• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

For starters we had a frisee salad with endives and roasted brussle sprouts with butter and pecans.. ]Salad dressing was with dijon. lemon. olive oil.

French onion soup- roasted onions with muscadet and butter, combined with chicken stock and toasted crustini baked with slices of gruyere.

Rack of lamb with a dijon, garlic, bread crumb, thyme crust.

A blue cheese creme fraiche potatoe gratin.

Creme Brulee.

several stellas

bottle of rojo

y

los marlboros.

Edited by Daniel (log)

last night was Bourdain's beef bourguignon  :wub:

Ling, how was it? I need to try that against the BB I made last week!

It was delicious and so simple! However, this is my first time making the dish so I have nothing to compare it to. The onions kind of melt into the sauce after all that cooking, and the beef is so tender! Definitely take Bourdain's advice and make it one night, eat it the next. The sauce really mellows out.

I ate the stew for lunch and dinner yesterday, as well as lunch and dinner today. That's how good it is. It's all gone now and I plan on making another pot this week! :biggrin:

Edited by Ling (log)

Monday night was a wonderful Szekelys Gulyas from the Goulash thread. Thanks, Redsugar!  :rolleyes: A thick goulash not a soup -- pork with sauerkraut, onions, carraway seed and chicken stock, thickened with sour cream/flour for a velvety rich stew -- and a loaf of homemade wheat bread.

Last night was Chicky breast Parm, sides of noodles with Parm bechamel sauce and seared broccoli.

gallery_12550_103_1100685035.jpg

Hmmm, this is the first time I have ever seen Chicken Parm (or anything Parm for that matter) that hasn't been drenched in Marinara (or generic red sauce) in addition to the cheese. Looks like an interesting variation.

It made a very nice combination, NulloModo. Light and cheesy/creamy at the same time. The noodles crashed the party when I realized too late that I didn't have enough angel hair pasta for all of us. (We had a guest I had not planned for -- good I had enough chicken.) :rolleyes: But they were actually a very good sub although not classic. Perhaps since I was already not going classic it worked.

Last night dinner was beef short ribs braised with stock, ale, rosemary sprigs, bay leaves, scallions and baby carrots. That was finished under broiler for a minute to caramelize a brown sugar syrup/basalmic/rosemary infusion with horseradish glaze. Served with a simple sliced baked potato/sharp cheddar gratin.

Tonight for dinner we had a garlic/oregano/thyme red sauce with beef tips, baby bellas, purple onions and kalamata olives tossed with penne pasta. Good shake of our crushed red pepper and shredded parmesan to top. Caesar salad.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Sorry about the fuzzy pictures. We are still trying to get the hang of our digital camera.

David made Marhapörkölt, which is a thicker version of gulyas. His Hungarian mother was very proud and I enjoyed the benefits of eating this wonderful meal.

A few days later, we tested a recipe for David Leite. It is the same one that Elie made, Coffee Ice Cream with Warm Chocolate Ganache. All I can say is WOW! :wub:

Unfortunately, I was unable to take pictures last night, but we went to a potluck dinner and brought Provencal Onion & Olive Tart and an Apple Gallette. There were no leftovers.

gallery_8006_298_1100946550.jpg

gallery_8006_298_1100947354.jpg

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

And I can tell you that cardamom panna cotta is excellent for breakfast.

This is delicious, I said. You should have some for breakfast.

"Blech" said fi.

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

last night was Bourdain's beef bourguignon  :wub:

Ling, how was it? I need to try that against the BB I made last week!

For those interested in Tony Bourdain, check out Dinner with Tony Bourdain for eGullet Members, where some Houston based eG members met with him (I almost flew down for that).

His "A cook's tour" TV series has ended its run on foodtv, but he will be taping a new series in Jan 2005 (I am trying to see if he is looking for travel buddies :biggrin: ).

I am Home Alone for a while, and tonight for dinner after going to a Beaujolais Nouveau tasting, feasted on Stone Crab Claws and champagne.  They were the best I've had at home.  They were as good as if not better than what I had in Miami at Joe's.

I discovered the key for me is having them icy cold, and I got the mustard sauce just right this time, too.  Yum!

Sounds yummy...making me wanna fly down to FL for some stone crab claws at Joe's

gallery_2_4_1100992545.jpg

Sauteed Sliced Chinese Pork with Long Beans and Garlic Shoots in Oyster Sauce

gallery_2_4_1100992516.jpg

Soup Noodles in Mushroom Broth with Shitake and Shanghai Bokchoy

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Friday night, we had a dinner party: giant caprese salad, chicken w/ marjoram-white-wine sauce, assorted breads; guests brought great Indian and Chinese appetizers; dessert was a mixed-nut tart with cinnamon-glazed plums.

