• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Well, we will clearly be having leftovers today  :smile: . Here are some pics:

Salmon appetizer:

Short ribs:

Behemoth,

Looks really good. I like using creme fresh and horseradish with smoked salmon too.

I love short ribs, but braised some lamb shanks this afternoon for tomorrow's dinner.

Cheers

P

You know, horseradish creme(whipped or fresh) is an accompaniment to traditional braised or poached beef dishes in Alsace. Make extra.

I did make extra and yum I am glad I did. :wub:

gallery_13038_284_1100485891.jpg

Dinner indoors tonight!

Thanks, Behemoth. It was our appetizer tonight, on TV trays.

gallery_13038_284_1100485917.jpg

Russ grilled a pork tenderloin which I dry-rubbed with Montreal Steak Seasoning and ground cumin. We had that served over baby spinach and drizzled with a mixture of lime juice, orange juice, orange zest, garlic, fresh oregano, S&P, and EVOO (a sort of mojo sauce), and roasted potatoes with EVOO, S&P, garlic and cumin seeds.

With the appetizer was white "house wine," and the photo shows (check it out, Suzilightning! :biggrin: ) what wine we had with dinner.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I did make extra and yum I am glad I did.  :wub:

Thanks, Behemoth.  It was our appetizer tonight, on TV trays.

gallery_13038_284_1100485917.jpg

With the appetizer was white "house wine," and the photo shows (check it out, Suzilightning!  :biggrin: ) what wine we had with dinner.

Susan, that just made my day, I am so glad you liked it. The really funny thing though -- that wine in the second picture is precisely what I had bought last night for our dinner party! Great minds...

Today was a mini trial run for Thanksgiving dinner, which I will be cooking.

While this was cooking, I decided to make a late lunch with some sushi from some sushi grade yellow fin tuna I had bought this morning.

gallery_21049_162_1100486921.jpg

I have been enjoying sushi for years, but just recently started making it. This is my 3rd try. I love spicy tuna rolls and sashimi.

For dinner, I wanted to try out the stuffing and roasted sweet potatoes.

The stuffing was made with sautéed onions, celery, free range chicken stock, shitakes, morels, porcinis, chanterelles and melted butter. Went into the oven for about 30 min after which I wanted to add some oysters. I decided to add a few of the smoked oysters I had, canned in cottonseed oil - it actually gave it a good smoky flavor, but not too overpowering. Stuck it in the oven for 10 more min at 350 to warm the oysters up.

For the sweet potato (experiment), I cut them into rough chunks, placed them into a buttered dish, with some brown sugar (light and dark), orange juice and more butter. I have used this recipe with yams before (with marshmallows), so I wanted to try it on sweet potatoes. It turned out to be more of a cross between roasted regular potatoes and yams (and I should have expected). My wife prefers the yam with the marshmallows, so that's what we will make for thanksgiving...along with turkey, stuffing, gravy, rib roast (or prime age steaks), and pies..better start fasting now. :raz:

gallery_21049_162_1100486977.jpg

BTW, the roasted chicken was a stand-in for the turkey.

Cheers

Percy

I love the palm garnish in the wine. So much more original than the paper umbrellas.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

(You better be laughing, Susan.)

Oh I am.... talk about ROFL! Good eye, Tana!! :laugh:

And Behemoth, loved that about the same Penfolds. Ah yes, great minds...

Palm garnishes and all. :laugh:

Casual dinner for friends (vegetarian) after a beautiful hike in the Santa Cruz Mountains foothills...

Liptauer Cheese

w/good local (Acme) rye bread (omitted the anchovies from the Liptauer...)

Salted Pistachios

Gruner Veltiner from the Wachau (Stockingerhof, 2000)

Green Leaf Salad with Cucumbers and Radish/Pumpkin Seed oil vinagrette

Mushroom Goulash

over Spatzle

DeLoach 2001 Russian River Zinfandel

Italian Apple Cake

Coffee and Calvados

Notes: The mushroom goulash was excellent; I make a lot of Austro-Huganan goulashes but have never before tried a vegetarian mushroom version. I based it on an old recipe from Fine Cooking using regular button mushrooms and it was actually very good. The apple cake is a great rustic recipe that I've made before. About an inch and half or so of firm yellow cake topped with 2 lbs of thinly sliced apples macerated in lemon juice and rind.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Today was a mini trial run for Thanksgiving dinner, which I will be cooking.

Ahh...we did a similar thing - a turkey smoked with sage and bacon, roasted brussels sprouts, gravy to make your grandmother weep, and Jeff's famous mashed-potato stuffing. Speaking of which, does anyone know the provenance of this dish? I'd never heard of it, but Jeff grew up with it.

