• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Vacuum Sealer Pro

ElsieD

Does anyone have one of these?  If you do, what are the pros and cons?  I'm thing of getting one as it is 32% off right now but would like to know what others think of it.  And what do they mean by "marinade friendly, no longer must Anova food nerds live in fear of sucking up extra liquid into the vacuum port of their sealer".  It's not a chamber vacuum so I would think you can't have much liquid in the bag or it will, in fact, get sucked into the vacuum port.  I'm currently using an inexpensive Foodsaver.  Looking forward to your comments.

Regarding marinades, they say they use a low level of vacuum to prevent the intake of liquids, how well it works is the question!

Big takeaway ---> It's not a chamber!

p

@ElsieD, is it the same model being discussed here? If not, a link to more model information would be helpful.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@ElsieD, is it the same model being discussed here? If not, a link to more model information would be helpful.

No, it's not the same one.  The one you linked to is for the Chamber Vacuum Sealer listed at $479.  The one I am interested in is the Vacuum Sealer Pro, list price $209 currently on for $140.  There is also a third simply called Vacuum list $109 on for $83.  I wasn't able to find any mention on eGullet of either of the cheaper ones.  I need (would like:D) something better than what I've got but a chamber vacuum sealer is beyond what i need.

image.png

• Thanks 1

Elsie, somewhere on eGullet there were many discussions about sealing something with marinade in a non-chamber vacuum sealer. I think it was @PedroG who said

- buy a roll of vacuum sealer bags, so that you can cut a really long bag. I.e. add 8" to 12" to the "normal" length.

- pull the vacuum sealer to the edge of the countertop

- hang the bag vertically off the edge of the counter.

When you engage the vacuum sealer, it will have to expend the energy to suck the moisture up the bag (against gravity). This will go much more slowly (than if the bag were laying on the counter). You will have enough time to engage the manual seal.

Voilà!

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)
  • Thanks 2