• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Monday night was a wonderful Szekelys Gulyas from the Goulash thread. Thanks, Redsugar! :rolleyes: A thick goulash not a soup -- pork with sauerkraut, onions, carraway seed and chicken stock, thickened with sour cream/flour for a velvety rich stew -- and a loaf of homemade wheat bread.

Last night was Chicky breast Parm, sides of noodles with Parm bechamel sauce and seared broccoli.

gallery_12550_103_1100685035.jpg

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

stir fry of pork tenderloin with onion, green pepper, celery + water chestnuts, thickened with cornstarch + a dab of treacle for caramelly flavour, sprinkled with roasted cashews + served with basmati + furikake. Followed by apple + blackberry pie (blackberries picked on a friend's farm) and vanilla icecream. Pie based on a recipe of Tamasin Day Lewis's in The Art of the Tart + severely disappointing.

just realized we had Chinese, Indian, Japanese and English. can you say 'fusion'?? (more like con-fusion.)

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

My Major Cooking Effort for the week was to try Mario Batali's recipe for stuffed chicken thighs in the Thanksgiving issue of Food & Wine (I believe it's the Nov. issue, but may be Oct. Turkey on the front.). Very, very good; skin was extremely crispy, and the dish was fairly rich overall. Chicken was stuffed with fresh breadcrumbs, parmesan, provolone, parsley, basil, rosemary... at least those are the major ingredients.

I've never tried boning chicken thighs before, but it wasn't too bad. The cat kept trying to help and that became annoying. At least he's finally learned that when he wants to be obnoxious, he should climb cabinets and not me. Much less blood that way.

A couple of questions:

--How could I make this dish a little less rich? I'm thinking maybe I should leave out one of the cheeses.

--Does everyone feel like an idiot when trying to tie kitchen string around rolled up, stuffed thighs, or is there a trick to it? I think next time, I will get these from the butcher instead of buying them prepackaged, in hope of not having some that have shortages or strange appendages of skin.

I'm really enjoying this thread. Have just started reading it from the beginning, and am up to about mid-2002 now. Wow! What a treasure!

last night was korean food. marinated beef with scallions & onions, spinach, cucumber & turnip kimchee, sticky rice, a delicious salad with creamy wasabi dressing and beef dumplings. it was my friend karen is leaving town for a couple of weeks and had too much food to just throw away. we were happy beneficiaries.

i'm still full.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Tonight we had Russ's chili and Alaskan Brewing Co.'s 2003 Smoked Porter.  Yum, on both counts.

That is some good beer....love porter and especially this smoked one. Too bad the beer and Russ' chili are hard to find here :sad:

ahem...not hard to find here! :cool: sorry! couldn't resist!

Russ's chili is hard to find there. :smile::biggrin:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Tonight we had Russ's chili and Alaskan Brewing Co.'s 2003 Smoked Porter.  Yum, on both counts.

That is some good beer....love porter and especially this smoked one. Too bad the beer and Russ' chili are hard to find here :sad:

ahem...not hard to find here! :cool: sorry! couldn't resist!

Russ's chili is hard to find there. :smile::biggrin:

LOL!! Touche Susan! That it is! mmmmm, chili.....love it! :biggrin:

Spent last night with the guy I've been seeing on an on-and-off basis for the past two months. :wub:

Roasted cauliflower quasi-pasta puttanesca (for the recipe, click here), and a mini-apple pie with oatmeal/brown sugar crumb topping for dessert.

Wow, I actually cooked dinner last night. Must be the start of a trend. :blink::raz:

Soba

Monday Night - Roast chicken stuffed with green grapes and sage, risi y pisi and

green beans. ( South African Sauvignon Blanc - Robertson)

Tuesday Night - striploins rubbed with garlic, shallot, fresh rosemary, salt, pepper and olive oil. Panseared served with mashed potatoes and steamed brocolli. (Trivento Reserve Cabernet/Malbec - Argentina)

Wednesday night - braised pork butt (leftover) in cider with curried lentils and carrots and a mixed green salad. (probably an Aussie Riesling)

Thursday night - Spaghetti Bolognese with mixed green salad. (Chianti or cheap Argentinian Shiraz/Malbec blend - La Chimiza)

That's all I can say for this week.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Spent last night with the guy I've been seeing on an on-and-off basis for the past two months.  :wub:

Roasted cauliflower quasi-pasta puttanesca (for the recipe, click here), and a mini-apple pie with oatmeal/brown sugar crumb topping for dessert.

Wow, I actually cooked dinner last night.  Must be the start of a trend.  :blink:  :raz:

Soba

Perhaps you'll be cooking a lot more dinners in the near future with your new guy.... :biggrin: Cheers to you.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Spent last night with the guy I've been seeing on an on-and-off basis for the past two months.  :wub:

Wow, I actually cooked dinner last night.  Must be the start of a trend.  :blink:  :raz:

Soba

What? No boneless, skinless chicken breasts?! It's a new trend, indeed. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Spent last night with the guy I've been seeing on an on-and-off basis for the past two months.   :wub:

Wow, I actually cooked dinner last night.  Must be the start of a trend.   :blink:  :raz:

Soba

Oh, they still exist. I just don't report on those anymore.

