• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 1)

When Kerry returned from 5 weeks on Manitoulin we both knew that only one lunch would fit the bill for both of us:

Squid bits:

Calamari.jpg

and Pho! :raz:

Chicken and beef for Kerry:

chicken and beef php0.jpg

and rare beef for me:

beef pho.jpg

Then yesterday we needed to get supplies for the upcoming Eggfest in Niagara in the Asian area of Mississauga so we returned to a restaurant where we have had some excellent meals in the past. The menu is so challenging that whatever arrives at the table bears little resemblance to what we expected!

I believe the English menu explanation for the following dish was "sliced pork burritos!

Pork bits.jpg

This one was relatively easy cashew chicken:

Cashew chicken.jpg

Despite this being a Chinese restaurant I seem to remember these being called shashlik - anyway they were extremely spicy lamb skewers:

Shashlik.jpg

Self-explanatory scallion pancakes:

scallion pancakes.jpg

and finally, pork dumplings:

Pork dumplings.jpg

Far too much food - much of it went home with us!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We returned to one of our favourite lunch places yesterday, Panafresco, only to be terribly disappointed to find that their menu had changed and our favourites were missing. We did our best to go with the flow but……….

Kerry ordered the Burrata salad:

Kerry Salad.jpg

And I reluctantly settled for a pizza Margherita instead of the incredible funghi pizza I was anticipating:

pizza.jpg

Enough said.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday we returned to Lemongrass and despite some serious issues with our server who seemed intent on rushing us through our menu choices, we had some memorable food:

Thai crispy spring rolls with a sweet and sour dipping sauce:

spring rolls.jpg

Kerry's Crispy Chicken Breast with Peanut Sauce:

crispy chicken.jpg

And my Nasi Goreng:

nasi goreng.jpg

We each tried a little of the other's meal and we couldn't stop talking about how incredibly good it tasted.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday Kerry and I had business in Niagara Wine Country so we took advantage and returned for a long-anticipated visit to Ravine Winery Restaurant.

The on-line menu does not appear to be up to date but here's what we ate:

A few slices of baguette with some salted butter:

Baguette with salted butter.jpg

And here's a close up of the amount of salt on that butter!

close up of butter.jpg

The staff were extremely accommodating when we asked to share everything bringing two half orders of soup and providing extra dishes for the other food.

Cream of corn soup with lemon creme fraiche and a corn muffin stuffed with jalapeno peppers:

Corn soup.jpg

Shame that the soup didn't come with a marker as the rim would have accommodated a novel!

We shared an order of mussels in a fennel broth which came with frites:

Mussels with fennel.jpg

And the charcuterie platter (all cured and smoked on-site):

charcuterie platter.jpg

This included smoked duck, pickled veal tongue, chicken pate, smoked pork, pastrami and some pickles.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to have forgotten to post our lunch from a week ago Wednesday. We ate at a restaurant called Ben Thanh in Mississauga, Ontario. We decided to order just a selection of appetizers.

I had a Vietnamese iced coffee. If you look carefully you will spot a thermos. This is the first time I have seen it served with additional hot water but it is a great idea!

Vietnamese iced coffee.jpg

Calamari with wasabi dipping sauce:

Calamari with wasabi.jpg

Crispy Vietnamese spring rolls:

Crispy Vietnamese spring rolls.jpg

BBQ Beef rolls with avocado:

BBQ Beef Rolls with avocado.jpg

Crispy cyclone rolls:

Crispy Cyclone Rolls.jpg

(Imagine shrimp wrapped in Shredded Wheat! A very, very messy dish to eat.)

Today was the first opportunity we had to get together as Kerry has been working all day every day. We went for haircuts in Burlington and popped into Bento Box on Fairview in Burlington for a quick bite as we wanted to cram some thrift store shopping into the few hours we had! (I have a new passion – cheese making – so we have lots of things to source!)

Miso soup and the ubiquitous salad. The soup belonged to the Donburi and the salad to the Tempura but we swapped. I wasn't in the mood for soup.

soup and salad1.jpg

The lunch tempura:

tempura lunch.jpg

The chicken donburi:

chicken donburi.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

Might be something similar to this, with finer noodles and shrimp rather than shrimp paste?

http://www.vietworld...lls-recipe.html

Thank you honda. The recipe looks useful. We don't eat shellfish, but I guess they could be made with some other tasty filling.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

would there be a way to 'reconstruct' that wasabi dipping sauce?

My suspicion is that it was nothing more complicated than mayo and wasabi paste.

My 2004 eG Blog

well ... that's what it looked like to me. didn't want to lead you on ...

did you enjoy that with the squid? I know one might not like to comment ...

but for me I love crispy fries with mayo maybe a drop of lemon.

thanks!

I like wasabi (as I do horseradish) but not sure that either complements squid as well as other dipping sauces I have had. Diplomatic enough?

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday Kerry and I decided it was time to spread our wings a little more than we have been doing lately. Thanks to a colleague of Kerry’s we were alerted to the existence of an Ethiopian restaurant in Hamilton. After some productive thrift store shopping we found our way to WASS.

