• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

drago

The Food Saver/Vacuum Sealer Topic, 2011 to Present

one last thing: you can do liquids with this system or FoodSaver by using the PedroG mod:

you hang the bag over the counter, and when the liquid gets to the seal you push the manual seal button. you get a little leakage above the seal, but you clean that out with a tissue getting the area dry and oil-free and then add a second seal 1/2 " up the bag, 'just in case' I routine use two seals as its easy to do, moisture or not.

Has anyone with a FoodSaver tried their new "Liquid Block" bags?

Any new advice here?

I think I'll jump on the Anova Circulator too, b.ut first I'll get a vacuum sealer. I saw the aforementioned food saver v3880

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-V3880-Automatic-Vacuum-Sealing/dp/B006EP59MY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379125884&sr=8-1&keywords=foodsaver+v3880

Costco sells it at 50$ cheaper. I don't want to spend more than that and I do not want something really bulky. I'm glad also if it does a decent job at freezing meat and fish.

Thanks

I'll advise what I usually do - check thrift stores! I picked up another perfectly good Foodsaver last week for $5 - it has the manual override seal button - looks like it's seen very little use.

I'll advise what I usually do - check thrift stores! I picked up another perfectly good Foodsaver last week for $5 - it has the manual override seal button - looks like it's seen very little use.

We've seen Foodsavers in thrift stores, but I never know how to tell whether they are worth buying or not. What do you look for when you go to buy one, please.

I sent my husband to the closest Salvation Army...nothing like that to be found. Maybe better to look on Craigslist.

Now, I never had a vacuum sealer so I appreciate if anybody can explain to me if this feature of dry/ moist food that food saver has is any useful for sealing for sous vide cooking with liquids. Otherwise, for my understanding, the only things I need to watch out are a seal only function and an external hose to regulate the vacuum. But almost all food savers have these features, right?

Not all Foodsavers seem to have the seal only function - most do though.

The external hose let's you use canisters.

Here are the 3 I have in the basement right now -

Vac 1050. It has a manual lock mechanism that you release by pushing down on the corners, it vacuums by hitting one button and overrides to seal by hitting the other. It has an external hose. It doesn't have a spot inside to hold a roll of bag material.

Vac 300. This one doesn't have a manual lock, and a little switch on the side lets you vacuum and seal or seal only. I have this one switched to seal only and I use it to seal piping bags in my chocolate room.

Vac 350. This one has locking buttons on the sides, it only vacuums and seals, doesn't have an override to seal.

I have found much newer models too - some that still have the manual wrapped around the unit and the protective film on them. The newer ones aren't necessarily better - in some cases they take up a whole lot more real estate on the counter and require you to have 4 hands to hold the bag in place while pushing down on the corners to get the pump started.

Professional II. This little baby is my upstairs Foodsaver - it has adjustable time for the sealing, a manual seal only and a vacuum override. It holds a roll of the bag material inside and has a cutter to slice off the bag.

Not all Foodsavers seem to have the seal only function - most do though.

The external hose let's you use canisters.

The external hose is also of great help in sealing liquids, see upthread.

Has anyone had any experience with vacuum sealer guns, the Waring Pro Pistol Vac in particular? It looks like a much better alternative than the food saver not to mention that the bags are reusable

Well I went ahead a purchased the Waring Pistol Vac and it works pretty well. The biggest problem I have with it is that it works by sucking air through a small outlet on the upper right hand side of the bag. Because of this, you can't vacuum pack anything with too much liquid in it..if the liquid reaches the outlet, your gun sucks it up and it will cause performance issues and possibly damage. It makes me wonder why they didn't have some mechanism to reroute excess liquid or moisture.

Time will tell how it works in the long run...I'm using this mainly for storage freezing so what I'm looking for is how well the gun's suction power lasts, how well the vacuum seal in the bags last, how well the bags protect against freezer burn and odors, and how many reuses I can get out of the bags before they stop working.

Ugh trash product. Not the vacuum gun itself (which does have a design flaw, where if liquid gets inside the plastic housing and into your unit, it royally screws with the suction), but the actual bags themselves. Brittle, very easy to puncture, starts getting air inside the bag after a couple weeks.

For those interested, I was at Walmart (in Canada) yesterday looking to replace my broken Foodsaver (it was pretty old) and ran into a new line of vacuum sealers by ziplock. They looked similar to Foodsaver with one of the models that stood upright with the bag roll sitting inside the machine (it also came with a container that you can attach with the hose). They were roughly half the price of the Foodsavers, so saying this, I went home to look this up online and couldn't find any info on those machines, not even on the ziploc site. So.. new machines, not officially released yet? Not sure.. 

Here is a link with reviews.  Sounds like it isn't holding up well.  

That's the thing, they don't look like this at all, they look very much like the FoodSavers V3432 (http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers/FSFSSL3431-035.html#src=E4FEORG&start=2)

Even comes with a hose attachment and a rectangle canister for storing/marinating.

I'll have to take some pictures and post them.

