperature, hung on the edge of a small bowl with a hot shoyu and lime dipping sauce.

Shrimp spring rolls with a shrimp/lobster creme fraiche dipping sauce and deep-fried shrimp legs and heads tossed in a small mound of mesclun salad with a chile oil vinaigrete and a bit of American sturgeon caviar.

Steamed silken tofu cakes with baby shrimp on a bed of yu choy

Mounds of butterflied shrimp deep-fried with panko crust with togarashi that can be rolled in .

Shrimp cakes (like crab cakes with minced Chinese long beans) with dai gai choy (Chinese mustard greens) and mustard puree dipping sauce.

Congee (made with kombu, Chinese huagu [flower mushroom stems], and shellfish stock) with dried shrimp and koya tofu, watercress.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Ok, my first post, so here we go. Tonight I am making Roasted pork loin with winter veggies (turnip, onion, rutebega, and parsnip) and a black truffle risotto. Mmmmm... :rolleyes:

I am so happy to see so many enthused about food people!!

Shrimpollapalooza

Hot shrimp chips with gomasio.

Poached U10 shrimp, room temperature, hung on the edge of a small bowl with a hot shoyu and lime dipping sauce.

Shrimp spring rolls with a shrimp/lobster creme fraiche dipping sauce and deep-fried shrimp legs and heads tossed in a small mound of mesclun salad with a chile oil vinaigrete and a bit of American sturgeon caviar.

Steamed silken tofu cakes with baby shrimp on a bed of yu choy

Mounds of butterflied shrimp deep-fried with panko crust with togarashi that can be rolled in .

Shrimp cakes (like crab cakes with minced Chinese long beans) with dai gai choy (Chinese mustard greens) and mustard puree dipping sauce.

Congee (made with kombu, Chinese huagu [flower mushroom stems], and shellfish stock) with dried shrimp and koya tofu, watercress.

OMG that sounds FANTASTIC, Jin. :wub::wub::wub:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Yesterday - Paneer Paratha (Indian flatbread stuffed with cottage cheese and spices) with (Sicilian) Caponata. Followed by cheese plate (not pictured)

gallery_21049_162_1105323786.jpg

Today - Impromptu Butternut squash soup garnished with chives, black truffle butter and white truffle oil (what a coincidence Daddy-A, though your version sounds better).

gallery_21049_162_1105323942.jpg

Salad with vine ripe tomatoes and miniature mozzarella balls

gallery_21049_162_1105324828.jpg

Dessert - Chocolate Mousse from Pierre Hermes' book (so easy and so delicious)

gallery_21049_162_1105324048.jpg

Cheers

Percy

P.S : Susan, welcome back. Missmaia, welcome and look forward to your posts. Daddy-A, keep up the good work (might have to invite myself to one of your dinner parties and fly down :wink: ).

My first entry.

Quite simply, tonight we're having twice roasted 5-spice duck with a tangerine sauce with Grand Marnier, wild mushroom rissotto, steamed broccoli and a baby green salad with balsamic vinegrette dressing.

This is my attempt at duck...not much meat and WOW look at all that fat!  This is a peking duck (I think (white?)) purchased at a local asian market.  Is there a particular type of duck with more meat or all they about the same?

Last night we had chicken breast with stuffed with cilantro, garlic and onions, a side of roasted cauliflower and roasted garlic loaf.  The roasted garlic loaf was a hit.  Bought it at Costco.  My wife said she thinks she liked it better than the Gilroy Garlic Festival recipe I have for their garlic bread.  I'm still undecided because it's a different taste all together.  Man, just thinking about it, I can't wait until July 29th.  The festival started in 1979 and since my first year in 1981, I've only missed 4 years.  I love the GGF. (sorry for going OT).

Cheers,

Bob

Howdy, Bob. Welcome.

(I live very near to Gilroy, myself.)

Wanna try my recipe for garlic bread?

Ultimate Garlic Bread concoction

Mix in a smallish bowl with a fork:

1 stick butter, softened

A few cloves of crushed/minched fresh garlic

Grated parmesan cheese (about 2 TBL.)

Italian Seasoning (less than 1 TSP.)

Slather thickly on slices of (preferably) Alfaro's 4-Seed Sour (a local bread, but do your best), and broil until the butter and cheese are molten, and barely golden brown.

Thanks a lot, I will give it a go. Since you're near Gilroy (where abouts?) have you been to the festival? Gilroy is the Garlic capital of the world, ya know. Gourmet Alley's garlic bread during the Garlic Festival is a tough one to compete with. Here is the recipe I got from them:

"Melt 1/2 cup butter & 1/2 cup margerine in a sauce pan. Add 1/4 oil and 10 cloves of minced garlic. Simmer over low heat for 1 minute. Add 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp Oregano and 1/2 cup white wine. Bring to a boil. Add 2 Tbl chopped parsley. Remove from heat and pour into large baking pan. Cut 2 french bread loaves in half lengthwise. Toast on grill or under broiler until golden brown. Dip toasted halves, cut side down, in butter mixture. Serve immediately"

When I dip the bread in the mixture I REALLY dip the bread making sure there's plenty of garlic and herbs on each piece....GAWD that's good stuff.

