• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Salmon with Saffron Braised Fennel and Cucumber (from Nov. Food and Wine) served with frissee salad with bacon and vinaigrette with poached eggs.

that salmon looks wonderful. Was tthe salmon mixed in at the last minute, so that it was still moist?

and.. I've said it before.. I love your plates!! I always was a "white china only"girl but I think I need blue plates!

Thanks Chufi,

The salmon was seared seperately until just done, about 3 mins ea. side. then I added it to the fennel and cucumbers. It was REALLY moist!

I really liked this recipe- it was fast and easy, about 25 mins total with only a bit of chopping prep. We got home late so it was a good night to try it.

cold Senegalese Blender Soup with toasted coconut

Do you have the recipe? Please o' Please :biggrin:

With her permission I will post exactly what Jaymes told me.

All it was was a can of cream of chicken soup, a tall can of evaporated  milk, a half-tsp of curry powder, and juice of half a lemon, whizzed around in the blender, and then chilled.  You toast some sweetened, shredded coconut to garnish.  I actually intended to bring it as something of a joke, but it turned out to be great!  I really enjoyed it as well....  Decided I want to do a little investigating online and find out what the real recipes are for Senegalaise soup.  Think it must be something wonderful, if the "quicky" shortcut version is that good.

But now I'm a little embarrassed to have it posted.  If you do, please point out that the theme of the evening was not exactly "fine gourmet dining," okay??? 

The theme of the gathering was Strange and Unusual Foods. I believe I posted that that included the deep frying and consuming of oreos, pickles, pickled peppers and peanut butter/cheese/dill pickle and chipolte mayo tea sandwiches. :shock::laugh: So no, this was not a gourmet attempt. However, we did have a few unusual and fine dishes to eat -- and I (as well as many others) considered the Senegalaise soup to be among those. I was just as surprised by the recipe as Jaymes was embarrassed by it but I swear you would never know that Campbell's touched your palate. :biggrin::laugh:

We are both now interested to find the real thing, so if anyone has a clue. . .

Suzilightening, it turns out, does indeed have a clue....

She PM'd me this link:

Cold Senegalese Soup.

She said that they served it in a restaurant where she once worked, although they served it hot. And she adds that they always did garnish it with toasted coconut.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Finally got a chance to cook a meal again. I'm out of practice with the camera. I won't subject you to blurry photos.

Anyway, just the two of us, we watched The Third Man :wub: and had:

puree of winter squash soup, with pistachio oil

brussels sprouts, sliced & sauteed with bacon and shallots

grilled prime NY strip, which was on special at my favorite butcher shop.

So weird to think I was a vegetarian 5 years ago...

None of these things were recipes, just ideas I picked up from here and there.

Oh, the wine was a Spanish one, La Legua Crianza 1999 red Cigales. Quite good.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

I made onion confit :wub: for the first time today so it was featured in tonight's dinner, topping baked potatoes. Braised beef short ribs with beer/bacon/shallots/garlic/fresh picked bayleaf and thyme sprigs, and a broccoli/scallion gratin with jack cheese and gorgonzola.

gallery_12550_103_1102139925.jpg

Suzilightening, it turns out, does indeed have a clue....

She PM'd me this link:

Cold Senegalese Soup.

She said that they served it in a restaurant where she once worked, although they served it hot. And she adds that they always did garnish it with toasted coconut.

Thanks, Jaymes for the link. :biggrin: I really liked the soup cold, and think it is going to be a summer time fav of ours when the warm weather returns -- in another three months or so. :raz::laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

We had some leftover grilled swordfish, so it was revamped into a light mellow yellow curry, served over steamed rice, and a side of stir fried zucchini. 

gallery_11814_353_1102080771.jpg 

Some Tater Tots would've been good with this, but ... all gone! :angry:

Looks really delicious Yetty, when are you inviting me for dinner? I'll bring the Tater Tots :biggrin:

hawkwatch is officially over for another year so i can do a bit more cooking.

johnnybird's first course was a few olives, a half piece of homemade rye bread with prosciutto san danele and a half piece with some key lime chutney. with a half glass of pinot noir

dinner was an african sweet potato stew with red beans, a green salad and some more of the rye bread. this is definitely a keeper, even if i forgot to add the peanut butter at the end. :hmmm:

tonight will be duck breasts with a kumquat conserve, lemon rice and whatever green veg i can find at the market that appeals to me....asparagus, broccoli, if johnnybird had his druthers it would be wax beans...again.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Here's what I had for dinner last night. :wub:

We had meatless dinners the two nights before. Two nights in a row without meat is unusual for us! Wednesday night Russ made a tofu and vegetable and pasta stir-fry, and Thursday night when we had our vegetarian friend over for dinner, I made Marcella Hazan's Savoy Cabbage Soup, eggplant parmesan, and salad for dinner.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

It's actually cold and rainy here in Phoenix today, which doesn't happen often. I took advantage of the mood and made a country pork stew, with pork stew meat, carrots, onions, roasted garlic, a little vermouth, a little rosemary, all simmered up and served over egg noodles. (Conveniently, all items that were sitting around waiting to be used.) Caramel apple brownies for dessert. I'm happily full and ready for a nap!

