• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 1)

Anna- that is what the fresh shitake look like from my markets. You might give one a test drive by quickly cooking it sliced into a pan with a bit of butter or oil. That way you will get an idea of the taste and how you would best enjoy them. I am not a fan, but then again I do not like them dried either. They are visually appealing so I often give into impulse and then wish I had grabbed king oysters instead.

I have to get hubby on a train in a few minutes but when I get back I fully intend to give them a try. I love the shiitake mushrooms that I usually find in my supermarkets but they have almost a flat cap nothing like these! Thanks for commenting.

Here's a link to one that look more like the usual that I buy.

Edited to add link.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The most recent purchase of shiitake look like what I used to buy in Japan. I like them sliced and sauteed in butter with a wee bit of soy. Yum!

Well the ones I just purchased are very different from my usual shiitakes. They are rather on the boring side and much chewier - very much like the dried ones when reconstituted. :huh: I guess that's exactly what they should be like! A little soy does perk them up though.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I sure wish I could lunch with you ladies!!!

Anna, did the pho have any noodles?

Yes, lots of noodles but it was nowhere near as tasty as other pho I have had. Something was definitely missing.

Edited to add:

Anytime you are in the area, Shelby, we'd love to have you along!

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

These shitakes are like the more expensive dried ones - called Fah goo - flower mushrooms. It's a variety of shataki. I have only seen them once here at our Safeway. It was years ago. The store received a case, but they had been sitting between styrofoam for too long. The aroma was so developed / intensified, and had a hint of stryofoam that we couldn't use them. I got the whole case free and was so excited, but... :sad:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Anna and I headed off to the gift show in Toronto today. Every time we go we say "next time we'll take our own food for lunch" - but it never seems to work out that way. We had a nice cruise around all the kitchen goodies - interestingly didn't see anything we couldn't live without - a rare occurrence for us in a veritable wonderland of kitchen goodies!

It was actually better food than we've had there in the past - not cheap however!

DSCN2463.jpg

A chicken wrap for Anna (can't recall the spicing).

DSCN2465.jpg

A roast beef and cheese sandwich for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Anna and I finally had a chance to get out again today after I was working up north for a week.

When I arrived to pick her up - Anna had her little square omelet pan waiting for me to take home - after I go through my tamago phase I shall return it to her!

First stop - the Punjab Market - we were seeing if we could find a Oreshki maker for prasantrin - they carry all sorts of european products. While they knew what we were talking about and had seen them at trade shows - there were none there. We grabbed some cheese, some csvarki (think chicerron) to munch enroute, a few assorted spices (I got some anardana - sticky dried pomegranate seeds) and some nuts. I buy all my bulk nuts there - fresh, good quality.

Second stop - Value Village - cruised the kitchen ware - got a tiny little steamer basket that will fit nicely on top of the thermomix when I just want to steam a small quantity of something. Also found this lovely little crock labelled Guernsey.

DSCN2511.jpg

We made a quick run through Denninger's also in search of the Oreshki press - again no joy!

Off to another thrift store where Anna scored some really pretty delicate chop sticks and I found a great little cutting board that the emerg kitchen is just calling out for.

We decided to check out Mex-I-Can for lunch. This restaurant was discussed on the Plan:2011 Candy and Confectionery Conference thread. We figured it was a good opportunity to see what the store was like attached to it and to enjoy some better mexican food.

After the very salty csvarki - Anna really needed something to wet her whistle. Given that she doesn't care for rice or beans - I think it was her most enjoyed part of the meal.

DSCN2502.jpg

DSCN2500.jpg

Of course the traditional basket of chips and salsa - not quite sure what the little fried up things were - they look like shrimp crackers - with none of the addictive flavour of shrimp crackers.

DSCN2504.jpg

A pulled pork burrito for me.

DSCN2505.jpg

Beef barbacoa taco's for Anna.

I love the little Guernsey steamed pudding basin.

I have one that is very similar but broke the lid several years ago. :sad:

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I love the little Guernsey steamed pudding basin.