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Saturday night: Nueske's ham, potato gratin, roasted fennel with parmesan

Yesterday: For the upcoming week, made a yummy white bean soup and an "Italian Beef" chuck roast in the Crockpot; also made jambalaya with ham and chicken and cornbread with scallions which we had last night. I think we are pretty much set for the week, and that makes me feel good.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Today - Impromptu Butternut squash soup garnished with chives, black truffle butter and white truffle oil (what a coincidence Daddy-A, though your version sounds better).

gallery_21049_162_1105323942.jpg

I dunno Percy ... the truffles you used may have trumped mine! :biggrin:

Daddy-A, keep up the good work (might have to invite myself to one of your dinner parties and fly down  :wink: ).

Fly down? You mean some of you are further north? :shock: You're welcome anytime. You do like dogs, right??

A.

Nice lemon cookies Pam! :smile:

Last night was a big Sunday supper:

Roast chestnut ravioli with butter/sage and more chestnuts. Delicious...but so rich.

Pan roast pork chops finished with thyme and key lime juice...and a little bit of the cheese stuffing from the roasted tomatoes.

Vegetables: crispy zucchini strips, sauteed radicchio (how do you spell that??), roasted sweet onions, and stuffed cherry tomatoes (gruyere, garlic, shallots, rosemary)

Full bellies all around! :biggrin:

Nice lemon cookies Pam!  :smile:

Last night was a big Sunday supper:

Roast chestnut ravioli with butter/sage and more chestnuts.  Delicious...but so rich.

Pan roast pork chops finished with thyme and key lime juice...and a little bit of the cheese stuffing from the roasted tomatoes.

Vegetables: crispy zucchini strips, sauteed radicchio (how do you spell that??), roasted sweet onions, and stuffed cherry tomatoes (gruyere, garlic, shallots, rosemary)

Full bellies all around!  :biggrin:

Sounds delicious, hathor. I think I should've had Sunday dinner at your house. :wub:

Crispy zucchini strips?? Fried til crisp? Butter? Herbs? Sounds intriguing.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

gallery_13038_576_1105406247.jpg

We used our new Thai pot and steaming basket, and made sticky rice for the first time tonight. Mmmm good! The cooking methods for this and the Jasmine rice are giving me a different appreciation of rice. Before this Thai cooking spree that I've been on, I had never soaked or even rinsed rice before. Note the fancy presentation, the cheese cloth it was wrapped in for steaming. :biggrin:

I also made Red Chicken Curry with peas and the red curry paste to go in that (however, it didn't turn out very red in color), Thai Stir-fried Cabbage, Northern Thai Sausage, and Vietnamese Must-have Table Sauce.

What I could have made a meal on was the finger food... forming the sticky rice into balls and dipping it into the Vietnamese Sauce. That could be addicting! :wub:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Salad of razor thin slices of strip loin steak with chrysthanemum greens and arugula with a Dijon vinaigrette.

A poached quail egg topped with mustard sprouts on a piece of Canadian back bacon on a Chinese spoon.

Beef consomme around a quarter of red onion roasted with shiro miso.

Braised beef blade roast (mire poix, red wine, tomato and celery and carrot juices, thyme and bay bundle) slices atop mashed Yukon Gold potatoes with reduced sauce around and a spoonful of red cabbage slaw.

Cheese course of 12 year cheddar, reasonable Stilton, raw milk camembert, Rouy, Epoisses, toast points.

(I took some of the leftover mashers and made a fish pie with haddock and peas for lunch. I likes me fish pie.)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Continuing Susan's curry theme, I made an almond based curry with some chicken. I started out with the intention of making Butter Chicken, but somewhere along the way I decided to add chopped blanched almonds and some cream. (The granules on the chicken are almond pieces)

gallery_21049_162_1105409775.jpg

Dinner tonight was homemade fettuccini for the first time ever with our new pasta attachment for the KitchenAid! We made an alfredo sauce with a black truffle cheese and parm, along with butter that had roasted garlic in it.

Served with a salad of greens, red scallions, carrots, radish, onion confit, EVOO and balsamic. Excellent!!

gallery_16100_1_1105419064.jpg

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Wow, the Thai foods are looking amazing, Susan.

Last night I made pizza with a sun-dried tomato and onion "sauce" over a garlic and EVOO base with prosciutto, mozz, fontina, and basil. It's the first time I've actually made a pizza that I liked -- I've almost always screwed up the dough.

Tonight I threw together a quick rigatoni all'amatriciana while waiting for my tomatoes to finishing roasting (later tonight I'll throw them in a jar with the yogurt-cheese that has been in the making in my fridge for the last three days). It turned out to be a good use of the extra tomatoes and prosciutto... had it with a glass of O'Reilly's pinot noir as well as a glass of Mason Sauvignon Blanc, which was used in the sauce.

gallery_21148_443_1105423816.jpg