• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains

Toliver

Yeah. The price for 3 is cheaper than the price for the 12, but I'm wondering if I need the 12 - I have a 12" Lodge pan and I'm not sure what I'd use the 12" de Buyer for.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

I just ordered the set of three along with the $15.00 de Buyer crêpe pan.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25203-De-Buyer-French-Steel-Crepe-Pan-9-inch.aspx#BVRRWidgetID

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

They're here!!!!

I'm VERY impressed!!!

That was a heck of a deal!!!

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

It's hefty....about 5 pounds 14 ounces.

OK, Martin - now I'm sorry I didn't buy in on the sale. Make sure you report on their use, complete with photos, please!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Sur la Table has Sous Vide supreme on clearance for 269 in the store (Arlington, VA but I assume that it is the same for all stores).  I already have one (and an immersion circulator as well) but the price is so tempting...

I would not touch the SVS with a ten foot pole.

its overly priced at  10 cents  and not what one would want for SV.

in its day   well   but that was about 4 years ago.

let it rot.

look into the Anova

just saying

I would not touch the SVS with a ten foot pole.

its overly priced at  10 cents  and not what one would want for SV.

in its day   well   but that was about 4 years ago.

let it rot.

look into the Anova

just saying

I feel compelled to come to the defence of the SVS. I have the Demi (the smaller model) and it stood me in good stead before the arrival of the Anova and the Nomiku. It is a sealed, all-in-one unit that looks the least like a scientific instrument. It does the job and when it had a minor issue the company stood behind it. It is almost silent since circulation is by convection, easy to clean, easy to store and rugged. Love, love, love my Anova but my beautiful red Demi isn't going anywhere soon. Just saying.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"""    it stood me in good stead before the arrival of the Anova and the Nomiku.  ""

i agree with you completely.

My SV Magic from Fresh Meals Solutions at about that same time served me well for several years.

it had cheap plates that rusted, ie designed to be in hot water   :blink:    :huh:

and although the design was innovative at the time, was poorly executed.  15 cent corrosive plates !

the support was good, but it was full of design flaws.  it might be better now. I can not say/

times change.   

now its Anova or better.

just saying  

that early stuff :  junk it and move on.

• 1 month later...

Soupbase.com has a 20 % off sale with a low min of 20 $  these come as an email so I cant show that.

this is good until 7/14 ie monday 14 july.  I get some of their minors soup base concentrates, esp the low salt

roasted chicken and turkey.  i keep the in the freezer and use them from the frozen tub as i need for sauces and soups:

http://www.soupbase.com/Low-Reduced-Sodium-Bases-Gels/products/6/

the code is  20-20, at the top of your shopping cart

its their 20th anniversary.

they have some interesting rubs.  these ive had in the past :

http://www.soupbase.com/Tom-Douglas-Rubs/products/44/

and

http://www.soupbase.com/Slap-Yo-Daddy-Rubs/products/42/

low salt.   when i re stock my frozen bases  ( on sale of course )  I try a few new things.

i dont of course work for them, they have a lot of nice rubs and other stuff.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Open box sale ($74) for Thermopen--I just bought one for a gift 2 wks ago for $96. I have bought open box before--they are exactly the same and new. http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_open_box_sale_july_2014.html?utm_source=Nl-2014July11&utm_medium=email&utm_term=ShopNow&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=July2014-Open-Box-cs

Watch your mailboxes. I just received a BB&B coupon I have never seen: 20% off ENTIRE purchase. These evil people must know that I am long-term unemployed and can't go crazy.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Watch your mailboxes. I just received a BB&B coupon I have never seen: 20% off ENTIRE purchase. These evil people must know that I am long-term unemployed and can't go crazy.

Thanks for the heads-up. This coupon seems to show up once or twice a year. I remember using it several years ago on a clearance set of really nice silverware that was priced *per piece*! (BB&B is good at honoring supposedly expired "one item" coupons, so I hoard them for the day I want/need to buy several items and don't have an "entire purchase" coupon.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer