• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains

Toliver

Anybody have or use the ThermoWorks probe oven thermometer? I'm not sure I can justify $69 for a thermometer, but I'm looking for a quality replacement for the crappy Taylor probe thermometer I have that went on the fritz after a few months.

Not sure if the price has come way down since I asked about this a year ago, as this is listed for just $24 on their site, but I got a Thermoworks oven probe thermometer for Christmas, and so far, so good. However, it appears to have identical internals to the Taylor I had before - same features, same buttons, even the same sound. Hopefully it holds up better.

a 10 " deBuyer Mineral ( non - B ) pan at Sur-laTable is on clearance sale for

27.96 at the store Original price @ SLT: 60 bucks cant say if on line

this pan, but 10 " :

http://www.amazon.com/De-Buyer-Mineral-Inch-Fry/dp/B002VJKJKY/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_y

its branded " Tex the Chef" or some such nonsense, but thats just cardboard and you rip that offf !

snapped one up !

sorry for the underline

i know there is a 'sale' thread but I cant find it !

:sad:

its a clearance. Buzz then up telephonically

its a "Chef Tim Love"

they had a bigger one, maybe 12 " w 'ribbs' on it. only 6 total at my store

as far as I can tell the "Non-B" is identical to the "B" pan, sans the "B"

been looking into these for a long time, as I need another pan as much as I need more holes in my head

ive waited.

the 12" may require a course of 'Roids to lift, BTW

F.D.:

this pan 'Chef Tim Love' has an embossed enamel 'start of Texas' on the handle near the hang up point. I thought that would

come off

it does not. therefore, Ive decided its a very cool feature

Ive also named this pan " Tex" my other zillion pans don't have names, as far as I can recall.

that makes it very very cool.

• Like 2

Wow

my 'Tex' pan loves my induction hob

does one call it a ' hob ' ?

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-6000-1800-Watt-Induction/dp/B000MVN1M6/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2

more Wow

its now very very very cool

Got Induction ?

work out at the Gym?

look for a 10" DeBuyer on sale

just saying

Wow !

once the temp here goes above say, 10 Ill go to the organic vitamin center and get a tube of flax oil

Ill wear a wig w dark glasses.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

So, I went to SLT today, and they only had the grill pans and "chef pans" (what a stupid name, but basically similar to a flat bottomed wok). They searched other SLTs in the DC area and none of them had a normal, 10" pan. Turns out the entire line has been on clearance since the summer.

Also, it turns out this line is carbon steel. Are the de Buyer Mineral pans steel, or iron? They say 99% pure iron, but of course, that is the main component of steel....

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Yeah eG Mafia! Big thanks to rotuts!

I did some research, the Mineral pans ARE "carbon steel" but their "carbon steel" is still 99% iron (which is allegedly purer iron than "cast iron"), so yeah you're right, these Texy Tim Loves seem identical to the non-B Mineral pans.

Maybe since mine was the last, it shall be dubbed "Pan Solo"

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 2

Stevie Ray Pan?

PANtera?

On a more serious note, I did some more digging, and these are in fact the Mineral B, according to a thread over on chowhound.

never understood the "B"

WSonoma had them and I looked at them. they have a 'B' in the center and maybe an drawing of an actual bee on the bottom

said to be coated in beeswax. the 'plain' did not have this embelishment

never understood what the B or the wax did. the 'B' staid of course the wax melted off.

marketing ? PR ? they would be foolish to have two formulations of metal .,

the "bee" was a bit cool

no way as cool as the Lone Star and the name "Tex"

what would you call the 'B' pan anyway, 'Honey' ?

:huh:

• Like 1

The B indicates the beeswax coating, which is meant to protect the pans before they reach the end user, nothing more. Did yours have such a coating?

As for name....

Mine's the same as yours.

" Tex "

there is a premium on the little 'Honey' bee that never made much sense to me ...

still think 'Chuck-wagon' is good. 'Chuck' for short "

" Honey, gonna get Chuck down and Wrassle us up some Steak "

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Yeah, we got the same, I'm just wondering whether you noticed the beeswax coating. According to the website, de Buyer isn't making the non-B ones anymore.

still think 'Chuck-wagon' is good. 'Chuck' for short "

" Honey, gonna get Chuck down and Wrassle us up some Steak "

hehehhe

So my pan arrived today. Impressions - cooking surface is much smaller than anticipated, but big enough to cover most needs, I guess. Otherwise, nice and solid. There is no apparent beeswax finish, and on my receipt it says Mineral (not Mineral B). It says nothing about potato peels, is that just for the "B" line?

• 2 months later...

Chef's Catalog currently has a set of 3 de Buyer Mineral Pans (8", 10", 12") on sale for $76.00 with free shipping.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25200-de-buyer-mineral-fry-pan.aspx

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Chef's Catalog currently has a set of 3 de Buyer Mineral Pans (8", 10", 12") on sale for $76.00 with free shipping.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25200-de-buyer-mineral-fry-pan.aspx

This is a hell of a steal. If I didn't have the 10" I'd definitely jump on it, and even so, I'm still considering it