• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Mayhaw Man: We had pomegranate sorbet on Saturday evening -- one of the nicest ices ever.

Pomegranates are a huge bargain this time of year. I do all kinds of stuff with them (including ruin my clothes while eating them sitting down :angry: ).

I wonder how the seeds would do in a juicer? Anybody ever tried this method for juice extraction?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Our pomegranate sorbet Saturday, I am somewhat chastened to admit, especially so in season as we are, was made with bottled juice. 100% pomegranate, bottled in Russia, bought that day in the Middle Eastern store as a hedge along with fresh poms. Time would dictate, and did, which one got used Saturday.

However, plenty else to do with the unused fresh fruit, who in the interim provide something beautiful to look upon. Haven't yet used the juicer for them, but that was the plan.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Pomegranates are a huge bargain this time of year. I do all kinds of stuff with them (including ruin my clothes while eating them sitting down :angry: ).

Emma ate half a pomegranate yesterday. Does the juice come out of clothing? She got it all over her white shirt.

Tonight's dinner:

Roast chicken with onion and rosemary shoved inside. About to go in the oven. :smile:

Mashed potatoes.

Big green salad.

More homemade vanilla cupcakes.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

[Emma ate half a pomegranate yesterday. Does the juice come out of clothing? She got it all over her white shirt.

I reccomend letting that white shirt become her pomegranate shirt, or throwing the whole shirt in juice and dying it. It is very difficult to get out, althought I am sure some Heloise or another here on egullet might have a few hints :laugh:

[Emma ate half a pomegranate yesterday.  Does the juice come out of clothing?  She got it all over her white shirt.

I reccomend letting that white shirt become her pomegranate shirt, or throwing the whole shirt in juice and dying it. It is very difficult to get out, althought I am sure some Heloise or another here on egullet might have a few hints :laugh:

Uh oh. And it was a brand new shirt too. :rolleyes:

Well, word to the wise...never sit your 4-year-old down with a pomegranate as a snack.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Thursday dinner:

kani kamameshi (this is a type of rice dish that is tradionaly cooked a a type of container called a kama - hence its name, kani refers to crab the flavoring I chose and it was made in a rice cooker, the finished dish was topped with ikura- salmon roe)

corroke (meat and potato croquettes)

satiomo (taro) simmered in soy and topped with lots of minced scallions

namasu (a "pickle" made with salt, sugar and rice vinegar) of daikon and carrot

dessert:

brownies

made to cheer up daughter #2 who had been rejected by daughter #1 and her friends.....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

irresponsible solo dinner:

two christmas martinis at local bar w/friend

delicious omelette at 10 pm stuffed with raclette cheese...

(raclette makes a wonderful cheese omelette; cheese melts well and nice strong flavor)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Shabbat dinner/First night of Chanukah

No latkes, but in honor of the holiday, I fried and sauteed in lots of olive oil ('cause it's all about the oil)

Butternut Squash soup

Veal Schnitzel

Challah kugel

Sauteed Mushrooms w/Arugala

Sorbet and fruit for dessert

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Friday dinner:

iridofu - a dish of crumbled tofu sauteed with vegetables (last night was shiitake, carrots and scallions) then simmered in a dashi-soy-sugar sauce and then thickened at the end with eggs

kabocha slices "sandwiched" around ground chicken that had been flavored with scallions, ginger juice and sake, these were then sauteed and served with karashi (Japanese mustard)

Japanese rice with 7 grains added

[Emma ate half a pomegranate yesterday.  Does the juice come out of clothing?  She got it all over her white shirt.

Uh oh. And it was a brand new shirt too. :rolleyes:

Well, word to the wise...never sit your 4-year-old down with a pomegranate as a snack.

I have one word for you: Oxyclean!

I have a question about pomegranates. Does anyone eat the seeds? I can't manage it - they're just too . . . seedy. As a result, I end up only eating pomegranates out of hand when nobody's watching because the little pile of masticated seeds that I create is really gross.

yum - pomegranates. just got some coupons for them in last week's papers.

if HIMSELF ever gets home or 630 latest(i'm HUNGRY)

venison birds(ground venison with herbs and spices baked in the oven) with a hunter's sauce spiked with red wine and the leftover jellied cranberry sauce melted into it - interesting the cranberry sauce does something to the hunter and i think will work really well with the vension. i tasted with my impecibly clean finger - had to make sure it napped a spoon :biggrin:

garlic mashed potatoes

fresh green beans and yellow squash batons with evoo and kosher salt

the last of the vanilla soymilk rice pudding

i've been baking most of the afternoon - fudgy bourbon brownies,banana nut bread, cranberry orange coffee cake for parties and gifts and just want my dinner.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thursday dinner:

I was cooking from Paula Wolfert's Eatern Mediterranean book, which I just checked out from the library (hi Paula!), and I wasn't paying close enough attention. I planned on marinating some chunks of swordfish in a lemony mixture from the book, then broiling them. And I was going to make this side dish of eggplant and sauteed peppers & tomatoes. And some rice. Everything went well, but I didn't realize until I nearly finished the business about the eggplant and the peppers that this stuff was to be pureed and chilled for three hours. This salad was basically baba ganouj with peppers, which wasn't really what I was going for. My fault entirely. So I quickly steamed some broccoli, and we had that with the fish and the rice. Not bad, but boring.

And the eggplant dish tastes good today.

Friday dinner:

Laurie Colwin's tomato pie,

pan-broiled steak with Bourguignon sauce,

and leftover broccoli.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Heather, I love the crunch of the seeds. Like a sweet-tart caviar, almost.

