• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Amirault

Bad Condiments You Love

Maggi Seasoning. I'm not sure why I consider it so much more ghetto than normal soy sauce, but I love the stuff.

Yes!! Another Maggi-lover! I can't eat boiled or fried eggs without Maggi, it's so good. Such a cheerful-looking bottle too. :wub:

Oh I'd be the first to say Ice Magic has a place in this thread.

Some of the above products are either a lot of work to make or nearly impossible to duplicate, but Ice Magic takes about 4 minutes to make and must be cheaper to make...although I have never purchased it. 100 g or coconut oil melted plus 150 g of melted chocolate, a smidgen of salt and there you have it. I make it all the time. It's a 'kid' sort of thing, but I love it.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Is this the place where I can talk about Taco Bell hot sauce? Because the lovely folks always give us too much, and I bring it home and store the packets in my pantry. I use them on many things, including my own homemade bean burritos, various breakfast dishes, grilled cheese, arroz con pollo... No, the bottled taco sauce from the grocery store doesn't cut it, either. That was my first attempt at solving this issue. The second best taco sauce is La Victoria Salsa Brava, Hot.

Wendy's chili sauce packets....the kind that come in the little gold packets. Love it.

French dressing. It's the one holdover from my childhood that I have to get on a basic iceberg lettuce salad.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

French's Spicy Brown. I have all kinds of different fancy brown mustards in the fridge, but the French's is the only one that seems to get used for some reason (when I'm not just using the yellow).

La Victoria green taco sauce, too. Sometimes I'll get a burrito from a local taco truck, bring it home and douse it in this refined, authentic sauce. (And I like the Taco Bell hot, too. Not the fire, not the medium, but hot.)

There is no ketchup other than Heinz.

MelissaH

edited because I can't type today

Edited by MelissaH (log)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Depends on what the condiment accompanies. Some of my favs:

With a Syd's style hot dog (Best Provisions of Newark), I mixed equal parts hoagie spread (chopped hot peppers) and dill pickle relish (not sweet relish). Mustard and kraut top the dog, too.

Dirty-water dog: Sabrett's onion sauce (also good on Wisconsin brats).

Belgian style frites: mayo, tartar or aioli.

Cheap steak: A-1 or HP.

Good steak: compound butter.

Ham and cheese sandwich: Branston pickles.

Pastrami sandwich: pickled plum tomato.

Egg rolls: cheap Chinese mustard.

Hot soft pretzels: melted butter and German style mustard.

Tuna salad sandwich: jarred pimento-stuffed green olives (can also be chopped as topping for sandwich).

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Is Ice Magic the same thing as Magic Shell?

I also love Heinz 57 sauce and Catalina dressing.

and Texas Pete Chili for hotdogs (a product that oddly enough contains no meat)

Is Ice Magic the same thing as Magic Shell?

Yes

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Arby's horsey sauce and bbq sauce. I always ask for extra packets to take home, and I put BOTH on my roast beef sandwiches.

Neon green poppy seed dressing. The creamy white kind doesn't taste as good.

Gravy-from-a-can on potatoes-from-a-box when I'm drunk.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Another vote for Arby's sauce.

and the mustard they sell at the dollar store, Koops?

that stuff goes on everything. Can't imagine eating a burger,dog, or brat without it.

my vegetarian mom loves it on a cheese sandwich.

---------------------------------------

The cheese packets you get (if you ask for them when you order) from dominos pizza. If you camp, they're great on scrambled eggs and beat hauling a piece of parm around....but at home I hoard them to sprinkle on stale buttered french bread (you know, the extra loaf bought at the supermarket cause it smelled so good coming out of the oven?) halved, and browned. No need to add anything but i might put a little more garlic powder with it if we're having spagetti.

I dare you to try Hunts side-by-side, blindfolded...

Heinz Ketchup.

Gulden's Brown Mustard.

French's Yellow Mustard.

Hellmann's Extra Heavy Mayonnaise.