I have one that is very similar but broke the lid several years ago. :sad:

One of those pretty little things - just had to have it. The lid doesn't really fit well - but I could steam a pudding in it well covered in parchment and foil and the loose lid wouldn't really matter too much. Time to dig out dad's recipe for steamed cranberry pudding.

Funny as Anna and I looked at a couple of nice little 'made in Japan' tea pots made years ago I believe something was mentioned about wishing we had as much room as Andi so we could take home all the goodies that we see that we like! Neither of us really have a spot to display stuff.

It’s been quite some time since these Ladies Who Lunch enjoyed Greek food so this week our restaurant of choice was Sotiris in Burlington, Ontario. In order to sample as much of the menu as we reasonably could in a single meal we shared a selection of appetizers.

calamari2.jpg

Calamari. Very tender!

gyro2.jpg

Beef and lamb gyro

wine sausage1.jpg

This wine sausage was very, very peppery.

pita2.jpg

Fresh pitas

endives2.jpg

This was the only mystery dish. The menu described it as “boiled endives” but I suspect it is escarole. When we asked our server she gave us an answer which seemed to suggest that “horta” covered any leafy greens prepared in this manner.

Despite our best efforts we could not finish everything so Kerry took a doggie bag with her for dinner at work.

Before and after lunch we explored kitchenwares at Value Village and HomeSense.

My 2004 eG Blog

Those greens look lovely. I thought horta were boiled wild greens dressed with olive oil and lemon - so any deep green would do. I am glued to the screen when you order calamari as it is my favorite.

Today I met with a couple of friends at a local Thai & Vietnamese restaurant called the Kemah Cafe. This was the first time any of us had visited this place. And we will definitely be going back soon.

Their lunch specials today included Tom Yum with the choice of shrimp or chicken. I chose a small cup with the shrimp. I tried to lift the shrimp with the spoon but it sank before I could snap the photo! The soup was just okay - it did not have as much flavor or heat as others I have had.

Tom%20Yum.jpg

The soup was followed by Grilled Pork with Steamed Rice. All three of us ordered this dish. The pork was great! We all liked it very much - nicely crisp but tender and full of flavor.

P2240023.JPG

My lunchmates had to go back to work after the meal so I ran some errands which included a stop by the library to pick up a copy of Rosetta Costantino's "My Calabria." I'm really looking forward to getting into this book.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

This wasn't lunch but dinner as our lunch break is only an hour. Our teaching staff of eight ladies and one gent usually have a "post mid-term exams staff meeting dinner" at different restaurants in Brandon, MB. This is the seond time we've dined at Diggers Restaurant at the Trails West Motel. 90% of the time, people have the usual hotel restaurant fare. Two years ago, they hired Moroccan Chef Rasid, formerly of a fancy restaurant? in Lockport, MB. He loves to cook food from Morocco, Portugal, etc., so if we get a group together, he will prepare a special menu.

Tonight, we were offered the following:

Choice of 3 salads, but we chose 2:

Sahara Salad of peach, shrimp and sauteed dates

Sahsalad4461.jpg

Calamari salad with cherry tomatoes

Calsalad4459.jpg

Soups:

Stone soup

stonesoup4456.jpg

Harira Moroccan beef soup with lentilsHMBsoup4458.jpg

Entrees:

Roast rack of lamb with stewed prunes

Lamb4466.jpg

Bastilaopenbastila4474.jpg

Moroccan Couscous Royal

MCouR4465.jpg

Seafood Rice

paela4469.jpg

Beef ala Portuguesa

beefport4468.jpg

We also had Portugeus sangria. For dessert, it was dates stuffed with whippef cream. They looked awfully rich and sweet, but we were pleasntly surprised by the coolness and not as sweet as we anticipated.

Chef came and sat with us, giving us a brief commentary of the food he prepared, and showed us how Moroccans ate couscous. :biggrin:

Chef4479.jpg

The food was delicious, and Chef entertained us well with his knowledge of food and culture!

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

We were out on a Monday this week (which will throw us off for the whole week I expect).

