• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 1)

WOW! Those onion rings look fabulous.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

I am a little behind in posting our lunches!

A week ago Kerry and I dropped into Nonna's

Our plate of foccacia:

bread.jpg

We shared calamari:

SQUID BITS.jpg

and mussels:

mussels1.jpg

pizzA.jpg

and a Margharita pizza:

This past week we returned to Pomelo

Again we shared some squid bits:

DSCN0719.jpg

Kerry ordered the Tom Yum Pho:

PHO.jpg

I opted for the Bangkok Pad Thai:

BANGKOK PAD THAI.jpg

I have concluded after quite a number of versions of Pad Thai that it isn't for me!

Edited to add missing photo.

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I had been visiting family in Arizona and New Mexico for the last week, so after my GF picked me up at the airport, we visited Abe's Cajun Market and Cafe for a late lunch and got caught up.

I had their Catfish a la Abe's:

Catfish%2520a%2520la%2520Abes.jpg

Grilled catfish over rice, topped with crawfish etouffee, green beans, cornbread, and a side salad.

And my GF had their Seafood Platter:

Seafood%2520Platter-02.jpg

Fried catfish, shrimp, oysters, crawfish, and stuffed crab over french fries and hush puppies, cornbread, and cole slaw. Neither one of us could believe how huge this platter was! She took home a very full to-go box.

Hi all! This week my GF had a craving for steamed clams, so we returned to Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar in League City for our lunch.

Gumbo%2520Bar-06.jpg

The clams are steamed in a white wine and herb butter broth and come with crusty garlic bread for dipping.

I decided to try the Greek Salad, had it topped with Grilled Chicken, and really enjoyed it.

Gumbo%2520Bar-05.jpg

Last Tuesday was time for Pho again. I know, I know it’s boring but we tried to inject a bit of variety this time.

For a start we DIDN'T order calamari. Istead we ordered these:

snot balls.jpg

Can't find the name of them but they are very challenging for a couple of Westerners to tackle from a texture point of view. The filling was tasty but the wrap.................... oh boy.

We also both ordered iced Vietnamese coffee and so it was served this way:

coffee service.jpg

Kerry had her usual chicken and beef pho:

DSCN0722.jpg

And I had my usual rare and well-done beef pho:

pho 2.jpg

Our plate of additions:

herbs.jpg

Kerry thought you would love to see the mess we left behind!

mess1.jpg

"

mess2.jpg

Next week I am hoping to re-visit this restaurant (or one of its other branches) and try a "Bun" rather than a pho - a rice noodle bowl. We spotted a diner eating one of these on the way out and Kerry asked about it. It looked awfully good.

My 2004 eG Blog

The Lunch Ladies are So Lucky.

but I have concerns that they passed up Salted and Spiced calamari.

this is how things begin ......

N.B. note I did not write 'decline' I chose the looser term 'things'

you can take it from there. :cool:

Edited by rotuts (log)

Anna - those dumplings look like banh bot loc - made with tapioca flour/starch. I agree the texture is novel to the Western palate but they grow on you. I remember the first time a friend lovingly presented me with a similar dumpling wrapped in a leaf and watched eagerly for my first reaction. I acted well ;) Here is a link to one version http://www.theravenouscouple.com/2009/08/banh-bot-loc-vietnamese-clear-shrimp-and-pork-dumplings.html

• 2 weeks later...

Anna - those dumplings look like banh bot loc - made with tapioca flour/starch. I agree the texture is novel to the Western palate but they grow on you. I remember the first time a friend lovingly presented me with a similar dumpling wrapped in a leaf and watched eagerly for my first reaction. I acted well ;) Here is a link to one version http://www.theraveno...-dumplings.html

Sorry I missed this, Heidi. You many be correct but somehow it doesn't seem the same thing. II think this is the name from the menu:

BÁNH CUỖN NÓNG (KHÔNG CHẢ LỤA)

My 2004 eG Blog

I definitely have some catching up to do! The week of November 19th, we went in search of the promised Bun.

Grilled pork and shredded pork skin.jpg

Bun with spring roll and grilled pork and shredded pork skin. We were hoping this would be crispy pork skin but no such luck.

Grilled chicken.jpg

Bun with spring roll and grilled chicken.

