• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Susan: I am SO putting onion on my next Cubana. The 12-year-old said, as we were eating, that he thought a slice of tomato would not go amiss but we were between tomatoes that evening.

Ludja: Cauliflower soup is (another) one of those things so much greater than the sum of its parts. But of course as aforementioned soup is my favorite food. I used creme fraiche rather than sweet cream in the one I made the other day, and it was good, but I think I prefer the creamification to be sweet cream and then a little sour cream dollop floated on the surface, which is how I've usually done it in the past. But the creme fraiche was burning a hole in my refrigerator and so was pressed into service.

I love that Austrian pumpkin-seed oil. Like to use it in salad with pepitas and goat cheese, a multi-culti flavoring layering trip, among other things.

Lessee, last evening, lovely pale bockwursts from the German sausage guy whose shop we used to live near. Mild delicious Dusseldorf-style mustard. Adorable little pink-skinned fingerling potatoes, steamed, tossed with butter and parsley. What the German sausage guy calls his "cooked" sauerkraut which yes is cooked, but also has bits of smoked this & that tossed in along the way. Cucumber salad with sour cream. Rye bread from the gigantic loaf which the ladies at the counter are nice enough to cut the end piece for me.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Ludja: Cauliflower soup is (another) one of those things so much greater than the sum of its parts. But of course as aforementioned soup is my favorite food. I used creme fraiche rather than sweet cream in the one I made the other day, and it was good, but I think I prefer the creamification to be sweet cream and then a little sour cream dollop floated on the surface, which is how I've usually done it in the past. But the creme fraiche was burning a hole in my refrigerator and so was pressed into service.

Do you use chicken stock for your cauliflower soup? I've seen some 'cream of cauliflower' soups that don't.

(and thanks for your opinion on creme fraiche vs. cream)

thanks...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I love that Austrian pumpkin-seed oil. Like to use it in salad with pepitas and goat cheese, a multi-culti flavoring layering trip, among other things.

Hey sounds like a great idea. I have some vegetarian friends coming over for dinner tomorrow; that sounds like it would be purrfect.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Mostly when making veg soups I do not use chicken or other meat stock. Certainly did when I was learning to cook, inserting excellent stock here and there being one of the hallmarks, or perhaps privileges, of the Cooking Novitiate, but over the years I have decided that I usually like the pure taste of the veg to be emphasized, and while excellent chicken stock in no way tastes anything but good, it is not usually what I want in, for instance in this case, cauliflower soup. USUALLY. Usually usually usually. I always allow for exceptions.

Influenced by Marcella Hazan, who when somebody said to her about Italians' adding water to dishes is adding nothing, said, "Exactly."

Priscilla

Outrageous bratwurst from the German store :wub: , with outrageous German sauerkraut, CANNED with wine ($4.00/can!!??!!) (it was a gift, as were the brats) :wub::wub: , outrageous hot German mustard, and potato pancakes (mix :unsure: ). Now why did it take me nearly 2 hours to make this? :angry: It was gone in no time.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Tonight will be-

Whole chicken grilled over pecan wood (just cut down a tree about a month ago, so I have winters worth, and yes, it will be Spatchcocked.

Onion/Pecan Risotto (caramelized onions and toasted pecans in risotto)

Brussell Sprouts and Hot Bacon Dressing

Baby Greens (outta my garden) with satsumas, walnuts, and poppyseed vinagarette

Antacid

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Mostly when making veg soups I do not use chicken or other meat stock. Certainly did when I was learning to cook, inserting excellent stock here and there being one of the hallmarks, or perhaps privileges, of the Cooking Novitiate, but over the years I have decided that I usually like the pure taste of the veg to be emphasized, and while excellent chicken stock in no way tastes anything but good, it is not usually what I want in, for instance in this case, cauliflower soup. USUALLY. Usually usually usually. I always allow for exceptions.

Influenced by Marcella Hazan, who when somebody said to her about Italians' adding water to dishes is adding nothing, said, "Exactly."

thanks; and nice quote from Marcella Hazan

I made last night's spinach soup with water; I liked it and it really did let the taste of the spinach come through. Also thought it was nice with heavier fare to follow.

I felt a little self-conscious with my guests though--wondered if they thought it was too 'thin'... :wink:

That is, in part, what sparked my question to you.

I need to go boldly ahead and experiment with clear tasting vegetable soups without a net (er, without stock).

Thanks again.

Claudia

Last night was roast chicken with lemon and garlic with a two-bean salad of chick peas and black beans, with red onion, garlic, red pepper, and and evoo-balsamic vinagrette.