Soy Sauce - I'd tell you what brand if I could read Chinese (a Malaysian friend who owns a restaurant gets it for me).

There's always honey butter, chive butter, garlic butter and bleu cheese butter in the fridge.

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Heinz Ketchup.

Gulden's Brown Mustard.

French's Yellow Mustard.

Soy Sauce - I'd tell you what brand if I could read Chinese (a Malaysian friend who owns a restaurant gets it for me).

There's always honey butter, chive butter, garlic butter and bleu cheese butter in the fridge.

What is this 'extra heavy' of which you speak? :wink: I've only ever seen regular Hellman's (and all that modified stuff, low fat, lite, etc. which doesn't count.)Sounds like a good thing to me!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Heinz Ketchup.

Gulden's Brown Mustard.

French's Yellow Mustard.

What is this 'extra heavy' of which you speak? :wink: I've only ever seen regular Hellman's (and all that modified stuff, low fat, lite, etc. which doesn't count.)Sounds like a good thing to me!

Extra Heavy mayonnaise is a deli-type of mayo. I've only seen it in the gi-normous gallon or 5 quart size. A couple of years ago, I went to a grocery outlet and saw the gallons for $4.00 each, so I bought a few. We have a large family, so with all the birthday/etc. parties, it went fast. This last gallon I bought at a restaurant supply store that also sells to the public, and used wide-mouth mason jars to split it with my sister.

Here's a link to a post on Serious Eats, which describes what it is -

http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2008/11/extra-heavy-mayonnaise.html

It's denser in taste and texture than regular Hellmann's. For use on sandwiches, you can spread a little less on the bread and get the same flavor as a normal portion of regular mayo, but it's best use is for salads.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

I dare you to try Hunts side-by-side, blindfolded...

Trader Joe's Organic Ketchup got me off the Heinz' train the first time I tried it. The stuff is awesome enough to eat with a spoon. Never like Hunt's, although their canned tomatoes are fine. But TJ's Organic goes with me to the desert island.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• Similar Content

• By bague25
      Which are the pickles you have in your pantry right now?
      Which are the ones you dream of?
      Any recipes? Any secrets? Any reading material?
      Please share - as Monica says Inquiring minds want to know...
    • By newchef
      I'm trying to make a Roasted Poblano and Black Bean Enchilada recipe and I don't know if the tomatillo cream sauce will be freezer-friendly.     Basically I process the following ingredients in a food processor to make the cream sauce.  I plan on freezing the sauce in ice-cube trays for individual servings.  The sauce will then be thawed and spread on a baking dish and also used to top the enchiladas and cook in a 400 degree oven.   Thanks!   INGREDIENTS:   -26 ounces canned tomatillos, drained -1 onion -1/2 cup cilantro leaves -1/3 cup vegetable broth -1/4 cup heavy cream -1 tbsp vegetable oil -3 garlic cloves -1 tbsp lime juice -1 tsp sugar -1 tsp salt
    • By markovitch
      A while ago, to learn the ins and outs of Horseradish, I began making my own mustard. I have managed some really really good varieties, (one with black mustard seeds, rice-wine vinegar, horseradish and Kabocha squash) and some really god awful ones too. I recall that my grandmother used to make her own ketchup too. it wasn't all that good.
      has anyone made their own condiments before?
      care to share experiences?
    • By Lisa Shock
      The basic formula for these cakes was developed by the wife of a mayonnaise salesman in an effort to help him out. I did a bit of research, and have found many variations. Early variants generally involve using less cocoa, which I cannot recommend. Later variants involve using cold water instead of boiling, adding salt, and additional leaveners. I personally do not feel that any additional salt is needed, as mayonnaise and that famous, tangy brand of salad dressing (sometimes the label just says 'Dressing') both contain a fair amount of salt. If you are using homemade mayonnaise or a low sodium product, an eighth teaspoon of salt may boost the flavor a bit. And, of course, somewhere along the way fans who prefer a certain salad dressing over mayonnaise started using it to make this cake. Nowadays, the Hellman's website has a different formula -one with added eggs and baking powder. I have not tried this newer formulation.

