• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Looks great, everyone! Abra, that mole is inspiring me to learn to make it next year. (welcome to the dinner thread)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Beautiful, Wendy. And you're going to have a great time. I love Stockholm and St. Petersburg, they're two incredibly beautiful and under-visited cities. Uh, you know it's going to be really cold and dark, right? Try to get back into the canals in Peterburg - it's like the Venice of the North.

You can see a whole page of pink banana squash here. It's a nice dry, fluffy, sweet squash. If I keep posting on this thread you all will be amazed by how much squash I eat. I love the stuff.

Grub, that's neat how you do your pictorials, and that dish looks delicious! You can get your rolls to hold together better, if you have the time, by wrapping them really tightly in plastic wrap and chilling them for half an hour to an hour. When you remove the plastic they'll stay tight as you brown them.

Well, I've finally gone and made latkes - and with schmaltz, no less! They were very good...I had them with sour cream and homemade applesauce (Granny Smith's, lemon juice, sugar, and a touch of water). Delicious!

gallery_26775_1623_124431.jpg

gallery_26775_1623_25038.jpg

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Chufi, thank you, and hey, good luck with it -- it's a bit of work, but well worth it I think...

Abra, heh yeah I started out hoping the pictorial would be a smooth and perfect explanation of exactly how to make the dish just so, but when things don't go so smooth, I figure that it's more informative and constructive to honestly document it. I mean, you learn from your mistakes, etc... All in good fun. Oh and your suggestion about wrapping the rolls and chilling them sounds like EXCELLENT advice. I'll definitely do that next time around. I really appreciate that hint -- thanks a bunch!

Well, I've finally gone and made latkes - and with schmaltz, no less!  They were very good...I had them with sour cream and homemade applesauce (Granny Smith's, lemon juice, sugar, and a touch of water).  Delicious!

gallery_26775_1623_124431.jpg

gallery_26775_1623_25038.jpg

Gorgeous Mehan! They look absolutely perfect.

Thanks, Monavano and Daniel! They really were good...and, I have to say, the homemade applesauce had a really pretty green-ish color to it, and it tasted so good...definitely something I'll do again.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Shalmanase - that thick lamb curry looks soo yummy. Would you mind sharing your recipe here?

We made a unique sauce today - the fenugreek seeds curried sauce. Pictures and recipes posted at our blog. Cheers!

VK Narayanan

Chef de cuisine

My Dhaba

wow - alinka thanks for that recipe. i think even i could do those chocolate truffle cookies..

last night was soup and sandwich night - a chickpea and kale soup with turkey and provolone panini...simple but hearty for a cold night at home

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Shalmanase - that thick lamb curry looks soo yummy.  Would you mind sharing your recipe here?

We made a unique sauce today - the fenugreek seeds curried sauce.  Pictures and recipes posted at our blog.  Cheers!

Shalmanase - here's a second vote for the recipe, please!

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Shalmanase - that thick lamb curry looks soo yummy.  Would you mind sharing your recipe here?

We made a unique sauce today - the fenugreek seeds curried sauce.  Pictures and recipes posted at our blog.  Cheers!

Shalmanase - here's a second vote for the recipe, please!

Ha! Like you would be so lucky. There was no recipe, it was more of a cleaning out of the fridge in preparation for some serious cooking later in the week. It's an amalgam of a lot of techniques I've seen discussed on this board and others and it consists of 4 basic parts:

Curry Powder

Onion Puree

Coconut Milk

Meat/Veggies

Lets see what I can remember:

I made a curry powder by toasting some cumin, coriander, cardamom black pepper & chilli flakes, then added some tumeric and salt and then blended it into a fine powder. Sifted it through a strainer and removed all the big chunky bits. I got about 10tbsp of curry powder, 4 of which I used for this and the rest I put in a jar for later.

Cubed up some leg of lamb and salted it. Chopped up 3 onions and then put them in a blender with some water and blended to a puree. Then minced 5 cloves of garlic.

To cook, I seared the chunks of lamb and removed. Added some oil and briefly cooked the spices again, then added the onion puree. Cooked it until all the water evaporated and it had started browning a bit, then added the garlic and cooked until I could smell the garlic. Tossed everything together again and added a can of coconut milk and some salt and simmered for about an hour. Then added some cubed sweet potatos and simmered for another 40 minutes. Added some frozen peas, a squeeze of lemon juice and served.

Taste is by no means authentic but, IMHO was pretty good.

PS: I am a guy.

400 pages and counting!

I've been too busy to post recently, but I have been cooking. What lovely meals everyone's been making here. Some highlights from the week include:

ginger-port grilled cornish hens with mushrooms over creamy polenta

curry tiger prawns over coconut rice

warm radicchio, lentil, pear and gorgonzola salad

creamy white beans

chocolate fallen souffle cake (flourless choc. cake, aka gateau au chocolat moelleux)

homemade ny style cheesecake

and inspired by alinka's beautiful cookies: christmas cookies (the royal icing is flying!)

Great looking dinners... I am trying to get back in the groove. I'm uploading pictures from the past couple of weeks even as we speak.

Lucia, I would love to hear more about the Cornish hens and the creamy beans. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Tonight I cooked Dutch, Chufi's Butter Braised Beef. With it was served some classic accompaniments that she suggests, and one probably not so classic. ...That would be the salad. It was salad greens with tomato, onion, and beets on top, dressed with Pomegranate Balsamic Vinegar (a Christmas present) and Kalamata olive oil, and then topped with fried quail eggs.

gallery_13038_2246_5602.jpg

I've been eating out a lot lately -- holiday get-togethers and dinners and all that. When home, I've been busy, and haven't cooked quite as many full dinners as usual. Nevertheless, there have been some good ones.

As simple as this was, it was one of the highlights of the past week or two... Cobb Salad.

gallery_13038_2246_86176.jpg

Another night we made a sushi-style dinner. It was mostly sashimi and rolls. There's lots to show and tell, but I'll abbreviate it. Included was salmon, tuna, octopus, shrimp, quail eggs, and appropriate condiments & garnishes. It was fun.

gallery_13038_2246_62811.jpg

gallery_13038_2246_25684.jpg

There's lots to show and tell, but I'll abbreviate it.  Included was salmon, tuna, octopus, shrimp, quail eggs, and appropriate condiments & garnishes.  It was fun.

gallery_13038_2246_62811.jpg

gallery_13038_2246_25684.jpg

SHOW and TELL, that's us. Please continue to do so. Lovely food, 400 pages worth.

Megan, that green apple sauce is stunning. Did you cook it with the peels on?

And Susan, those quail egg sushi!

In advance of the holiday, I'm eating as lightly as possible. For example, this beautiful pile of greens, lightly glued together with a couple of eggs and a bit of 2 year old Gouda.

gallery_16307_1993_18243.jpg

Yes, I ate them all by myself. The cooked picture looked horrid, so I'll spare you that. My husband doesn't like greens, so he got

gallery_16307_1993_83063.jpg

An omelet filled with leftover gyro loaf and tzatziki, with some toasted pita.