I'm on my third Food Saver in 15 years. I've found they tend to last for about 8 years before the seal function breaks down. My only reason for purchasing this new one is for the pulse vac function.

Was buying replacement lid for VP112 vacuum sealer (sadly it broke after about 4 years of light use) and found a sale on Vacmaster website.  They have a bunch of deals going on but one that worked for me was 20 dollars off 100 (codes are on their home page).  I got the lid and vacuum pouches.  Just to give you an idea, 1000 8X10 inch 3 mil pouches are 45.99 before discount.

http://myvacmaster.com/cgi/ary.wsc/vacmaster_index

Does anyone here have experience with this particular Weston Model? It's the 65-0501-W (amazon link).  For the longest time I'd been eyeing the Weston $400 model that seems to have a reputation for being rock solid and bemoaning the fact that there's not much to be found in between that price point and the junkier Food Saver models.  Could this $170 Weston be what I'm looking for?  And are there other viable sealers for $150-$200 that offer a significant upgrade in reliability over the Food Saver line?

I'm about to take delivery of 1/16th of a steer, and also my Anova is on its way (sooner or later), so I want to get a vacuum sealer. I've heard the new Foodsavers are pretty mediocre, especially with any liquid involved, but the older Italian-made ones are rock-solid. Can anyone else comment upon this? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a chamber sealer or anything over $150, really.

Ive forgotten Hassouni, have you done SV before ?

more important than the sealer is the thickness of the bags : thinner ones will not last more than a month in a freezer as they get tinny holes 

in them from ice, which on reflection must form as the vacuum is poor etc

if you indeed end up finding a place for SV on your plate and in your freezer you will move up to the Weston or the 

ARY VacMaster PRO305.  mentioned above.  after about 2 - 3 years depending on how careful you are with moisture 

that will damage the pump. you will then maybe move to the VP215

but Im sure you will get something in the middle of this rage and be happy.

I've never SVed before, though the vacuum sealing wouldn't be just for that, but also the year's worth of beef I'm acquiring. Good to know about thicker bags, though.

FYI the Vacmaster Pro305 has been discontinued. Their website says they'll be releasing a replacement model soon.

• Similar Content

• By boilsover
      Solid intermediate cook, here.  Not especially intimidated by elaborate preps.  But I'm new to SV, and would like a recommendation for a cookbook for guidance and exploration.

I was thinking of Tom Keller's Under Pressure, but I'm wondering if the preps he includes may not be the most generally useful.  What do you all like, and why?

Thanks!
    • By Chris Hennes
      On Nov. 7, 2017, Modernist Bread will finally arrive on my doorstep. Having preordered it literally the first day it was available, to say I'm excited about this book is a bit of an understatement. The team at The Cooking Lab have been gracious enough to give @Dave the Cook and me early electronic access to the book and so I've spent the last week pouring over it. I'm just going to start with a few initial comments here (it's 2600 pages long, so a full review is going to take some time, and require a bunch of baking!). Dave and I would also be happy to answer any questions you've got.

One of the main things I've noticed about this book is a change in tone from the original Modernist Cuisine. It comes across as less "everything you know is wrong" and more "eighty bazillion other bakers have contributed to this knowledge and here's our synthesis of it." I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Myhrvold and company are now the most experienced bread-bakers in the world. Not necessarily in terms of the number of identical loaves they've produced, but in the shear number of different recipes and techniques they've tried and the care with which they've analyzed the results. These volumes are a distillation of 100,000 years of human breadmaking experience, topped off with a dose of the Modernist ethos of taking what we know to the next level.

The recipes include weight, volume, and baker's percentages, and almost all of them can be made by both a home baker and someone baking in a commercial facility. The home baker might need to compromise on shape (e.g. you can't fit a full-length baguette in most home ovens) but the book provides clear instructions for both the amateur and professional. The recipes are almost entirely concentrated in volumes 4 and 5, with very few in the other volumes (in contrast to Modernist Cuisine, where there were many recipes scattered throughout). I can't wait for the physical volumes to arrive so that I can have multiple volumes open at once, the recipes cross-reference techniques taught earlier quite frequently.
    • By eG Forums Host
      Introduction

Welcome to the index for the Sous Vide: Recipes, Techniques, & Equipment topic, one of the largest and most influential topics on eG Forums. (The topic has been closed to keep the index stable and reliable; you can find another general SV discussion topic here.) This index is intended to help you navigate the thousands of posts and discussions to make this rich resource more useful and accessible.

In order to understand sous vide cooking, it's best to clear up some misconceptions and explain some basics. Sous vide cooking involves vacuum-sealing food in a plastic bag and cooking it in a water bath at precise temperatures. Though it translates literally as "under vacuum," "Sous vide" is often taken to mean "under pressure," which is a misnomer; not all SV cooking involves food cooked in conditions that exceed atmospheric pressure. (See below.) In addition, calculations for SV cooking involve not only time and temperature but also thickness. Finally, due to the anaerobic conditions inside the bag and the low temperatures used, food safety issues are paramount.