Whether it was this particular preparation or the dish itself we don’t yet know for sure but we were both hugely disappointed. Before we dismiss this salad that is loved by both Vietnamese and foreigners we need to try a few more renditions.

My 2004 eG Blog

On Wednesday we went back to Sakai. We shared as usual.

A new item on the menu were these Mandu:

Mandu.jpg

dipping sauce for mandu.jpg

The dipping sauce was interesting. It tasted of soy and vinegar and was quite red so we guessed perhaps Chinese red vinegar.

The miso soup and salad:

salad and soup.jpg

Shrimp and vegetable tempura:

shrimp and vegetable tempura.jpg

Chicken Karashi - bits of battered chicken with teriyaki sauce and cinnamon:

chicken.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

Im not quite sure what:

" we went in search of the promised Bun. " means.

what I saw looked delicious. i understand one might not comment on what's on the plate, but ...

what where you looking for and did not find?

Yesterday Kerry and I drove to Buffalo for some retail therapy (and for diapers for Kerry’s rug rat). We met up with eG member, patris, who had been diligently researching spots for lunch. She chose an Ethiopian restaurant called Lucy. And what a choice it turned out to be.

From the exterior it was less than promising and I admit to a sinking feeling as I crossed the road towards it. Once inside, however, my spirits lifted. We were warmly greeted by the owners, Abba and his wife Naima, and the place was small but clean and interesting.

After reading the menu we decided to throw ourselves on the mercy of the staff and asked to be served a platter that would include both meat and vegetarian options. After some discussion with Naima, we were satisfied that we would have a fair representation of the food on offer. There were two lamb stews, a beef dish, some cottage cheese, some lentil and some vegetable sides. We also asked for three samusas – two meat and one vegetable:

sambusa.jpg

Googling suggests these are a close relative of samosas but the meat one I tried had a crispier exterior and a more densely packed, meatier interior than the samosas I am accustomed to.

The meal was presented in typical Ethiopian fashion and on a large tray lined with injera, the spongy bread of Ethiopia. Neither cutlery nor plates are offered as the bread itself is both “spoon” and “plate”.

Combination platter.jpg

combination platter2.jpg

combination platter 3.jpg

The bread was excellent and we asked for and received another plate of injera.

As we indicated that we had eaten our fill and would like to take the remainders with us, Abba apologized that he did not have dessert but offered a plate of sweet pastry-like leaves and a small pot of honey that his mother obtained especially for him from Ethiopia. It was the most amazing honey we have ever encountered. It was thick, even thicker than peanut butter, with an incredible floral taste. All three of us were deeply touched that he would share such a treasure with three strangers. (But read the comments here! Apparently generosity is very much a character trait of the couple who run Lucy.)

Honey.jpg

We learned Abba is actually from Toronto and his parents and siblings still live in Toronto.

Those of you who follow our annual migration to Manitoulin Island might recall our very unsuccessful attempts at making injera!

We discussed the process with Abba and he was more than happy to share his knowledge. At Kerry’s request he took up into his work space to show us the intricacies of making injera in huge quantities.

He uses a mix of teff and barley flour since teff is difficult to source and very expensive in North America. He showed us his current batch of dough and explained the process of turning it into injera. We touched the dough and it was ice cold despite being kept at room temperature! I must find out why.

His cooking surface is an aluminum electric griddle, with the guts removed, heated over a propane burner!

Such an incredible lunch and now patris is under pressure for the next time Kerry and I head south! How can she possibly top this?

I doubt I have done this experience credit so I hope patris and Kerry will fill in any missing details.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

Last week my GF and I finally got together for lunch again. This time, we drove down to Galveston and had our meal at Rudy and Paco Restaurant and Bar.

Fish%2520Tacos-01.jpg

I had the Gulf snapper tacos, grilled, which came with a cup of tortilla soup.

Fish%2520Tacos-02.jpg

And my GF had the Crabmeat Pasta, angel-hair pasta tossed with lemon butter caper sauce and Jumbo Lump Crabmeat.

Crabmeat%2520Pasta-01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working way too much lately. It has certainly interfered with our ability to get out to lunch. So today I finished up a bit early so Anna and I were able to catch a bite and check out some major appliances.

We opted to scoot into Bento Box one of our reliables when we want a quick lunch.

DSCN0785.jpg

Soup and tea.

