• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Lunch today:

i3028.jpgi3027.jpg

Magret de Canard au Cepes served with a glass of Cahors (a wine from the southwest) - in perfect harmony

My husband went out and did some food shopping while I have been down with a cold. He's been coming home with little bags ever since I took to bed. Yesterday I dragged myself into the kitchen and took a peek in the fridge and it chock full of all kinds of wonderful things. I think I'm going to milk this one for all it's worth.

Friday for 2:

Potato-leek soup (sort of a chowder-y soup)

Half a baguette

Roasted garlic/oil

A sliver of Brie and a few bites of apple

Lindeman's Framboise

Saturday for 10:

Mushrooms stuffed with tapenade

Snails with garlic butter

Spiced shrimps on tomato bread with a dab of guac.

Lobster bisque

Leg of lamb with a fennel butter "jus" (a very nice little sauce with the lamb drippings, some Cab. Sav, a little stock, and a quickie fennel butter whisked in)

Herb and garlic-crusted beef tenderloin

Brown butter risotto

Roasted winter veg strudel

Belgian endive with apple, walnut, and Maytag

Chocolate-coffee pots de creme

Some various Chard, Pinot, etc., nothing remarkable, wished for a sherry with the soup but alas! There was none.

Friday night's is how I prefer to eat. :wacko:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Saturday, we had a birthday party for 8 year old Mia with 13 kids, she asked for a white cake with kiwi. I added some raspberries for color, and because I love them! :biggrin:

i3082.jpg

For dinner I tossed together panne with red peppers, asparagus and smoked salmon.

Sunday night we had temaki sushi (hand rolls), this is what we stuffed it with

i3084.jpg

all of this cost me less than US $20! :biggrin:

dessert:

Mexican chocolate Pots de creme

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

If I could switch tonight's dinner with V-day's dinner I would. For V-day my fiance requested crab alfredo, which came out way too milky because, well, I put in too much milk. So much for trying to be healthier. It was pretty gross. :angry:

Tonight I made barbecued chicken. Pan seared the skin side of chicken breasts, coated them with barbecue sauce and stuck it in the oven, basting occasionally with more sauce. So. Good. Also made polenta but didn't have enough time for it too cool off and firm up so it was like grits. Not bad but not what I was aiming for. I'm not sure if stovetop polenta ever firms up enough anyway or if I would have to cook it entirely in the oven. I wouldn't think it would matter, but I've never made it from scratch before this.

Sunday:

white rice

pickles

pork belly parboiled, sliced, fried in sesame oil and simmered with yatsugashira (an extra-large type of taro) and very thick fresh shiitake, soy sauce/mirin seasoning.

We had a strong-flavored dinner dish to balance the "Sanuki" style udon at lunch -- udon served in it's own cooking liquid, garnished with sesame, scallions, ginger, and yuzu peel.

Saturday:

Younger son's request - vege soup with lamb and white beans, more or less Hungarian style with a very little tomato added.

Friday:

Hmmm...that was the day that I threatened to put my brother-in-law on an invalid's diet of gruel if he didn't shape up and take a bath, but I forget what we actually did have for dinner!

Oven fried, panko crusted chicken

Buttermilk mashed potatoes

Salad of mixed baby greens, hydro cucumber, and yellow pepper

Homemade ranch dressing (mayo, buttermilk, chives, dill)

Skim milk for everyone

Chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream, with a Reese's PB Cup on the side.

Edit: forgot to add the Scott made the entire meal. :wub:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Atkins Valentine's dinner:

Seared shrimp with chile-spiked mayo dip

Bibb lettuce salad topped with thin-sliced rare duck breast, lardons, pistachios, red wine vinaigrette

Cheeses, buttered nuts, olives

And later, blueberries with whipped cream sweetened a tiny tiny bit with Splenda.

hm, I've never seen wasabi in a squeeze bottle...

dinner (at 4 am btw, since I'm on an inverted schedule w/ my bum heel) was cottage cheese, topped with curried green beans (blanched green beans, then fried in ghee with the addition of a pinch of black mustard seeds, asafoetida and a bit of turmeric). I can cook now! Yay is me. Still taking it easy though. Apple cider and soy milk.

