• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food Processor Topic

Stone

9 hours ago, tikidoc said:

My Cuisinart FP is starting to die, so I am looking for a replacement. The old one has started randomly overheating and stopping when performing tasks that should really not be too strenuous. It died yesterday when pulsing flour and butter to make Serious Eats pie dough (after about 15 pulses), so I had to toss the work bowl into the fridge to keep the butter cold. It worked when I went back to the task an hour later. This has been happening intermittently for a few months, so I’m looking for a replacement.

When I use the food processor, I often make extra food to freeze so I’d like a larger (12-16 cup) machine. Have been looking at another Cuisinart and also at the Breville Sous Chef. Thoughts?

If you have attachments for your Cuisinart you might want to select a new model that can use the same attachments.

I found myself not using my Cuisinart very often so I relegated it to the bedroom.  I can't say I have missed it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

I was in the market for a replacement bowl for my old Cuise, and ended up getting a lightly used Cuise thrown in along with it. :P

I'm being facetious, of course, but not as much as you might think. Somebody on a local buy-sell page was selling said Cuisinart after splurging on a Robocoupe, and I got the whole shooting match (plus a tolerably full set of discs) for what a replacement bowl would have cost me on eBay.

ETA: The original point I was working toward is that these things are pretty durable, so (as Jo said above) buying a machine to match your accessories, even if used or refurbished, isn't necessarily a bad move.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 11/26/2021 at 7:33 PM, chromedome said:

ETA: The original point I was working toward is that these things are pretty durable, so (as Jo said above) buying a machine to match your accessories, even if used or refurbished, isn't necessarily a bad move.

I have loved 'my sweet baby' Cuisinart little Pro Plus. Wedding gift from 1989. A monster. Discontinued early 1990's. Fast forward 25 yrs a chunk of ginger held onto the blade and washed me and the kitchen with wet ingredients all over. Before I could solve the problem, after a scream from the kitchen, DH found a new-in-the-box on E-Bay. Mine was found to be fine but the new one was on the way. 

The old one went to the beach house. I'm using the NIB now. I have two back-ups, realizing I can't ever live without. (not feeling nuts as I see others here have back-ups of favorite appliances)

E-bay has pretty much all the time 6-7 pages of parts. 

My point is, ---not necessarily recommending my cuisinart choice at all, but if you move to another brand, consider the blades and parts for others that might need them. Either thrift store donate for e-bay sellers to re-sale or offer to sell yourself. I've noticed some retired elders rely on extra income selling vintage parts. *I have a stellar kitchen fridge that has cracked freezer drawers. The replacements are so expensive. So many of those drawers are in landfills no doubt. 

This is mine. The 1989 on the left, a bit yellow, and the NIB freshie clean white DH purchased. Small footprint, monster motor. With the side shooter I can make 4-5 salads for a bbq crowd in minutes. Just keep switching out the bowls. Blade switch is easy for a celeriac/fennel sliced slaw/salad. 

I have two NIBox back ups. Always a few on E-Bay. Every few months a NIB is under 75$ free shipping. Buy-it-now.

Just a heads-up, if you see one at a yard sale or thrift store---it has value. 

Possibly the model had way too many parts. I gifted my sister just the circled motor, blade, bowl. She does not cook but I included salsa, and a few BBQ recipes.....humus, pico, dips, etc, she took it to her thrift I found out. (I asked here to bring it to my parents last visit and got 'crickets'. 

I only have one friend with the new Breville. Some issues with the bowl quality and replacements back-ordered. Some other issues I can't recall. 

I can't say enough love for a small footprint 'monster motor' early 80's Cuisinart LittlePro model. 

cuisinart-little pro plus 2 2.png

CUISINART.jpeg

• Like 2

I used to have the 14 cup one which worked like a charm until it didn't.  I now have a fancy Breville one which I seldom use.  What does get a lot of use is the Cuisinart 7 cup FP.   I recommend that one to anyone looking for a small FP.

18 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I used to have the 14 cup one which worked like a charm until it didn't.  I now have a fancy Breville one which I seldom use.  What does get a lot of use is the Cuisinart 7 cup FP.   I recommend that one to anyone looking for a small FP.

Yeah.  I have the 14 cupper Cuisinart and it's really kind of big for me the way I cook now.  I may have to replace it with that 7-cup myself.

• Like 1