Speaking of which, I need to pick up more Mrs. Dash this weekend. :wink:

Soba

Soba

Oh, they still exist. I just don't report on those anymore.

Speaking of which, I need to pick up more Mrs. Dash this weekend. :wink:

Soba

And what will you do when you find out the new guy only eats bone-in, skin on, chicken THIGHS! :shock: gasp :shock::wink:

Tonight I made a baked salmon stuffed with creamed leeks (one of my wifes favorites) and a salad of cherry tomatoes, avacado and olives.

Sounds delicious, Larry. Is it just your basic creamed leeks stuffed in the salmon and baked, or is there a special recipe?

LOL!! Touche Susan! That it is! mmmmm, chili.....love it!  :biggrin:

LOL!

And BTW, nice to be back to the Dinner thread after doing a blog, isn't it? :smile: And, it's good to have you back.

Soba

Let me add to the sentiments here... congrats! And with roasted cauliflower and anything puttanesca-like, you can't go wrong. I'm looking forward to the reports on your new trend.

Welcome to the Dinner thread, 2roost!

Our dinner tonight was parmesan and panko crusted boneless skinless chicken breasts (must have been a subliminal thing about Soba!), sage-butter sauce, pasta, steamed cauliflower (a little teeny tiny baby head, halved, I found at the produce market, or else it would have been roasted), wilted spinach and sorrel, and Pinot Noir.

gallery_13038_284_1100738346.jpg

pasta puttanesca

Slutty noodles, eh? :wink:

Um...yeah. I am stuck in Urbana so I am eating taqueria and thai basically. But this weekend I get to cook up a storm, these houseguests are a captive audience so I don't expect any cancellations.

Well, the days of fantastic cooking are long behind me but I rise to the occasion sometimes. :blink:

Jake, the chicken breasts are for me because I'm a gym nut. I don't think he's discovered those particular joys yet. :blink::biggrin:

=================

Tonight was relatively simple. steak purists, skip to the next post. :wink:

steak (seasoned with salt and lemon pepper before broiling), brown rice and steamed broccoli. Served the steak with a mixture of A-1 sauce and Filipino banana ketchup. Thai iced tea.

Going to bed in a few, I have to be up in six hours to get into the gym. Nite nite, folks.

Soba

Makeover night. :wink: Served the Szekelys gulyas on split baked potatoes with sour cream, sprinkle of ground red pepper/paprika. Homemade wheat bread toasted and smeared with shallot butter.

GS apples baked in individual cups with touch of bourbon, maple syrup/cinnamon/nutmeg and butter. Perfectly luscious with the pork goulash.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Monday night was a wonderful Szekelys Gulyas from the Goulash thread. Thanks, Redsugar!  :rolleyes: A thick goulash not a soup -- pork with sauerkraut, onions, carraway seed and chicken stock, thickened with sour cream/flour for a velvety rich stew -- and a loaf of homemade wheat bread.

Last night was Chicky breast Parm, sides of noodles with Parm bechamel sauce and seared broccoli.

gallery_12550_103_1100685035.jpg

Hmmm, this is the first time I have ever seen Chicken Parm (or anything Parm for that matter) that hasn't been drenched in Marinara (or generic red sauce) in addition to the cheese. Looks like an interesting variation.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Spent last night with the guy I've been seeing on an on-and-off basis for the past two months.   :wub:

Wow, I actually cooked dinner last night.  Must be the start of a trend.   :blink:  :raz:

Soba

Perhaps you'll be cooking a lot more dinners in the near future with your new guy.... :biggrin: Cheers to you.

And in case you end up cooking him breakfast, don't forget to post in the Breakfast ! forum :rolleyes:

I am Home Alone for a while, and tonight for dinner after going to a Beaujolais Nouveau tasting, feasted on Stone Crab Claws and champagne. They were the best I've had at home. They were as good as if not better than what I had in Miami at Joe's.

I discovered the key for me is having them icy cold, and I got the mustard sauce just right this time, too. Yum!

a delicious Gewurtztraminer to start. and organic ginger beer for those not drinking wine!

then chicken pie - chicken, bacon, leeks, carrots + parsley in a stock + wine sauce, topped with shortcrust pastry decorated with traditional leaves + egg yolk gloss. Buttered Savoy cabbage with caraway seeds. Green beans with garlic, parsley + olive oil. Boiled baby potatoes. Spiky Dijon mustard for those who like it with chicken pie (ie me).

Cardamom panna cotta with sliced oranges + those horrifically addictive crispy thin almond biscuits for scrunching.

we were very happy. And I can tell you that cardamom panna cotta is excellent for breakfast.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Last evening was quick, tasty and enjoyable. I boiled a pound of medium shrimp in Cachere's seasoning and served it with cocktail sauce. Also served tater tots with ketchup and a tray of fresh vegetables (carrot sticks, celery and radishes) with ranch dressing. All three of us drank ice water. Nothing exotic, and no leftovers.

spatchcocked chicken, marinated in coriander, garlic, black pepper and fish sauce & grilled

nam prik gapi (relish made of shrimp paste pounded with sugar, salt, lime, garlic and chilies.)

scallions soaked in ice water

hard boiled egg wedges

jasmine rice

grilled eggplant, brushed with coconut cream