• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

The last of my duck confit -- breast -- sliced on top of salad of hearts of radicchio, boston, and red romaine, plus mixed sprouts, watercress, mint, and cilantro; dressed with duck fat and lemon-thyme vinegar. Accompanied by "potato chips" cooked in duck fat with thyme and pepper.

Rancho Zabaco Heritage Vines 2001 zinfandel

Just finishing off Thursday's dinner

I had a bowl of Japanese rice and 2 umeboshi and oysters 3 ways :biggrin:

raw oysters with a ponzu sauce

raw oysters with lemon juice and a cocktail sauce

oysters on the grill

I am havingteh hardest time opening these suckers up and could only get through 10 before I gave up, I will save the rest for tomorrow.

The kids had curry rice and my husband is having dinner out with a friend.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

"Bought stuff" 3 days in a row while finishing a mega-translation! That may be a record for me...

Brown rice (which my brother-in-law thinks is my way of saying Die!, but he eats it anyway)

Miso soup with asparagus and egg

Broccoli rabe (nanohana) quickly stirfried

Yakitori (chicken skewers): liver, thigh meat, thigh meat and onion, and chicken meatballs. Bought -- which means it came with a really gluey soy/sugar sauce on it.

Dessert: ponkan, a kind of citrus.

You deserved to have all those oysters yourself, Torakris, after opening them. Don't know that I have ever seen an oyster knife in Japan...

Last night was Rachel Perlow's Chicken Marsala. It turned out great and was very easy to make. The Marsala sauce was wonderful. I was taken aback at how huge the chicken breasts got once I flattened them out. Guess I don't know my own strength! :laugh:

Accompanied by some pasta tossed with a little melted butter, some shredded Greek Myzithra cheese and minced parsley, which was quite tasty.

I also had some steamed "pencil" asparagus (which was only 99 cents a pound at the grocery store!). I dressed it with lemon and a splash of evoo with some salt & pepper.

Thanks, Rachel, for the Chicken Marsala recipe!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

last night was roast chicken with garlic and rosemary, herbed rice, and roasted cauliflower. the SO was practically drooling by dinnertime, until he saw the cleanup job he was going to have to do on the kitchen. :hmmm: i discovered last night that i can cook and talk on the phone at the same time, but not cook, talk on the phone AND clean at the same time.

Edited by sassybat (log)

Wednesday was our 2nd anniversary. I spent most of the day in the kitchen, resulting in a dinner of sautéed duck breast with a black-currant duck demi-glace, pommes fondant and steamed asparagus:

i3261.jpg

Dessert was this Apricot Soufflé from Alice Medrich's Cocolat. I sort of botched the gelée on top, but otherwise it was spot-on.

i3262.jpg

Friday dinner:

My husband was out again last night so I whipped up some Springfield (generic) Mac and Cheese with tuna fish and green peas. I ahve never seen my kids so happy, the three of them were lined up in the kitchen with bowls and forks in hand from the time I set the water to boil....... :sad:

dessert:

wasanbon roll cake from my friend's pastry shop

i3274.jpg

waiting for johnnybird to get home(he said he would be home by 6pm est - it is now 633 - like i should be surprised?)

he has declared one day a week should be vegetarian so tonight is it.

he leaves for skiing sunday so i made extra so he can take stuff with him to eat:

a choice of penne with roasted butternut squash, shallots and sage or

rigatoni with red pepper, onion, capers and basil

both are finished with freshly greated pecorino romano

salad of baby greens

dessert is a compote of mango and blood orange

enjoy all!!! :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Friday dinner:

My husband was out again last night so I whipped up some Springfield (generic) Mac and Cheese with tuna fish and green peas. I ahve never seen my kids so happy, the three of them were lined up in the kitchen with bowls and forks in hand from the time I set the water to boil....... :sad:

dessert:

wasanbon roll cake from my friend's pastry shop

i3274.jpg

torakris

do you use tinned tuna or fresh you cook?

inquiring minds want to know :unsure:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Saturday, we had a birthday party for 8 year old Mia with 13 kids, she asked for a white cake with kiwi. I added some raspberries for color, and because I love them! :biggrin:

i3082.jpg

For dinner I tossed together panne with red peppers, asparagus and smoked salmon.

Sunday night we had temaki sushi (hand rolls), this is what we stuffed it with

i3084.jpg

all of this cost me less than US $20! :biggrin:

dessert:

Mexican chocolate Pots de creme

That cake is beautiful!!! Much better than the kid made chocolate cupcake I got :sad::wink:

I can't believe all that sashimi was less than $20. The uni and ikura alone would cost $20. My mouth is watering. Nothing I eat is going to be good unless it's sushi!

