• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains

Toliver

Not a deal that I can pass along to others but just for the humor of it. Between snail mail,email and texts I have received at least five 20% BB&B coupons in the last week. That doesn't count the other two 20% coupons and the $5 off of $15 or more coupon already in the stack. I'll have to think about whether there is something I'd want to spend my Christmas check from my FIL on.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 month later...

I just purchased some white peppercorns from amazon (having walked home from the grocery store that was sold out of decent ones).  I thought about taking the discount for subscribe and save, but really, my ingredient needs are too stochastic to make subscribe and save worthwhile.  It is highly unlikely I will need another jar of white peppercorns in the next two months.

Black pepper, on the other hand, I go through at a fairly constant rate.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have Amazon Prime and I haven't found any food item that's less than elsewhere online or locally.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Food seems 1.5 to double priced on amazon to me. For example three 28 oz bottles of sriracha are 18 bucks compared to 10 at restaurant depot.

00 type flour is another item that feels way over priced at about 3.50lb.

But it is very nice to get prime shipping on specialty items like for meat processing or baking.

Since I asked, I'll tell you what I have, not much, I was hoping to find something interesting.

I have

Lavazza Qualita Oro (at my whole foods cots double than this)

Hidden Springs Maple Vermont Maple Syrup (I don't save but I don't have to go and buy)

Haribo Gummi Candy, Happy-Cola, 5 pounds (my husband is addicted)

Maisie Jane's Smooth Almond Butter (I have the 3 pack subscription)

Ambrosia Pure Honey (which still is much cheaper to me to what I can buy around me)

and having 5 subscriptions I save 15%.

I used to get virgin coconut oil, coconut sugar, and a plethora of other grocery/household items with Subscribe and Save. But then, the prices gradually started going up. And, then they started to slip in substitutions for out of stock items, but the substitutions were not at all cost effective.    At the same time, our local grocers decided to get on the ball, and began to stock the coconut oil, etc. and their prices became a whole lot more competitive.  

It was a nice service to have for the year+ that I had it...but, it just wasn't cost effective anymore- so I discontinued my subscription.  Great selection of items, though.

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I'm probably one of Amazon's biggest fans.  I buy a LOT of items.   I like the Prime Pantry option.  You fill a big box with the items you want and the shipping is a flat $5.  Very worth it for me as I would have to drive a long way to get to the big city grocery store.  Plus, I hate shopping--except for the kind you can do in your yoga pants sitting in front of the computer :)

In my subscribe and save I only have Blue Sky sparkling water--I'm addicted to the stuff even though I have a SodaStream which I use a lot too.  Oh and cat food.  I need to add 3 more items to get the 15% off the entire thing.  I get 15% off the water and 5% off the cat food.

I'm trying to think of some items that I thought were a good deal.  Pine nuts were cheaper on Amazon.  I use a lot of those in salads.  I'll keeping thinking.  

due to the New England storm, Penzeys has dropped its free shipping from 30 $$ to 20 $$ until Thurday

MidNight.

it for all 48 states.

"""   Now through Thursday at midnight, we’ve dropped our usual $30 minimum for free shipping* to $20 (our average store sale in the area) so that our regular customers of our closed stores in the Northeast can still get their spices without paying extra. With the way our website works we have to drop the minimum for all 48 states, so New England’s opportunity is yours as well."""

BTW, living outside BOS the storm here is the Real Deal.

I could not find the "Sale" thread.

sorry

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up!!!!  :wink:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

due to the New England storm, Penzeys has dropped its free shipping from 30 $$ to 20 $$ until Thurday

MidNight.

it for all 48 states.

Perfect timing!  I was just putting together a spice order ... Super!

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I introduced myself a couple of days ago about wanting to learn more about wine. I have decided that I want to get a wine cooler so I can start collecting a number of varieties and get more familiar with the aging process. Also, my wife is starting to complain about the amount of space all my wines are starting to take up in the fridge! 

Do you guys have any recommendations on good deals for wine coolers or any experiences that you're willing to share. After reading through a number of reviews and doing some online research I'm leaning towards getting a Haier 18 Bottle Wine Cooler. This one seems to have the best reviews. The only thing I worry about that it will be too loud. This review, for example, says that there is a "slight hum" when it runs, but that it isn't overbearing. Do any of you guys have this unit and would you be able to comment on it? Is the hum loud or is it the same as most devices?

The reason that I'm asking is because I'll be storing this device in my kitchen which is connected to my living room and we like it to be quiet in the evenings when we read. 

Any help would be much appreciated!

The specs sound good, I'm just suspicious of anything that's so cheap. IMO, a better brand would last longer. Also, IMO, vibration-free is the most important consideration -not that the others listed in that article are unimportant. (vibration = noise) I will admit to being spoiled, the wine bar I used to manage hosted demonstrations by Sub Zero. After being around them for a while, the other brands seem like toys.