Fruit bowl for dessert.

Off to have breakfast now. (It's almost 8 pm here. heheh)

Soba

i3097.jpg

Valentine's Day and Daytona 500 weekend has always been a special romantic weekend for us. Being Floridians, it's even better, as it heralds in the spring/summer season. To celebrate, last night's main entree was boneless duck breasts with a delicious cherry sauce, wild mushroom risotto, and a bottle of 2000 Cristom Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley Reserve.

i3096.jpg

Tonight, adding steamed shrimp to the selections, we made a meal of Bagna Cauda and 1998 LAN Rioja Crianza, after an afternoon of some really fine beers and snacks.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Chinese home cooking tonight.

Sauteed Shrimp with Yellow Leeks, Chives, Mushrooms in a garlic/soy/sherry cornstarch slurry sauce. Served with rice and store-bought spring rolls and scallion pancakes.

i3100.jpg

i3101.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Monday dinner:

thinly sliced pork and Chinese cabbage cooked in a clay pot with miso, sake and garlic

maitake mushrooms and shishitou peppers stirfried with bacon

turnip pickles with dried apricots

Japanese rice forteified with Vitamin E capsules (this was a free sample)

dessert:

one leftover pots de creme shared by my husband and I

Last night was homemade Beef Chow Fun & WonTon (containing pork, shrimp and mushrooms) Soup with thin egg noodles (a little redundant with the wontons but good nonetheless) accompanied by steamed rice which went uneaten.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

i3114.jpg

Tonight I tested a recipe for Leite's Culinaria, Roasted Cornish Hens with Toasted Bread Crumb Salsa. We had grilled vegetables and Beaujolais with it. The recipe is from Weir Cooking in the City.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Panko crusted diver sea scallops w/ a jalepeno, caper, lemon tartar sauce.

(had a few scallops left over from a mediteranean shrimp and scallop linguini valenitines dish)

Creole oyster stew w/ toasted ciabatta bread.

(left over oyster from the weekend shucking)

Oven-Dried Tomato and Ricotta Raviolis with a Balsamic Brown Butter.

Roast Lobster with a Roast Corn Timbale, Fennel and Red Pepper Chutneys.

Edited to add: Got rid of the rest of my ratatouille of the other night with two personal pizzas, topped with fresh garlic, oregano, basil, mozz, and the ratatouille. Used honey a la Puck v. sugar. Great crust.

We downed what we think is a great value, Yellow Tail Shiraz at 6-something a bottle.

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Weds dinner:

tofu and shungiku (chrysanthemum leaves) tamago-toji with carrots and red onions

(tamago-toji is a dish were you simmer some protein and vegetables in a soupy like soy based sauce and then add a couple of well-stirred eggs, cover and cook until your desried doneness) last night's ingredients made it taste a bit like sukiyaki :biggrin:

miso soup with potatoes and broccoli

turnip pickles with dried apricots

Japanese rice

We're moving in 5 days, so I'm emptying the freezer of all the random stuff. Plus half of the kitchen is in boxes. Tonight's dinner was:

"Chik Nuggets" (Morningstar farms, made of soy) :blink: Not horrid with barbecue sauce. The kids really liked these.

Fresh steamed broccoli

Pumpernickel bread and butter

Milk

Almond cake with chocolate frosting.

All served on paper plates.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Spaghetti squash baked and then sauteed with garlic butter, and a rice + wheatberry salad with cherry tomatoes, red onions, "spring greens" (a mix of small but remarkably tough leaves from the whole food co-op, tamed and wilted by being tossed with the grains while they were still warm), chopped fresh mozzerella, sliced almonds, a little onion confit, and vinaigrette.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"