By the way Soba, wasabi in a tube is available at most Asian markets in the US.

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I can't believe all that sashimi was less than $20. The uni and ikura alone would cost $20. My mouth is watering. Nothing I eat is going to be good unless it's sushi!

That tray of uni only cost me $3, that was cheap by Japanese prices and I was actually surprised at just how good it was.

i3298.jpg

Meat and potatoes tonight. Sliced London Broil with Haricot Verts, Skillet Cheesy Potatoes (from a packet, what the hell) and Creamed Spinach over Baked Potato.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Buttered nuts and olives

Catfish wrapped in proscuitto and steamed broccoli, arranged on a pool of tomato beurre blanc

A pale salad from inner leaves of bibb and romaine lettuces

Saturday night:

I forget the name of the dish but it was from the Babbo cookbook, Lifeguard's something or other with squid and Israeli couscous, it was VERY good.

Sunday:

I had a 500ml bottle of Pepsi :shock:

I had a huge late lunch and I gave my kids some retort pack meatballs and frozen french fries (I cooked them first!)

Jason, that's a damn fine looking plate.

Tonight, during chores, odds-and-ends from cupboards:

Extremely chunky spaghetti sauce (made with the last bits of stock, the several lbs. of ground beef that was hiding out in the freezer, some veg, etc.) with cavatappi noodles and toasted baguette/roasted garlic.

A crappy Cotes du Rhone. :rolleyes:

A brownie for dessert.

Noise is music. All else is food.

late lunch so i wasn't that hungry

got some turkey medallions on "managers special"so i sauteed them in some olive oil. put them on some cooked spaghetti, made a sauce with basil, sage, oregano, capers and white wine. poured over the turkey and pasta. baked for 20 minutes. served with a salad. made for tomorrow's dinner(working till 9) at the same time baked beans with chutney and mustard and venison hot dogs.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Haven't posted for several days; too many distractions.

Wednesday

Tofu with Ginger and Scallion

Thursday

Turkey Lasagna with a roast pepper tomato sauce

Jo Mel's Mashed Cauliflower

Pillsbury Grand Biscuits

Marlene's Chocolate Babycakes

Thanks guys! Tasty dinner!

Friday

Sauteed Panko Encrusted Chinese Scallops, Turkey Andouille and some crumbled bacon atop Mixed Baby Greens, all drizzled with a champagne vinegar, shallot and dijon mustard dressing(very pretty plated all together)

Grilled Moroccan Charmoula Lamb Chops

Couscous avec eggplant, onion and peas topped with strips of roasted peppers

Roti Prata

Blueberry Pie

Saturday

Roast Duck with orange sauce accompanied by Peking bread a la Peking Duck

Baked Squash Fries with Cardomom, Cinnamon and butter

Yu Choy and Five Color Swiss Chard sauteed with garlic and chicken stock

Caribbean Rice

Leftover blueberry pie

Edited by dumpling (log)

Remoulade (celery root slaw) with a few salmon roe on top.

Tomato water with a poached egg and crouton.

Maki of roasted bluefish mixed with mushrooms wrapped in asteamed Napa cabbage with wasabi mayonaisse.

Tall rounds of fried polenta (with parmesan and roasted tomato concasse mixed in) on a sweetish garlicky chile sauce.

Seared sea scallops on cream spinach with a bit of taramasalata on the side.

Cheese course was just warm chevre with rosemary in a dai gai choy (mustard green cabbage) cup.

For twenty.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Wow I had some of the same Jin did, though I just threw them all together in one pot and called it dinner.... :blink:

white (cream) stew with pureed kabocha squash as the base with onions, potatoes, napa cabbage and scallops

served with a choice of Japanese rice or baquette

Quick and easy tonight:

Spicy lamb sausage with carmelized onions and garlic, chick peas, corriander, diced tomato and EVOO.

Poached pears and port later...

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Exhausted grad students sometimes make less-than-elaborate dinners, and frequently make them less than promptly. Or at least this one does. We will soon, or someday, be eating lentil soup containing both red and french lentils (among other things), with a hearty dose of onion confit to sweeten the pot.

Also, bourbon and soda.

As a pre-dinner/very late lunch, I scarfed a couple of teeny plates' worth of crackers and dip from Whole Foods at a lecture reception, so hunger is slightly staved off while we wait. But I do hope the soup will be restorative, because I could use some restoring! If I don't get a metric crapload of work done tomorrow, I will rue the day. So simple though it might be, this soup is being called upon to do some serious duty. Also, to provide leftovers in quantity.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"