No pics - we woke up so late we didn't eat anything all day, and were starving by the time the turkey was done. Gobbled (heh) everything up.

dinner last night (for my mom :wub: )

to munch with vodka - local, perfect massive red bartlett pear with aged herb gouda, marcona almonds and carr's water crackers.

seared then roasted king salmon with tarragon hollandaise

roasted carrots, onions & fingerlings from the farmer's market "english" style (heat sheet pan in oven until hot - add oil to pan, reheat - toss veg into hot oil. makes veg super crisp. thanks to carol!)

sauteed chard from the market with a bit of old balsamic.

estate bottled shiraz from mclaren vale in australia (i'm obsessed)

a cube of comte for dessert.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

single tonight and home early since i had to work an 830-330 shift and TRY to get 3 classes of 5th graders to have fun researching native american tribes...

not really hungry butam having a small dish of Cascadian Farm Spud Puppies

damn you jason perlow and the tater tot thread!!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

oh yes - accompanied by a nv Segura Viudas Brut Reserva :wink:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

gallery_13038_284_1100567223.jpg

Tonight's dinner was for me much more fun to cook than to eat. It is the recipe for November that is on the Food and Wine Calendar stuck to our fridge, Acorn Squash and White Beans with Autum Pistou. Russ likes squash more than I, and he liked this more than I. We had rolls, butter, roasted red peppers, & anchovies and Montepulciano D'Abruzzi with it.

Still to come, which I definitely have room for, is homemade ice cream! :smile:

Edited by Susan in FL (log)

Dinner tonight, tartiflette and a green salad of boston lettuce, mache, leek, grape tomato dressed with a vanilla vinaigrette. Yummy. Off to relax with another glass of wine...... :smile:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Tonight's dinner was for me much more fun to cook than to eat. It is the recipe for November that is on the Food and Wine Calendar stuck to our fridge, Acorn Squash and White Beans with Autum Pistou. Russ likes squash more than I, and he liked this more than I. We had rolls, butter, roasted red peppers, & anchovies and Montepulciano D'Abruzzi with it.

Still to come, which I definitely have room for, is homemade ice cream! :smile:

ok- russ owes you for that one. sometimes when you are happily married you have to compromise. squash is good especially in soup but...that was it? (course i shouldn't talk since i had organic tater tots for dinner - hey had a full complement of protein and veg for breakfast/lunch...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Susan, do you have the Immer cookbook?

No, I don't... It's in the local Tar-jais store :biggrin: and I've thumbed through it there, but so far have opted not to buy it. Do you have it?

The recipe was supplied as a testing assignment from Leite's Culinaria. It was good... delicious, easy, and very inviting of wine!

We will get a signed copy on Monday as part of our dinner!

Lucky you...I met her a few years ago before her recent cookbooks and TV show (Simply Wine) on the Fine Living Network.

Do you know if she still lives in the Princeton Area? If so, I will try to attend one of her events and get my book signed.

Susan, do you have the Immer cookbook?

No, I don't... It's in the local Tar-jais store :biggrin: and I've thumbed through it there, but so far have opted not to buy it. Do you have it?

The recipe was supplied as a testing assignment from Leite's Culinaria. It was good... delicious, easy, and very inviting of wine!

We will get a signed copy on Monday as part of our dinner!

Lucky you...I met her a few years ago before her recent cookbooks and TV show (Simply Wine) on the Fine Living Network.

Do you know if she still lives in the Princeton Area? If so, I will try to attend one of her events and get my book signed.

I'm not sure if she lives there or not. She is married now and pregnant! Very very nice woman.

Btw Susan, Dayne was flipping through the cookbook and pointed to somthing saying 'mmmm' and there is a picture of that soup! I said 'oh yeah, Susan in FL made that the other day!' haha! :laugh:

Four cheese raviolini with vodka tomato sauce and a ton of Parmesan (couldn't taste the vodka :angry: )

Sautéed spinach with leeks, garlic, fresh mozzarella and Parmesan

Boyland diet cream soda (a rare treat)

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Btw Susan, Dayne was flipping through the cookbook and pointed to somthing saying 'mmmm' and there is a picture of that soup! I said 'oh yeah, Susan in FL made that the other day!' haha!

Cool! I had occasion once again to think of you two, also... I hard-boiled eggs yesterday and used your method and timing. Very good, indeed!

Tonight we had Russ's chili and Alaskan Brewing Co.'s 2003 Smoked Porter. Yum, on both counts.

Tonight we had Russ's chili and Alaskan Brewing Co.'s 2003 Smoked Porter.  Yum, on both counts.

That is some good beer....love porter and especially this smoked one. Too bad the beer and Russ' chili are hard to find here :sad:

ahem...not hard to find here! :cool: sorry! couldn't resist!

Yeah! I'm happy to be back to just posting my dinner!!

Tonight we had apps of leftover pate with baguette, mustard, cornichons and kirs.

Dinner was salad and risotto with left over black truffles. YUM!!

Chianti for the wine

gallery_16100_231_1100663961.jpg

Chicken scallopini with some kind of red-wine-red-currant sauce that used up our last 1/3 of a cup of wine. :sad: Goodbye, wine, we hardly knew ye.... "Christmas" salad: tomatoes, cukes, red peppers, balsamic vinegar.

Risotto from my great-aunt's recipe! :wub: Unbelievably good.

Baked Czech dessert called "zemlovka" involving a layer of milk-soaked roll pieces, a layer of sweetened :blink: ricotta and raisins, topped with sliced apples.

Still trying to get over the sweetened ricotta........never had that before. But quite tasty, overall.