Tonight I made a tomato sauce with some Pomi, tomato paste, onions, and garlic. Served with penne and chunks of mozzerella.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Dinner for vegetarian friends tonight:

Spinach soup w/garlic croutons

Buckwheat crepes stuffed w/leeks & creme fraiche

butter glazed carrots

greens salad w/pepitas, goat cheese & austrian pumpkin oil (thanks Priscilla)

spiced persimmon sorbet (got a bucketload from a friend's tree)

quince frangipane tart

Onion/Pecan Risotto (caramelized onions and toasted pecans in risotto)

yum, I want to try that. sounds like a great autumnal side dish...

Salt bagels made by me, toasted. Cream cheese, smoked salmon, sliced onion & tomato, (my amigo at the farmer's market has not-bad tomatoes this December), big old Capote capers (for the Consort to strew -- I told him strive for artlessness), the end of three different varieties of olives. Korbel brut rose, not bad although I do object to their using the word champagne on their label when everybody knows it's only CA sparkling, and QEftSG, the episode with the rock & roll guy.

Priscilla

Friday dinner:

baked chicken pieces coated with EVOO, parmesan cheese, and garlic and then drizzled with a basalmic-butter sauce

mashed potatoes

slowcooked green beans, carrots, onions and tomatoes with EVOO and lemon juice

dinner rolls (from Costco)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Friday

Homemade Guacamole on Italian bread

Asparagus in lemon butter

Baby bellas and red onion sauteed in red wine and butter

Seafood two styles - Gambas al ajillo on one side of the plate, grilled scallops with sesame and ginger on the other separated by sliced tomatoes and decorated with snips of chives

Toasted almond pilaf

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Edited by dumpling (log)

Friday:

Streets covered in snow, no motivation to go far to shop. What to do?

Default to roast chicken, of course! Made my default way, with rosemary and garlic rubbed all over, pushed under the skin and thrown inside. Half a lemon squeezed over the top and half thrown in the cavity. Don't truss, don't baste, 400 degrees, done in about one hour and ten.

And pureed rutabaga, part of my ongoing exploration of every root vegetable. Not bad, but there's that turnipy bitterness underneath that never goes away entirely. I think I prefer turnip wedges roasted-- they get all creamy inside on their own, and seem less bitter to boot.

And steamed broccoli.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Wednesday Night Dinner

I cooked for six.

First course: Duck rilettes on crostini. Snail pate on crostini. I wanted to serve onion confiture with it, but it didn't look good on the plate.

Second course: Coquilles St. Jacques.

Third course: Pasta with wild boar tomato sauce.

Fourth course: Cassoulet.

Fifth course: Cheese, two kinds. The onion confiture just didn't go.

Sixth course: Black walnut pie.

Three wines: a NV sparking Loire, an 85 Cote Rotie, and an 88 Ruissec.

A successful meal overall.

Bruce

Tonight, trying to survive the snow, I made a roast pork tenderloin (studded with garlic, rolled in Herbs de Provence) and roast dumpling squash with honey and maple sugar. Served w/ 2000 Markham Merlot Napa.

To be honest, I am only posting the photo to show off the plates we got this summer at Laure Japy (on clearance, no less). I am so thrilled to finally have room in our cabinets. :biggrin:

i1569.jpg

edit: image resized by Jason Perlow. Please do not link to images larger than 640x480!

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Gorgeous plate! :biggrin:

Saturday night, husband was out and I had a headache

the kids had mac and cheese (from a box) with green peas

and I had blue cheese on club crackers with some chocolate covered almonds (when the kids weren't looking)

dessert:

popsicles

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

And pureed rutabaga, part of my ongoing exploration of every root vegetable. Not bad, but there's that turnipy bitterness underneath that never goes away entirely. I think I prefer turnip wedges roasted-- they get all creamy inside on their own, and seem less bitter to boot.

My suggestion for good rutabaga without the bitterness is slow roasting in duck fat. Another option is braising them - I did it recently in a soy based liquid with star anise and ginger. They became imbued with flavor of the liquid and although they kept their shape, they disintegrated quickly in the mouth. They even tasted better the day after.

Friday night

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup or Bisque (depending on what you're in the mood to call it)

London Broil marinated in Soy, Sherry, Toasted Sesame Oil, and Garlic broiled

Little, marble-like potatoes (can't remember the variety) tossed with a little evoo and sea salt roasted until they were buttery inside

Cauliflower, roasted

Concord Grape sorbet

Beaujolais Neuveau to drink

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Saturday night:

Half a boned leg of lamb from the freezer, rubbed with a mustardy preparation from Mastering the Art, and cooked Boulangere-style, with sliced potatoes and onions underneath;

and leftover rutagaga puree. This definitely did not taste better the next day. I'll try one of Bloviatrix's tricks next time.

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"