Our first stop was "the Keeping Room" a great little kitchen supply store in Dundas. They have just about everything there - we had a good old browse.

Lunch was at Bangkok Spoon.

DSCN2634.jpg

Ginger tea for me.

DSCN2636.jpg

Shrimp cakes.

DSCN2637.jpg

Duck red curry.

DSCN2638.jpg

Steamed mussels.

After lunch we hit Mickey McQuire's cheese shop for a collection of nice cheeses. A quick stop at Piccones to see what goodies were available, and Cumbraes to admire the prime meat and buy a skirt steak.

A quick stop at Longo's on the way home for some endive for Anna to try a sous vide dish and our day was over.

A friend and I re-committed to getting together once a month for lunch last November. Our objective is to try a new place each time and we trade off who gets to choose the restaurant. But in February we upped it to every two weeks as there are just so many places we want to try. Today we visited Michiru in Webster. We each ordered a Bento Lunch Special. My friend chose the Teriyaki Salmon and Tempura Shrimp, while I had the Teriyaki Chicken and Tempura Shrimp. The Bento comes with a bowl of soup, rice, lightly fried spring roll and four pieces of California roll. The Teriyaki was served on very tasty sauteed onions and mushrooms. The Tempura Shrimp came with three Tempura Vegetables. Everything was wonderful. Service was great as well.

Bento.jpg

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Two lunches for me this week. Today I headed down to Buffalo to visit Patris and have lunch!

Patty suggested a belgian beer bar and restaurant called Blue Monk.

We started out with duck frites - we chose the chipotle and bacon and the roasted garlic and sea salt mayos.

DSCN2645.jpg

I had the mussels with a lemon, beer, leek and cream.

DSCN2646.jpg

Patty opted for the special Monk Mac and Cheese - caramelized onion, guinness cheddar and a beer I've forgotten.

DSCN2648.jpg

I had to hit Wegmans after lunch to see what groceries I could find to bring back. I got a couple of big blocks of Cabot Seriously Sharp cheddar, some Yancy's Fancy wasabi and buffalo wing cheeses at the request of someone from work, and several pounds of the Wegman's brand butter. I also brought home one of their corned briskets. Patty says that cooked sous vide it's the bomb. Going to have to try it that way. Wonder if I should put the spice packet in with it directly or wrapped in food safe plastic inside that pouch as I've seen suggested in Under Pressure?

Man, I am still thinking about those frites. That place is definitely on my must-return list!

I do the brisket at 175 degrees F for about 16 hours. Before I bag it I just give it a blot and put about 2/3 of the spice packet on just the fat side. I love the texture - it just about crumbles if you slice it thinly enough, but not in that terrible sawdusty dry way. I cooked a tiny one over the weekend and have been eating it for lunches (except today!) over coleslaw, with a sprinkling of cut-up lite jarlsberg and a little bit of thousand island dressing.

Patty

Man, I am still thinking about those frites. That place is definitely on my must-return list!

I do the brisket at 175 degrees F for about 16 hours. Before I bag it I just give it a blot and put about 2/3 of the spice packet on just the fat side. I love the texture - it just about crumbles if you slice it thinly enough, but not in that terrible sawdusty dry way. I cooked a tiny one over the weekend and have been eating it for lunches (except today!) over coleslaw, with a sprinkling of cut-up lite jarlsberg and a little bit of thousand island dressing.

That sounds delicious. I have never cooked brisket but you have me thinking that I will soon fix that gap in my cooking!

My 2004 eG Blog

We decided to check out Mex-I-Can for lunch. This restaurant was discussed on the Plan:2011 Candy and Confectionery Conference thread. We figured it was a good opportunity to see what the store was like attached to it and to enjoy some better mexican food.

After the very salty csvarki - Anna really needed something to wet her whistle. Given that she doesn't care for rice or beans - I think it was her most enjoyed part of the meal.

Thanks so much for this report, Kerry. I don't know how I missed it. I take it you enjoyed the food. And do they still have a market area?

And what is 'csvarki'? I googled it and the first response was your eG post. The rest was not in English. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.