On the price topic, I guess you need to judge how much the storage unit will affect your pocketbook if things go bad. If you're storing 18 bottles worth $50 each and the unit fails while you're away on vacation, you're out $900 worth of wine. (plus, maybe the $300 for the unit) If you want to trust a unit for long terms storage of major bottles, valued over $200 each, the $2310 entry price for Sub Zero, storing 26 bottles, is really a better deal. You will get about 20 years of use from the Sub Zero and the bottles will be held in unquestionably ideal condition. Personally, I'd just keep using my fridge and save up for the Sub Zero; it will probably outlast 3-4 of the cheaper models and give peace of mind.

Do you have a basement?  If so, you probably don't need a dedicated wine fridge just for storage.  My basement stays in a fine temperature range for aging wines over many years... no electrical gadgetry required.

Come to think of it, where do you live?  Lisa's Arizona location could lead to destroyed wine if the device fails mid summer while she's away and has her AC turned off... Are you someplace where your wine would get cooked if there were a power failure? 

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

We had a low-end Danby wine chiller in Mexico (about $300 as I recall).  Electricity is very expensive in MX and this chiller was too expensive to run.  It was also a bit noisy in our open floor plan.  

We are back in the US now and I'd consider one for my current kitchen, but I've googled those under $400 range and have to yet to find any that are Energy Star rated (low usage).   

They do indeed look very nice....many are blue-lighted.  In MX, we'd simply plug it in when we entertained since it was a novelty there.  

Thermoelectric units can range from nearly silent to having very noticeable fan noise. Their reliability is hit or miss. However, for your purposes, I agree that that's the way to go.

I've owned, and still own, several thermoelectric units (and one coolant-based unit). I do own a Haier -- a cube-shaped 16-bottle model -- and the fan is indeed noisy. I can deal with it because the unit was very cheap (Craigslist, barely used) and it resides in the basement.

I own two 32-bottle Cuisinart units, model CWC-3200, that are extremely quiet. The reviews of that model complain about reliability (one star on Amazon!), but I've had no issues whatsoever, and one of them is going on three years old. I've owned three Vinotemp units, two of which now reside in The Great Wine Cellar in the Sky. The one that's still working is their two-door, 48-bottle model -- scratch and dent, no less -- which was the very first unit I ever bought, a good 10-11 years ago. Maybe the cooling unit wasn't made in China, as I think virtually all are nowadays.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thanks everyone for the great responses. That definitely gives me a lot of food for thought.

Society - I like your way of analyzing the risk in case the fridge goes bad. That's a good way of looking at it and I never thought about it from that perspective. May not be a bad idea to go for one that is a bit more expensive but also a bit more reliable.

CDH - yes, I do have a basement. I'm based in Illinois. My fear is that it would be too cold to properly store red wines at this point, but maybe I'm wrong...

gulfporter - thanks for sharing your story. Appreciate it! Once you do end up buying one, be sure to let me know which one.

Alex - Thanks for your insights Alex. Definitely very helpful as it seems you have owned a few yourself. I'll have to look into the unit from Cuisinarts that you mention.

Well, it is mid-winter.  Get a thermometer and put it in the basement.  If it gets below 50 down there, then you might worry it is getting too cold.  Most basements don't do that.  Wine is much more sensitive to heat than to cold.

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Well, it is mid-winter.  Get a thermometer and put it in the basement.  If it gets below 50 down there, then you might worry it is getting too cold.  Most basements don't do that.  Wine is much more sensitive to heat than to cold.

It's also sensitive to temperature fluctuations. Ideally, its environment shouldn't vary by more than about 5 degrees F.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

There's an 18-bottle "Slimline" Wine Enthusiast unit at Bed Bath & Beyond that might be worth checking out, especially if you have, or can get a hold of, one their ubiquitous 20%-off coupons. (Joining their email list is one way.) It's gotten good reviews on the BB&B web site and on Amazon.

I certainly agree with CDH in suggesting you at least look into your basement for wine storage.  Putting a thermometer down there year round would be logical and I would go one step further to check on the humidity level year round since that is also an important factor.  Having said that we have had no issues with storing our wine in the basement.  Of course where you live is very relevant.  Keep in mind Wine has been stored in cellars for centuries. Enjoy a glass for me. 

How can having a wrong humidity ruin a bottle of wine?

The cork will dry up when humidity is too low. Oxygen will attack the wine via the dry cracks in the cork, this will cause accelerated aging and potential oxidation. If storage condition is too wet, label could be damaged and molds could form on the cork.

Humidity in the range of 60-75% (ideally 70%) is recommended for proper wine storage. 

• Like 1