I like my hyphenated food. :wink:

Continuing to enjoy Home Alone time, Friday night I had steak, roasted broccoli, and Merlot. I probably would have eaten more if I had not eaten lunch at work. Lunch was noteworthy good news! Unbelieveably I found a Thai restaurant in South Daytona!! And I had Larb!!!

Last night after a gorgeous afternoon watching the Delta Rocket launch, beachcombing at the ocean, and exploring in some other local parks, I wanted dinner to be in keeping with the nature of the day. I went to a small fish market that I like when I'm buying only fish and no other seafood and asked what fish was most most recently swimming. It was the grouper, and then I went to the produce market and bought what vegetables looked best, along with salad makings.

gallery_13038_284_1101041590.jpg

I made this up as I went along. The grouper was pan roasted, with garlic, ginger, mustard seeds, fresh thyme, and S&P rubbed in; served over a vegetable medley/salsa; garnished with plantain chips; and since there was a goodly amount of corn in the dish, Chardonnay to drink. The crust of the fish didn't adhere as well as I hoped, but it was so tasty.

Russ gets home tonight, after his trip to Delmarva which was primarily to buy a bushel of oysters and other food and drink delights which we miss from up there. So, with any luck at all, oysters will be making their way to this thread in the coming days.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Last night's dinner menu evolved as we went along....

I had a late lunch at a new Vietnamese/French restaurant (bbq meatball appetizer and beef Pho), while my wife was shopping - each indulging in our own pleasures. Sorry, no pics as I did not have my camera with me.

During our normal dinner time (early evening) and we weren't that hungry, so we decided to try one of the pre-made appetizers we bought from Trader Joes, which we plan to serve to our guests on Thanksgiving.

They are pictured here right as they came out of the oven. We enjoyed them with bottle of 2000 Flora Springs Trilogy (Varietal: 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 38% Merlot, 8% Malbec, 7% Cabernet Franc).

gallery_21049_162_1101052303.jpg

About an hour or so later, I decided to make some shrimp wafers (maybe it was the Vietnamese cuisine which seemed to linger the Asian theme). This too paired well with the wine, while adding a unique texture and a tingling feeling on your tongue.

gallery_21049_162_1101052406.jpg

The appetizers were good, but given that there was nothing good on TV (or the DVR) to watch, I decided to make some dinner for a weeknight. While at a farmers market the day before, I had picked up some fresh okra, so I decided to make it 2 ways -

1) Marinate the okra (lady fingers) in turmeric, chilli powder, cumin and sauté them in some vegetable oil. This has to be eaten while it is still hot, with a squeeze of some lime or lemon. If you have a roti, naan or flat bread, that goes very well with this dish. Since I did not want to refrigerate it, this became a chef's treat :biggrin: .

gallery_21049_162_1101052458.jpg

2) Orkra with spicy Lamb - Added 1 large chopped onion to the same oil used for the fried okra above. When the onions started to brown a bit, added some diced lamb tenderloin and lamb shanks. Added the normal Indian spices (turmeric, chilli powder, cumin seeds and powder, garlic and ginger). Sautee for 5-7 min and added some crushed tomatoes (from a can, though you can use fresh tomatoes as well). Cover with water to the edge of the meat and cooked it in a pressure cooker for about an hour (1/2 hour on medium high, which will give you approx 2 steam whistles and 1/2 hour on low/simmer, which makes the lamb fork tender). Once the lamb was cooked and the steam pressure in the cooker was gone, I added the okra with some chopped cilantro. Mixed in the okra and let it cook for about 10 min in the cooker on med-low. A quick taste test indicated that the meat was tender, while the okra were still a bit firm, but had absorbed the spiced - perfect. Now this dish is better when eaten after a few days, so it went into the refrigerator as a meal I will enjoy for dinner in the next few days.

gallery_21049_162_1101052486.jpg

Cheers

Percy

P.S: Sorry for the long post

Don't be sorry, Percy! It's all beautiful and looks so tasty, and your how-to was appreciated.

There was something I forgot to say in the post about my dinner last night, and your nothing-good-on-TV comment reminded me. Since that was true and Russ wasn't home, I enjoyed music with dinner... Genius Loves Company, by Ray Charles and friends... an awesome CD.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Don't be sorry, Percy!

Ditto on that sentiment. long is good particularly when it lends inspiration to try something new.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

We had a really fun dinner party for 8 last night. It was a blind wine tasting where each person brought either a Chardonnay base, Pinot Noir base or Merlot base wine. We brown bagged the wines, I paired them with 6 courses and then we voted for the winners and revealed the wines.