Our Filipino server :shock: did a fine job of explaining the nature of the Ethiopian dining experience and we ordered the Meat and Vegetable platter:

Inerja with meats and vegetables.jpg

There are two types of lamb stew, one with bones and one boneless, ground beef, chicken and an assortment of vegetable/lentil sides. As is the Ethiopian custom all were served on a "plate" of inerja, the spongy bread is that is also one's cutlery as it were. A second plate of rolled inerja is not shown. The menu and our server both offered detailed instructions in how to break off a piece of inerja and scoop up food from the common platter.

Kerry also ordered a spiced tea:

oval cup.jpg

The photograph does not show it as well as might be hoped but that cup is oval!

I tried to order Ethiopian wine but they were experiencing difficulties in procuring a supply so I had to settle for water.

My 2004 eG Blog

I went to the thrift store thread looking for a new post from one of y'all, but there was nobody home! Share, please! :wink:

OK, OK. posting something now! Here you go.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Time to do catch-up again! While my GF and I were having lunch today, she commented that I hadn't been keeping this topic current on our lunches. ;-)

Way back in August, when we were down in Galveston, we decided to give the recently opened Be Quay Vietnamese Sandwich Shop a try. We both ordered the B4 Roasted Pork, but I forgot to take the photo until after we had started eating.

BeQuay-01.jpg

The bread they use is awesome! Light and crisp on the outside and soft and moist on the inside. My GF bought a couple extra loaves to take home!

At the end of August, just before my GF left for her Alaskan cruise, we had lunch at the newly opened Panera Bread in League City, and used one of the coupons we had received in the mail for their two for two special - buy one lunch menu soup, salad, or sandwich combo and get the second one free. I had their Chopped Chicken Cobb with Avocado (sorry, photo was too blurry to post) and their Broccoli Cheddar Soup. I thought I was only going to eat the salad, so ordered the soup to go, but ended up eating it anyway, thus the to-go container.

Panera-03.jpg

GF had their Classic Salad, Frontega Chicken on Focaccia, and cut Apple. I again forgot to take the photo until after we had started to eat.

Panera-02.jpg

In September, after she got back from her trip to Alaska, we returned to Panera to use our other coupon - same deal. This time I had their Thai Chopped Chicken Salad and French Onion Soup. The meal came with a choice of chips or apple, and I had the chips.

Panera-05.jpg

I'll order that salad again! My GF had their Classic Salad with a Roasted Turkey and Avocado BLT on Sourdough, and an Apple.

Panera-04.jpg

And now we are up to today, where we returned to Floyd's Cajun Seafood in Webster. My GF had the 1/2 and 1/2 Combo of Fried Shrimp and Oysters with a loaded baked potato. (Sorry, photo was too blurry to post.) And I had one of my favorites, their Crawfish Etouffee with a side salad (not pictured).

Floyds-06.jpg

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Took the staff of the office I've been covering in for the last 4 weeks out for lunch at Lemongrass.

DSCN0593.jpg

We enjoyed the mixed appetizer platter.

DSCN0594.jpg

Crispy duck with curry sauce.DSCN0595.jpg

Pan fried noodles with shrimp.

DSCN0596.jpg

Crispy chicken with peanut sauce.

robirdstx- always great to see you posting and to enjoy at least the photos of your meals - but oh for a taste!

On Wednesday Kerry and I found ourselves in the Finch/Weston Road area of Toronto picking up chocolate for our part in The Luxury Chocolate Show. I asked Siri for restaurants in the area and we headed for Mama Mia.

We ordered the Tacos Supreme:

tacos.jpg

and helped ourselves to the two salsas on offer. One was a mild version and the other hotter with lots of jalapenos:

salsas.jpg

and a selection of empanadas including beef, sausage and original Chilean:

epanadas.jpg

I was fascinated with how they indentified the empanadas.

b is for beef.jpg

B is for beef:

Sa is for sausage:

sa is for sausage.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

My GF and I went to lunch at the Flying Dutchman in Kemah yesterday to celebrate her recent birthday. And we totally forgot about taking photos until we were driving away from the restaurant! Maybe we can blame the memory lapse on the drink we had with our appetizer! ;-) Anyway, we shared an order of calamari, then we each had a cup of New England clam chowder. For dessert, my GF had a slice of their chocolate chip pecan pie but I went for an order of french fries.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Realize I've got a couple of older lunches I didn't post -

Patris and I went to Mezza on Elmwood Ave in Buffalo last time I was down for the day. I went for the combo appetizer plate with fuul, sembousik and kibbeh. Patty opted for one of the wraps - sadly I can't recall which one it was.

DSCN0540.jpg

DSCN0538.jpg

Another friend and I had our twice yearly lunch out at the Martini House in Burlington a couple of weeks back. I enjoyed the mussels with white wine and chorizo and she had gnocchi in a mushroom, sundried tomatoe and vodka sauce.

DSCN0579.jpg

DSCN0578.jpg

My GF and I returned to one of our favorite spots for lunch yesterday - Tookie's in Seabrook. We both remembered to take photos, and even took them before we started to eat!

The usual #99 Burger for my GF:

Tookies-18.jpg

A T-Bird Salad with Fried Chicken for me:

Tookies-16.jpg

And we shared an order of Mama Ethel's Onion Rings:

Tookies-17.jpg