• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Monday night:

binchou maguro (albacore tuna) sashimi with mizuna tossed with an oil-rice vinegar-soy-yuzukoshou (paste made from green chiles and yuzu) dressing

grilled shiitake tossed with a soy-sake-dashi-lemon dressing and sprinkled with shichimi (7 spice powder)

a sesame leaf miso paste made from miso, chile peppers and korean sesame leaves

Japanese rice with sheets of nori (laver)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Wow, 200 pages of dinner!! Is there a longer discussion thread on eGullet?

Last night:

Rib Eye steak (bone-in) medium rare

Oven roasted yellow carrots with a dash of dill, evoo, salt & pepper

Roasted garlic mashed potatoes

Gordon Biersch Marzen beer

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Wow, 200 pages of dinner!! Is there a longer discussion thread on eGullet?
Not that I've discovered... Cool, huh?!

My husband took charge of dinner. The grilled pork turned out wonderful. It was juicy and delicious. He made some great accompaniments, and I am trying to talk him into his first eG post. Please welcome him, if I can convince him to describe how he made the sauce for this pork!

i5068.jpg

i5069.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

American Flatbread frozen pizza (very good for frozen pizza, but I should have had my head on straight and just started some pizza dough at the appropriate time) and a really wonderful salad with lots of red peppers, baby spring greens, and my wonderful newly ready preserved lemons. Boy, just one finely chopped little quarter made that salad taste amazing. I am a CONVERT, and started a whole new batch this afternoon, for fear that I should ever run out (probably why I didn't think to start pizza dough).

i5070.jpg

Susan: Glad I could be inspiring, though I feel I can hardly take credit for the inherent glory of the artichoke -- the honor belongs to the veggie, not to me!

Edited by redfox (log)

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

So anyway,

Susan assured me that if I posted the sauce that went with the pork that she posted pictures of, my evening would be much more pleasant than if I didn't.

So, I sauted pieces of pear, garlic, mango, ginger, red bell pepper, and some hot red pepper in a bit of olive oil. When it started to brown, I added some vermouth and sugar and brought it back to a boil. Then I added water and let it reduce to syurp. Then I added some sliced ripe plantains, and after the mixture had cooled a bit, added some butter. It looked kinda cool, so I sliced the pork and topped it with this sauce, then served it with some green beans and boiled red potatoes, and some raw slices of the above fruit as a garnish. It went pretty well with the 2001 Fat bastard Shiraz.

Can't say for sure, but it looks like the evening will go quite well.

PS

I really like this site. I wish I could read as fast as Evelyn Wood...

So anyway,

Susan assured me that if I posted the sauce that went with the pork that she posted pictures of, my evening would be much more pleasant than if I didn't.

So, I sauted pieces of pear, garlic, mango, ginger, red bell pepper, and some hot red pepper in a bit of olive oil. When it started to brown, I added some vermouth and sugar and brought it back to a boil. Then I added water and let it reduce to syurp. Then I added some sliced ripe plantains, and after the mixture had cooled a bit, added some butter. It looked kinda cool, so I sliced the pork and topped it with this sauce, then served it with some green beans and boiled red potatoes, and some raw slices of the above fruit as a garnish. It went pretty well with the 2001 Fat bastard Shiraz.

Can't say for sure, but it looks like the evening will go quite well.

PS

I really like this site. I wish I could read as fast as Evelyn Wood...

Welcome, welcome welcome! It's always best to make life pleasant :biggrin:

BTW, the pork looks awesome

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Susan: beautiful photos, as always. Many covetous glances from me throughout the day :wub:

I had one perfect omelet made with cheese and ham. I used only two eggs, but one had a twinned yolk. The consistency was just right for me.

Of course, it was perfect only out of sheer luck. My omelet-rolling technique needs serious work - I can never seem to coax the pretty cigar shape I need. Tips from anyone more experienced than I?

Peppered mackerel salad with excellent olive oil brought back from ilBuco in NYC, lemon zest.

Seared, rare chicken livers and shallots on crostini with watercress.

i5081.jpg

"Bagatini" (I'm sure there is probably a real Italian name for this shape but I kind of just made them up) stuffed with bacon and ricotta in a tomato and chicken broth with diced Italian sausage with fennel.