No pictures as I was busy plating and serving!!

CA sparkling served at the door

Amuse of vanilla foam with potatoes

Menu

Chardonnay

Shrimp Ceviche with Fennel

and Pomegranate

Frisee Salad with Lardon and Quail Egg

Pinot Noir

Garlic Soup with Gruyere Crouton

Butternut Squash Flan with

Parmesan Sage Sauce

Merlot

Dijon Crusted Rack of Lamb with Potatoes

Joel Robuchon

Cheese Plate (Brie, P'tit Basque, New Amsterdam)

Wine Poached Pears Filled with

Mascarpone in

Caramel Sauce

McCrea Late Harvest Viognier 02’

A friend brought an Okanogan Ice Wine which we also drank! YUM!!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Last night, for about 25:

Gumbo

Biscuits

Frisee salad with duck confit and dried cherries

Display of Italian meats, olive salad and sesame seed breads

Stuffed eggs with spinach

Pecan-crusted chicken wings with remoulade sauce

Roasted pears and brie in phyllo cups

Spiced pecans

Butter cupcakes with chocolate buttercream

Candied almonds: plain, coated in chocolate and powdered sugar, coated in chocolate and cocoa powder

Beverages included Linden Vineyards 2002 riesling, Chateau St Michelle riesling, Nicholas Feuillate brut champagne, passionfruit lemonade, Guinness, Sam Adams, and God knows what else people drank.

Last night, for about 25:

Gumbo

Biscuits

Frisee salad with duck confit and dried cherries

Display of Italian meats, olive salad and sesame seed breads

Stuffed eggs with spinach

Pecan-crusted chicken wings with remoulade sauce

Roasted pears and brie in phyllo cups

Spiced pecans

Butter cupcakes with chocolate buttercream

Candied almonds: plain, coated in chocolate and powdered sugar, coated in chocolate and cocoa powder

Beverages included Linden Vineyards 2002 riesling, Chateau St Michelle riesling, Nicholas Feuillate brut champagne, passionfruit lemonade, Guinness, Sam Adams, and God knows what else people drank.

25!! wow, I had a heck of a time with service for 8!

looks like frisee is the "in" salad of the moment!

:smile:

I relied on Busboy, Mrs Busboy and Hjshorter to push everything out at the last minute.

I adore frisee salads with duck confit. Easily one of my favorite things to make and eat.

Dinner for six:

cheese straws

roasted almonds

blue-cheese stuffed prunes (served warm)

Marie Stuart Champagne Brut Rose, Reims

Trio of cold French salads:

Grated Carrot Salad w/lemon, parsley and garlic

Celery Root and Apple in creamy mustard dressing

Roasted Beet and Walnut Salad

V. Sattui Napa Valley dry Johannisberg Riesling 2003

Daube de Boeuf w/Cepes and Orange

Gruyere and Creme Fraiche Potato Gratin

Ravenswood 1996 Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon

Lindsey Shere's Gauteau aux Chocolate

served w/

Pear ice cream covered with bittersweet chocolate shavings

coffee, calvados and cognac

(Pear ice cream is also from Lindsey Shere's Chez Panisse Desserts

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Back on board:

Friday - ran late, had a couple of cold ones with the lads, picked up thin crust pizza (sausage, spinach and mushroom), quick tossed spinach salad. Valpolicella Classico (Zenato).

Saturday - Bachelor Weekend as wife and child are visiting Grandma and Granddad. Dinner out with friends - Greek Taverna (MMMMM) lovely salads and fried cheese followed by roast lamb. Cold beers and "House Red".

Sunday - home alone - steak (rib eye) panseared topped with rosemary compound butter, green beans and panfried spuds . Hogue Cabernet/Merlot.

I like this thread but the pictures are a bit disturbing.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Dinner was Pork tenderloins seasoned with adobo spice, pepper, sea salt and balsamic vinegar, pan seared until there was some nice sear marks and finished in the oven with a few green peppercorns.

Sauce of finely diced onions sautéed in butter with a little sea salt and raw sugar, just a pinch, until starting to turn golden then deglazed with balsamic vinegar, beef stock, raisins and green peppercorns until syrupy then strained. Sauce was allowed to rest on a trivet until I added the strained pan drippings from the tenderloins after they rested.

Butternut Squash mashed with salt, pepper, butter and fresh grated nutmeg.

Mashed potatoes

I know way too many starches but the squash just kept calling out to me.

Green and Yellow String beans

Sweet yeasty rolls.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren