• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Friday

Dungeness Crab in Ginger and Scallion sauce- used frozen crabs, fresh is better but these crabs were good.

and to supplement the crab:

Honeyed Chicken- Shredded chicken with a little honey sauce glaze, onions, ginger and garlic, all piled in the center surrounded by broccoli stir fried with garlic

Jasmine rice

Crazy Coconut Pie (out of The Everything Thai Cookbook). Quite tasty. One of the more interesting things about the recipe was how you just mixed up the batter - eggs, milk, flour, coconut - and it just naturally separates to make a crunchy top with the coconut on top, the custard in the middle and forms its own natural crust on the bottom. Definitely a simplifier when you're cooking other things which are more intricate. Very cool.

Cooking up the shells for stock...

Edited by dumpling (log)

Sausage and beans, from Marion Cunningham's Lost Recipes. I love this book. Onions and garlic, sauteed in olive oil. Add cannelini beans, white wine, red wine vinegar, a little brown sugar, and sausages. I used some Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausages; they were good but kielbasa would have been better.

Steamed broccoli.

Ice cream.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Friday night:

roasted pork tenderloin, stuffed with prosciutto, breadcrumbs, rosemary & thyme;

roasted asparagus;

celery root & apple puree.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

(I love following Seth and his adorable little chayote!)

Thanks! I need a blushing emoticon right here.

We have one, ya know: :blush: For some reason I cannot figure out, you have to click on Show All in the Clickable Smilies box, or type in (colon)blush(colon)

BTW: I finally ordered How Are You Peeling? and A Dog's Life

We have one, ya know: :blush:  For some reason I cannot figure out, you have to click on Show All in the Clickable Smilies box, or type in (colon)blush(colon)

So that's where it is! My face is red. :blush:

Saturday

a special concotion of ratatouille with chicken for my father who will not eat sausage

For everyone else:

Crab bisque with tiny shrimp :wub:

Sausage and peppers(recipe courtesy of alanz's family)

over mixed penne, farfalle and ziti(bottom of all the boxes)

Pillsbury Grand biscuits

Stouffers' creamed spinach souffle(no taste but nice fluffiness)

Very satisfying, filling dinner. No one could eat any dessert. They all said "noo"

except my father who could eat a truckful of food and keep going. Pretty good for a small Chinese guy.

Edited by dumpling (log)

Boneless skinless chicken breasts sauteed in EVOO.

Sauteed arugula with crispy shallots and balsamic vinegar.

Diced, oven roasted Yukon Gold potatoes. EVOO, S&P.

Some Saint-Veran or another pulled from the basement stash. Not bad.

All prepared by my hubby while I was Christmas shopping. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Sat. nite:

Beef & onions braised in beer;

buttered egg noodles; and

steamed broccoli.

And I forgot to mention earlier that my wife made a Payard lemon tart last night. There's still some left over for later tonight.

I have to tell about this cuz it was sooo good. Went to WalMart the other day for a bunch of the Christmas baking(for one thing, beautiful Texas pecans) and looked in the meat case to get an idea of their meat prices. There were Excel packs of beef cheeks all stacked up and marked 30% off. Got a 4 1/2# package for $3.63! Came home, cooked them up today on a flame so low you couldn't see it. Used red wine vinegar and oyster sauce and ah! they were so delicious that I'm buying more tomorrow. Nobody else knows what to do with them, so please let's don't tell. Everytime somebody popularizes cuts or organs some folks grew up on, you can't afford them anymore.

Seth, what kind of beer did you use?  I made this last weekend with Guinness and while it was really really good, the beer overpowered the beef a little.

Julia Child recommends a "lager-type" beer. I used Brooklyn IPA, which was close enough. I thought Guinness sounded interesting.

Edited by SethG (log)

leftover wild and long grain rice fortified with the water from reconsitituted porcini

that went with the diced tomato, red pepper, onions and thyme salsa over mahi-mahi steaks then topped with lardons of nyman ranch bacon that had been blanched, and baked in a 450 oven(recipe tampered with from the new legal seafoods cookbook)

red leaf salad with artichoke hearts and garlic stuffed green onions with italian salad dressing

for dessert johnnybird has so far consumed 1/2 pint chocolate cookie crunch toffuti and a chocolate truffle and is heading for the vanilla soymilk rice pudding - or cheese and crackers :wacko:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Sat. nite:

Seth, what kind of beer did you use? I made this last weekend with Guinness and while it was really really good, the beer overpowered the beef a little.

heather

guiness works better with more than just meat and onions. i use it when i make a beef stew(course we're down to 4 1/2 cases of the big cans right now) - chuck, onions, parsnips, carrots, onions, garlic, rutabaga, some green beans the last 15 - 20 minutes.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Shabbat Lunch for 4 (this is our big meal of the day)

Greens with an assortment of sauteed mushrooms (with garlic, evoo, and red wine vinegar)

Mark Bittman's Beef Stew with Prunes from this past Wed's Times.

Sweet Potato Salad (diced sweet potatoes, steamed with a dijon-white wine vinagrette and scallions)

Savory Onion Kugel

Brownies (from Alice Medrich's Bittersweet)

Choice of Banana or Concord Grape sorbet

Alfasi Val de Maule (Chile) Merlot 2001

Tea

The stew was fabulous - there's nothing left of it. I highly recommend making it for a cold, winter day. Very hearty. And the brownies were super rich and moist.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Sat. nite:

Seth, what kind of beer did you use? I made this last weekend with Guinness and while it was really really good, the beer overpowered the beef a little.

heather

guiness works better with more than just meat and onions. i use it when i make a beef stew(course we're down to 4 1/2 cases of the big cans right now) - chuck, onions, parsnips, carrots, onions, garlic, rutabaga, some green beans the last 15 - 20 minutes.

Thanks, I'll give that a try next time. I was loosely following a recipe for Carbonnade and it didn't call for anything else.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Sunday night:

BBQ'd pork ribs with my mother's BBQ sauce (a simple mix of ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, worchestire sauce, vinegar and cloves)

simple coleslaw with Chinese cabbage, red cabbage and carrots

corn

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Sunday night:

Butternut squash agnolotti in a cream sauce

Mixed greens with Dijon vinaigrette

WINE (been looking forward to this part all afternoon!) :smile:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Pot roast! I used an Epicurious recipe, "Gordon's Pot Roast," subtracting the ginger, adding some bowtie pasta. Mighty tasty.

2002 Argyle Pinot Noir (with the screw top)

leftover cranberry-orange sorbet for me, B & J chocolate ice cream for Ms. Alex

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Sunday night:

A leek tart, and a salad of radicchio and other mesclun greens (leftover from last week but still good, miraculously).

And we had pork chops too. Braised with vinegar, honey, and quince slices.

Monday dinner (quick & easy)

Homemade thin-crust pizza

Hot Italian sausage, carmelized red onions, roasted red pepper, spinach & goat cheese.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Chicken broth for my sick boy.

BBQ spareribs in the slow cooker with garlic mashed for hubby and me.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

And we had pork chops too. Braised with vinegar, honey, and quince slices.

looks like you're a quince-cooking pro now!!! (good thread) :raz:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"