Pecorino, grana, 10 year old cheddar, fruilano with assorted olives.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

OK, I didn't cook it all, but helped out my mom and my cousin and aunt made part of it too. Here's what I ate:

During the sedar:

Matzo

Charosis

Horseradish

Hard Boiled Egg

more Matzo

Appetizers:

Gefilte fish

Chopped Liver

Israeli Salad

Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls and Mandlin

Dinner:

Braised Brisket

Potato Kugel

Matzo Kugel

Matzo-mousaka Kugel

asparagus

pickles

A slice of roast turkey

Passover roll

Dessert:

Cream puff passover roll with strawberries

maccaroon cookie

There was also a chicken fricasee with meatballs that I didn't touch (brought some home for dinner tomorrow), and some fruit salad and other cookies.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something...

I was so stuffed I passed out as soon as we got home and I have leftovers for several meals in my fridge. Having chopped liver on matzo with tomato slices for lunch. Mmmm.

Of course, it was perfect only out of sheer luck. My omelet-rolling technique needs serious work - I can never seem to coax the pretty cigar shape I need. Tips from anyone more experienced than I?

eunny jang--

I find it easiest to cook the omelet about 3/4 of the way through and then finish it--unfilled--under a broiler. Then I fill it and invert it on to the plate, tipping and turning the pan to achieve the shape.

Still not perfect, but getting better. :wink:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Tuesday

Chicken and vegetable shumai

Curried tofu - tofu with red curry sauce, asparagus, chopped yellow pepper, onions, scallions, baby bellas and garlic,

Served topped with a potato latke

Tuesday dinner:

grilled ton-toro (sort of like the ootoro of pork) and oyster mushrooms eaten with lettuce leaves and kochujang

simmered kabocha squash

just barely boiled okra sliced and mixed with a raw egg yolk and some miso

Japanese rice

ice cream for dessert

tontoro pork before cooking

i5103.jpg

Edited by torakris (log)

Torakris,

Where do you get that cut of pork!!!? It looks fabulous.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

crawfish cornbread with leftover crawfish from Sunday, leftover corn-cut-off-the-cob, onion, jalapeno, cheese, butter melted on top.

hamburger steaks with mushroom gravy

green beans with bacon and onion.

Stop Family Violence

Of course, it was perfect only out of sheer luck.  My omelet-rolling technique needs serious work - I can never seem to coax the pretty cigar shape I need.  Tips from anyone more experienced than I?

Purists will likely shudder at the thought but I've had good luck using a

Heat Resistant Spatula

You could use the non-heat resistant type if you're careful enough. I make omelettes so infrequently that I haven't mastered the "real" technique. I roll the pan while cooking and allow uncooked egg to slide off the surface and under the edges, lifting them slightly with the spatula to allow this to happen. I then use it to sort of flip the edges to make the folds. Usually works reasonably well.

Ever since I started working out again, my dinners are pretty blah compared to past dinners (and that's saying a lot, especially for those of you who consider skinless boneless chicken breasts to be a crime against nature). :biggrin: (Just being facetious, here, heheh.)

I'll post them for as long as there's an audience though, lol.

I have my physical therapy appointment one or two nights a week now, in the evening from 7 to about 7:45/8 pm. Since by then I'd probably have eaten, I didn't feel like making rice from scratch so I stopped by a street cart and got a package of lamb gyro, veggies and rice for $4. Then broiled some steak and had that, mixed with some chipotle hot sauce, along with the lamb. Water and a banana for dessert.

I can still cook, mind you. I just don't do it very often now.

Soba

Ever since I started working out again, my dinners are pretty blah compared to past dinners (and that's saying a lot, especially for those of you who consider skinless boneless chicken breasts to be a crime against nature).

Soba, you're my favourite criminal, dear.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Tuesday night:

spicy slow-roasted beef ribs

arroz verde

Mango, avocado and tomato "salad" (more like a very chunky fresh salsa)

It was much better than the $50 I spent on dinner for one on Monday night at what is supposedly one of Springfield's best restaurants. On the other hand, I really should have known better than to order fish. What I ordered is definitely no competition for pcarpen's grilled skate. The best part about my meal was that both the appetizer and main course were served on plates decorated with sriracha.I used up all my squiggles to make up for the lacklustre flavours :)

Torakris,

Where do you get that cut of pork!!!? It looks fabulous.

it is available at most supermarkets in my corner of Japan (Yokohama) :biggrin:

Weds dinner:

Thai style red curry with pork, red potatoes and sugar snap peas, i also added extra lemon grass and a handful of keffir lime leaves

Jasmine rice

ice cream for dessert

Spicy pancetta and grilled corn chowder

Crusty wheat breat

Fresh fruit

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.