Tonight:

Loin Lamb Chops, marked in the cast-iron grill and finished in the oven.

Sauteed Bok Choy (a little peanut oil, a little sesame oil)

Pilaf of Pardina Lentils and Orzo -- this was GREAT: sauteed mirepoix of carrot, celery, garlic, scallion, and fresh rosemary in fat from the duck confit; added the lentils and orzo, salt, pepper, and plain water. Folded in some chopped parsley and scallion green just before serving. Cooked too long so the orzo got very mushy, but HWOE said it was like risotto.

Salad of red leaf, radicchio, red and green bell pepper, cucumber, and herbed feta, with a vinaigrette of olive oil, white wine vinegar, S & white pepper, and "artichoke cream."

Wagner Pinot Noir.

Friday Night-Going away dinner for MIL (who has actually been wonderful and a great help, as she always is) who is outta here tommorrow with the whole wretched family, leaving me to my own devices until Christmas Eve.

Oyster Stew

Green Salad with pecans and satsumas

Grilled Catfish

Steamed Aparagus w/lemon butter

Onion and Garlic Risotto

For Dessert an angel walked in during dinner and brought:

White Chocolate Bread Pudding and White Chocolate Granache :rolleyes:

There was an entire, still warm bread pudding and enough of the sauce to float the Titanic. MMMMMMMMMMMM I love my friend Michelle. She is swell, by belle Michelle. :wink:

erm..budget Osso Bucco

i used half Veal Shanks with bone (SOOO EXPENSIVE) and half BeefShanks (much cheaper).

Instead of white wine i used non-alcohol beer(very cheap).

i used stock from concentrate too (does anyone actually make beef stock from scratch?)

used Tomato Paste instead of Canned plum tomatoes.

But in the end, it was DELICIOUS.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Banh Xeo( "Happy Pancakes")-egg, rice flour, little milk filled with straw mushrooms, bean sprouts, parsley, crab, turmeric and ground coriander

Grilled cauliflower drizzled with EVOO, salt and pepper

Roasted garlic and chili jasmine rice

Edited by dumpling (log)

Friday night, Christmas carolers afoot, some of those widowed by same at our table enjoying steak sandwiches. Nice fresh baguettes from the Vietnamese French baker split open lengthwise, lime-juice mayonnaise, thinly sliced tomato, thin slices of grilled so-called London broil piled on, plenty of s & p, lid back on, cut in segments. Johnny Walker Black apparently the bottle of choice of Christmas-carol widowers.

When the carolers reached our house the 12-year-old circulated with a platter of chutney-cheese canapes and the Consort and I doled out mulled wine to interested adults. Mulled wine is not something I ever imagined preparing, never ever ever, but Penzey's had sent me as my free sample, you know how they do that, a little jar of their mulling spices some time ago, and well, not unlike nuclear weapons, sometimes having something means it's going to get used. And so the mixture was simmered into inexpensive Shiraz and gladly consumed by the earnest carolers.

Saturday night friends in for latish Greek-style shrimp with tomato and feta cheese, first time trying the Italian feta from the international choices at the Middle Eastern market -- excellent! Turmeric rice with a bay leaf, a big seedy flatbread made by me, beautiful Romaine salad with olive oil and white wine vinegar.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Spent the day out and was too tired to cook so on the way home we stopped at a supermarket and picked up some prepared nigiri sushi for my husband and I and the kids ate the rest of the beef stew from the night before.

No family tonight as they have all headed North (well, let me rephrase that as North from here, just North Louisiana :laugh: ) so I can feed myself what ever I want while I am making about a million pralines and the odd batch of brittle.

Nice, grass fed, New York Strip (black iron skillet and broiler method, finish with cabernet/butter ala Ruth's Chris)

Baked Potato

Steamed Asparagus

Broken pralines (there are plenty of them already) over vanilla ice cream

Big steaming Community Dark Roast afterwards because no one is here to tell me not too :wink:

Not quite dinner.

Brunch for 7:

Really liquid Brie with apples and crackers

Satsuma oranges

Steel cut oatmeal cooked in whey with a cinnamon stick, with dried fruit (bananas, apricots, and figs) for sprinkling

Sauteed apples (butter, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg)

Salad (escarole, arugula, gala apples, toasted pecans)

Spinach souffle

Caramelized onion and smoked salmon frittata

White bean and winter greens soup

Edited by laurel (log)

Friday night was a buffet at a BYOB-and-bring-a-dish-and-bring-a-gift-for-Chinese-auction holiday party.

Last night: Smoked salmon, bubbly, beef tenderloin steaks with a red wine reduction/ pancetta, mushroom, and onion/ butter sauce, oven-roasted potatoes with rosemary and garlic, glazed root vegetables, Zinfandel, chocolate truffles, and Pedro Ximenez.

Tonight was duck, first boiled in a broth with garlic, ginger, lemon grass (our very own homegrown), soy sauce, nuoc mam, brown sugar, etc. and then roasted and cut up, and with it noodles and cauliflower, using the boiling liquid.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

eG friend over for dinner. it was a balmy 45 degrees here today, and the bears won. he had a 199 zind humbrecht riesling and some 1994 CA pinot that tasted very burgundish.

grilled lobster and filet with herb/shallot butter

kale w/ hungarian sausage

roasted heirloom potatoes

lobsterandsteak.JPG

lobsterandsteak-002.JPG

kaleandsausage.JPG

whiteandpurplepotatoes.JPG