You can read the basics of SV cooking and equipment here. In the summer of 2005, Nathan Myhrvold (Society member nathanm) posted this informative, "I'm now going to answer my own initial questions" post, which addresses just about everything up to that point. For what came next, read on -- and be sure to order Nathan Myhrvold's highly anticipated Modernist Cuisine book, due in spring 2011.

As with all indexes of on-going discussions, this one has limitations. We've done our best to create a user-friendly taxonomy emphasizing the categories that have come up repeatedly. In addition, the science, technology, and recipes changed over time, and opinions varied greatly, so be sure to read updated information whenever possible.

Therefore, we strongly encourage you to keep these issues in mind when reading the topic, and particularly when considering controversial topics related to food safety, doneness, delta T cooking, and so on. Don't read a first post's definitive claim without reading down the topic, where you'll likely find discussion, if not heated debate or refutation, of that claim. Links go to the first post in a series that may be discontinuous, so be sure to scan a bit more to get the full discussion.

Recipes were chosen based solely on having a clear set of information, not on merit. Indeed, we've included several stated failures for reference. Where possible, recipes include temperature and time in the link label -- but remember that thickness is also a crucial variable in many SV preparations. (See below for more information on thickness.)

History, Philosophy & Value of SV/LTLT Cooking

Over the years, we've talked quite a bit about SV as a concept, starting with this discussion about how SV cooking got started. There have also been several people who asked, Why bother with SV in the first place? (See also this discussion.) What with all the electronics and plastic bags, we asked: Does SV food lack passion? Finally, there have been several discussions about the value of SV cooking in other eG Forums topics, such as the future of SV cooking, No More Sous Vide -- PLEASE!, is SV "real cooking," and what's the appeal of SV?

Those who embrace SV initially seek ideas about the best applications for their new equipment. Discussions have focused on what a first SV meal should be -- see also this discussion -- and on the items for which SV/LTLT cooking is best suited. There's much more along those lines here, here, and here.

Vacuums and Pressure in Sous Vide Cooking

As mentioned above, there has been great confusion about vacuums, pressure, and their role SV cooking. Here is a selection of discussion points on the subject, arranged chronologically; please note that later posts in a given discussion may refute earlier ones:

Do you need a vacuum for SV cooking, and, if so, why? What exactly is a "vacuum"? Click here, here, and ff. Are items in vacuum-sealed bags "under pressure"? Does a vacuum sealer create a vacuum inside the bag? Do you really need a vacuum, or can you use ZipLoc bags? Also see here, here, and here. If "sous vide" means "under pressure," aren't the items in the bag under pressure? There is more along these lines to be found in this discussion.  

The Charts

We've collected the most important of many charts in the SV topic here. Standing above the rest are Nathan Myhrvold's charts for cooking time versus thickness and desired core temperature. We worked with him to create these three reformatted protein tables, for beef, fish, and chicken & pork.

Nathan provides additional information on his charts here. Information on how to read these charts can be found in this post. For an explanation of "rest time" in Nathan's tables, click here.

Other Society members helped out as well. Douglas Baldwin references his heating time table for different geometric factors (slab/cylinder/sphere) here; the pdf itself can be found here. pounce created a post with all three tables as neatly formatted images. derekslager created two monospace font charts of Nathan's meat table and his fish table.

Camano Chef created a cumulative chart with information gathered from other sources including Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc. Douglas Baldwin shared this chart devoted to pasteurizing poultry. PedroG detailed heat loss and steady state energy consumption of sous vide cookers in these charts.

Finally, there is also an eG Forums topic on cooling rates that may be of interest.

Acknowledgment & Comments

This index was built by Chris Amirault, Director, eG Forums. It was reviewed by the eGullet Society volunteer team as well as many Society members. Please send questions or comments to Chris via messenger or email.

• By Paul Bacino
      Wonder if someone could get me in the ballpark..the amount of Transglutamase...to make scallop noodles..    %  I mean

ill use a food processor..to purée the scallop..  then inject into a water or broth..to cook?
    • By TomRahav
      Hi,
      I've tried to make the spherical mussels recipe from the Modernist Cuisine books and it didn't work as I expected, so I would appreciate any advice that may help here.
      The recipe calls for calcium gluconate which I couldn't get hold of, so I replaced it with calcium lactate gluconate that I had at home. I used the same ration (2.5%)
      When I tried to create the spheres in the sodium alginate bath I encountered two main problems;
      1. instead of spheres the mixture just stayed as uneven shape on the surface. The bath was 1Kg. water with 5gr. sodium alginate and I let it rest in the fridge for 24 hours before using it so I think the problem is not here. However, the mussels jus mixture (100gr. mussels jus, 0.5gr. xanthin gum and and 2.5gr. calcium lactate gluconate) had a lot of air bubbles in it. Can that be the issue?
      2. In the book the spheres seem to be completely transparent whereas my mussels jus mixture was pretty white and opaque. Is it because I replaced calcium gluconate with calcium lactate gluconate? Or maybe it's because the jus itself should be clarified before it is used?
      Thanks in advance for your support,
      Tom.