DSCN0788.jpg

Our first plate of sushi - always wise to mention the crab allergy early in the game!

DSCN0789.jpg

The replacement sushi.

DSCN0791.jpg

A nice little tempura plate to share.

DSCN0794.jpg

A bit of chicken teriyaki each.

A couple of weeks back we hit Lemongrass again. We shared the appetizer platter and the crispy chicken with peanut sauce. Very satisfactory!

DSCN0782.jpg

DSCN0783.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Our routine has been disturbed by the sheer number of shifts I've had to work in the past 3 weeks. We managed to get out for a few hours the other day and found our lunch at Bahn Thai, a spot we haven't hit for quite a while. We know their calamari is one of the best in town.

DSCN0795.jpg

We also shared a red curry with pineapple and chicken and a beef massaman curry.

DSCN0797.jpg

We had enough leftovers so that we both got a dinner out of it. Mine at work sadly.

Yesterday we were running around Oakville - trying in vain to find a pair of 'better than jeans' for me to take to San Francisco.

The Coach and Four pub seemed the best choice given our location.

DSCN0799.jpg

Irish Nacho's to start - thick cut potato crisps with nacho fixings.

DSCN0801.jpg

A lamb sandwich for Anna.

DSCN0803.jpg

Butter chicken for me.

After the nachos I really didn't need any more food - so we asked the server to bring along takeaway containers so we could pack the rest to take for dinner at work. But we did need it on the plate first for a picture - wouldn't look the same in the containers.

Butter chicken worked out well - there was enough there for both me and my medical student, who doesn't seem to be able to organize food for himself before he leaves for his shift.

• 3 weeks later...

Found ourselves well north of Toronto in Richmond Hill this week. Decided that a little detour to the Galleria supermarket was in order - both for lunch and a little grocery shopping.

We both had bibimbap - it's been a while and it was a welcome lunch. Of course we had to cruise the aisles, admire the marbling on the short ribs and bring home kimchi and other asian necessities.

DSCN0909.jpg

Had a chocolate class last Saturday and a sitter for the day - so Anna and I took the opportunity to get a bite at the Bombay Grill.

DSCN0910.jpg

Vegetable pakora

DSCN0912.jpg

Naan and Lamb saag

DSCN0914.jpg

Rice and chicken bhuna.

Yesterday we needed to hit an asian market - Anna has a copy of Every Grain of Rice and needed a few things.

So lunch was at the chinese place we've been to before called Xin.

I have been eating low carb for a week or so - which meant we tried a few things we haven't before.

DSCN0917.jpg

Shrimp and eggwhites

DSCN0919.jpg

Fried rice for Anna

DSCN0920.jpg

Dry fried beans

DSCN0923.jpg

Stir fried lamb with green onions - apparently cooked by a colourblind chef.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to be up on the mountain in Hamilton this week because of a class I was teaching - so took the opportunity to hit Lemongrass again.

DSCN0929.jpg

I'm rather accustomed to getting a pot of tea at most asian places - rather disappointing to get a cup of hot water and a tea bag on the side.

DSCN0930.jpg

Anna smarter and had the Thai coffee.

DSCN0931.jpg

Beef salad - not larb.

DSCN0934.jpg

Crispy duck with peanut sauce.

DSCN0937.jpg

Curried shrimp.

This week I had to be at work for 3 pm, so we stuck around the Oakville area - and spent some time shopping in Walmart of all places. Anna's son had seen something she needed in the store so we went in search of it! Of course we had to check out the food section.

We also looked at the cookbooks and Anna found this gem -

IMG_0490.jpg

She knew she had to have it when she opened it at this page -

IMG_0489.jpg

And after checking out the 'hand slaughtered' Halal chickens in the meat case - this seemed appropriate -

IMG_0491.jpg

We were making an embarrassment of ourselves giggling like school girls.

Lunch was at Tokyo Bay.

DSCN0980.jpg

Tea of course.

DSCN0983.jpg

DSCN0982.jpg

Apps - tempura and gyoza.

DSCN0985.jpg

DSCN0986.jpg

Miso soup and salad came with one of the mains. So we each chose one.

DSCN0987.jpg

We shared a kitchen sink udon.

DSCN0989.jpg

And some Korean kalbi cut ribs.