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Radicchio agnoletti and spinach/mandarin orange/red onion salad.

Lucia I'm not familiar with agnoletti- can you comment? Large raviolis??

Dinner tonight started with Ginger-ini's, pate, onion confit, mustard and cornichons

gallery_16100_231_1102223113.jpg

Then Dayne cooked a roast chicken with soy/port marinade, broccoli drizzled with lemon and garlic olive oil and wild rice. We opened a bottle of Lange Pinot Noir- 2001 3 Hills Cuvee- EXCELLENT!

gallery_16100_231_1102223179.jpg

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Today was my weekly trip to the farmer's market and tonight's dinner reflected that. I planned the meal around some fresh onions that I bought.

An onion and Serrano ham tart...

oniontart.gif

Served with pan-browned Brussel sprouts and braised beef shanks...

plated.gif

We drank a California Pinot Noir (Steel Creek...disappointing, don't bother) and listened to Ray Charles as we ate...

Edited by Jensen (log)

What pretty onions! I won't see those around here until sometime in late April. We were invited to dinner, but I did make lunch: a blue cheese and caramelized onion quiche. Good, good, good. Lately as soon as the kitchen starts smelling like food A comes downstairs to watch what I'm doing, so I feel weird about taking photos. I used a french tart pan with the removable bottom, it looked quite pretty. Anyway...

We drank Riesling. For some reason our dinner guests always assume that since my husband is German, we must drink a lot of Riesling. We have 3 bottles in the fridge and I'm running out of space. I mainly made the tart because it would go with the wine.

Dinner was at a German couple's house. Pork loin with some sort of cherry sauce, echt deutsch.

Oh I nearly forgot the coolest part. The guy has a major telescope and I got to see saturn's rings for the first time! Also, a beautiful cosmic gas cloud. :cool:

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Oh I nearly forgot the coolest part. The guy has a major telescope and I got to see saturn's rings for the first time! Also, a beautiful cosmic gas cloud. :cool:

Lunch and dinner food sounded good, and I'm glad you mentioned about your telescope experience. That is cool. Nice touch to a dining experience!

Last night we had boneless duck breast with a balsamic/cherry sauce with risotto (I used Parm-Reg rind broth, an eG idea but I can't remember from whom, but I thank that person!) and broccoli, and Cabernet. I haven't checked on the photos yet, and we're leaving soon to go up to St. Augustine for Sunday Brunch with a friend. That means a light dinner tonight probably.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Last night we had a light dinner...

Fresh mozzarella with tomatoes and roasted peppers on a peppercorn, parmesan baguet

P'tit Basque cheese on the same bread

Olives and stuffed grape leaves

gallery_21049_162_1102263171.jpg

little ms foodie, your dinner looks really good. Wish I would have made that !!

Cheers

Percy

Such gorgeous, vibrant colors and flavors, Percy!

We just finished a rather early dinner, prepared by my beautiful baby sister. Shrimp & spinach with steamed rice & golden fried shallots. The addition of capers in the shrimp dish added another layer of flavor.

gallery_11814_353_1102289389.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Agnolotti pasta is simply a half moon shaped ravioli; I must admit I didn't make them, but purchased them from a local fresh pasta place, the radicchio filling is fabulous.

That was the end of my Tgiving pecan pies, so sad.

And yes, that is beer + lemonade = shandy. My friends told me that in Germany it's called a radler.

Tonight it's homemade pizza with eggplant and capers and the end of a bottle of Gobelsburger 2002 Riesling (apparently I am on the same page as Behemoth's guests).

A salad of iceburg lettuce, Italian meats from a guy who makes them in Greensboro NC, smoked provolone, olive salad from NOLA, onions and peppers with quick-and-dirty Italian vinaigrette. Mmmmm.

beer + lemonade = shandy. My friends told me that in Germany it's called a radler.

Or Alsterwasser depending on the city :smile:

Can you get that stuff in the US? I really love it in the summer.

Our dinner was homely but good: Marcella's baked rigatoni with bolognese. I was planning to make papardelle but I was out of eggs and too lazy to go to the store.

Simple dinner tonight:

gallery_2_4_1102299800.jpg

Linguine alla Vongole with Ruby Swiss Chard

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

mmmm...aren't Sunday dinners the best?? Everyone's looks great!!

We decorated the house and tree all day so while we did that I made chicken stock to freeze for Christmas dinner.

Then made tagine of lamb and pears for dinner. Served with basmati rice, pita, and a salad of cucumber, red onion and tomato

gallery_16100_1_1102302904.jpg

We had an inexpensive Cotes du Rhone with this which was excellent!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Simple dinner tonight:

gallery_2_4_1102299800.jpg

Linguine alla Vongole with Ruby Swiss Chard

Jason, that looks exquisite! I love Ruby Swiss Chard. :wub:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.