Some versions of this recipe specify sifted cake flour. This will result in a very light cake with virtually no structural integrity, due to the paucity of eggs in this recipe compared to a regular cake. Cupcakes made this way give beautifully light results. However, every time I try to make a traditional 8" double layer cake with cake flour, I experience collapse. I recommend AP flour or at least a mix of cake and pastry flour.

I have never made this with a gluten-free flour replacer. This recipe does not have very much structural integrity and as such does not make a good candidate for a gluten-free cake.

I have made this cake many times, the type of sandwich spread you choose will affect the outcome. Made with mayonnaise, the cake has a good chocolate flavor and moistness. Made with that famous, tangy, off-white salad dressing that gets used as a sandwich spread, the cake has a subtle bit of extra brightness to the flavor. If one chooses to use a vegan mayonnaise, the result is tasty but lacking a little in structure; I would bake this in a square pan and frost and serve from the pan.

The cocoa you use will also affect the flavor.  For a classic, homey flavor use a supermarket brand of cocoa. To add a little sophistication, use better, artisan type cocoa and use chocolate extract instead of the vanilla extract.

Supposedly, the traditional frosting for this cake should have a caramel flavor. Look for one where you actually caramelize some sugar first. Modern recipes for the icing seem like weak imitations to me; using brown sugar as the main flavor instead of true caramel.

Chocolate Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing Cake
      makes enough for two 8" round pans, or a 9" square (about 7 cups of batter)

2 ounces/56g unsweetened, non-alkalized cocoa
      1 cup/236g boiling water
      1 teaspoon/4g regular strength vanilla extract
      3/4 cup/162g mayonnaise, vegan mayonnaise, or salad dressing (the tangy, off-white, sandwich spread type dressing)
      10.5ounces/300g all-purpose flour
      7 ounces/200g sugar
      0.35ounce/10g baking soda

Preheat your oven to 350°.
      Grease or spray two 8" round pans or an equivalent volume square or rectangle.
      Place the cocoa in a medium (4-5 cup) bowl. Add the hot water and stir with a fork to break up any clumps. Allow to cool down a little,  then add the vanilla extract and the mayonnaise or salad dressing spread. Beat well to eliminate lumps. In the bowl of an electric mixer or larger regular bowl if making by hand, sift in the flour and add the sugar and baking soda. Mix the dry ingredients to distribute evenly. Slowly beat in the cocoa mixture. Mix until the batter has an even color. Pour immediately into the pans. If making two 8" rounds, weigh them to ensure they contain equal amounts.
      Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the center of the top springs back when touched lightly. (The toothpick test does NOT work well on this moist cake!) Allow the cake to cool a little and shrink from the sides of the pan before removing. Removal is easier while still a little warm.
      Good with or without frosting.
      Good beginner cake for kids to make.

• By Sheel
      Prawn Balchao is a very famous Goan pickle that has a sweet, spicy and tangy flavor to it. 
      For the balchao paste you will need:
      > 8-10 kashmiri red chillies
      > 4-5 Byadagi red chillies
      > 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
      > 1/2 tsk turmeric powder 
      > 1 tsp peppercorn
      > 6 garlic cloves
      > 1/2 tsp cloves
      > 1 inch cinnamon stick
      > Vinegar 
      First you will need to marinate about 250 grams of prawns in some turmeric powder and salt. After 15 minutes deep fry them in oil till them become golden n crisp. Set them aside and add tsp vinegar to them and let it sit for 1 hour. Now, make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned under the balchao paste and make sure not to add any water. In the same pan used for fryin the prawns, add in some chopped garlic and ginger. Lightly fry them and immediately add one whole chopped onion. Next, add the balchao paste amd let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the prawns and cook until the gravy thickens. Finally add 1 tsp sugar and salt according to your taste. Allow it to cool. This can be stored in a glass jar. Let this mature for 1-3 weeks before its use. Make sure never to use water at any stage. This can be enjoyed with a simple lentil curry and rice.