• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recoil Rob

Bastard condiments?

Mustard + Ketchup + Horseradish

I love it on any kind of fried potatoes especially Tator Tots

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I really like sriracha and dijon, too, especially on hot dogs and burgers.

mayo with hot smoked paprika mixed in...with sweet potato spears to dip...mmmm :cool:

This isn't reply at I can't figure out to just add a comment. But anyway my favorite bastard condiment has to be: mayo, siracha, habenro mustard and a little soy. :raz:

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"

Oscar Wilde

mayo with hot smoked paprika mixed in...with sweet potato spears to dip...mmmm :cool:

This isn't reply at I can't figure out to just add a comment. But anyway my favorite bastard condiment has to be: mayo, siracha, habenro mustard and a little soy. :raz:

Another favorite is Balsamic vinegar + mayo with hard boild eggs= goodness!

Oscar Wilde

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see "fast reply" (for simple replies that don't require any special frills) and "add reply" (for when you want to add links, bolding, italics, etc.) buttons. Then you can reply without quoting anyone else's post.

Mustard + Ketchup + Horseradish

I love it on any kind of fried potatoes especially Tator Tots

Isn't that kind of like seafood cocktail sauce? I make cocktail sauce with ketchup and horseradish, but no mustard. Do you use regular mustard or dijon?

Isn't that kind of like seafood cocktail sauce?  I make cocktail sauce with ketchup and horseradish, but no mustard.  Do you use regular mustard or dijon?

I normally use just plain yellow mustard but if I'm feeling adventurous I'll use dijon and occasionally I'll even add a little Coleman's dry mustard to add a little more spice. I've ever heard that being called a cocktail sauce but I guess ketchup and horseradish is so it's very close.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Oooh ... I don't really get very creative this way as a rule, but I have certainly got to try a couple ... or a few .. of these soon!

Another thing I'm going to try soon (which I just read about the other day as a sauce for something there is no way I'm ever going to make in its entirety), is basil mayonnaise. I've put all kinds of things in mayo for one reason or another, but basil sounds like it might be a winner. How did I miss that??

Lynn

Oregon, originally Montreal

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"

Thanks Prasantrin. I'm not to computor savoy.!

Oscar Wilde

Just made a first stab at dynamite sauce.

Got the smooth richness of the kewpie Mayo followed by a stab in the throat from the Wasabi.

Is the colour right or should I add more Wasabi and any other ingredients?

3015652372_c4326908ed.jpg

“Do you not find that bacon, sausage, egg, chips, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread and a cup of tea; is a meal in itself really?” Hovis Presley.

Mayo and coconut milk.

Intriguing combo. What do you eat it with?

Equal parts mayo and mustard, horseradish, and two dashes of Worcestershire for veggie dipping (raw or deep fried) and makes a good side for pigs in a blanket as well. I also spread the bread with it for tomato sandwiches. Substitute lemon for the Worcestershire for meats and seafood. Sub wasabi for horseradish and soy for Worcestershire for hubby's grilled fish. Leave out the horseradish for egg or potato salad.

It was in the news this morning:

"Heinz Is Threatening to Release 'Mayochup' Nationwide and the Internet Is Torn"

Their name for it sucks and is completely uncreative. I preferred some of the names posted in Twitter mentioned in the article.

So is this new bastard condiment a sign of the impending Apocalypse? xD

• Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Don't they call that Thousand Island dressing?

Or, if you're in Mississippi, Comeback Sauce?

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

When I was in college my roommate's boyfriend made this salad dressing that was absolutely delicious. He said it was Russian dressing, and I asked him how he made it. He said, it's ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together. And I said, oh c'mon Mike, what is it? And he said, no really, it's ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together. I refused to believe it, but he kept insisting! :laugh: That was in the early seventies. It's still delicious. (And it's still ketchup and mayonnaise.) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, cakewalk said:

When I was in college my roommate's boyfriend made this salad dressing that was absolutely delicious. He said it was Russian dressing, and I asked him how he made it. He said, it's ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together. And I said, oh c'mon Mike, what is it? And he said, no really, it's ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together. I refused to believe it, but he kept insisting! :laugh: That was in the early seventies. It's still delicious. (And it's still ketchup and mayonnaise.) 

Back in the 50s, during hot summers, my mother, who didn't really like to cook, often made a big chef's salad for dinner for the five of us. To the usual greens, she'd add sliced hard-boiled eggs, ham and cheese for protein, and throw in leftover veggies from previous dinners - green beans, peas, corn, carrots, etc., - along with a smattering of whatever else we had had the previous few nights. She'd put it into this huge salad bowl and toss it up with a big dollop of mayo & a few hearty smacks on the bottom of the ketchup bottle. 

We all loved it. 

• Like 7

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hiya, Cakewalk. 

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Speaking of mixing stuff with mayo for condiments, was anyone else watching Masterchef Jr the other night when Gordon et all stirred pesto into mayo to make a sauce that he then used as a hamburger spread and as a dip for fries? Looked pretty good. Definitely going to give that a try. I mean, pesto & mayo...how could you go wrong with that?

• Like 2

I can testify to enjoying the mayo/pesto mix - usually on grilled veggie sandwiches or with french fries or boiled tiny potatoes.

• Like 3

This was my salad dressing as a kid.  My folks were into that "nasty" to me at that age, bleu cheese stuff.

Funny I actually served it to my not-yet husband and he was so impressed with my cooking skills.  Took

awhile to admit what it was.  He still stuck around so either it was really tasty or it was true love (for me).

We still use it for fries and  with clam strips with a little relish added.  

• Like 2

• Similar Content

• By markovitch
      A while ago, to learn the ins and outs of Horseradish, I began making my own mustard. I have managed some really really good varieties, (one with black mustard seeds, rice-wine vinegar, horseradish and Kabocha squash) and some really god awful ones too. I recall that my grandmother used to make her own ketchup too. it wasn't all that good.
      has anyone made their own condiments before?
      care to share experiences?
    • By Lisa Shock
      The basic formula for these cakes was developed by the wife of a mayonnaise salesman in an effort to help him out. I did a bit of research, and have found many variations. Early variants generally involve using less cocoa, which I cannot recommend. Later variants involve using cold water instead of boiling, adding salt, and additional leaveners. I personally do not feel that any additional salt is needed, as mayonnaise and that famous, tangy brand of salad dressing (sometimes the label just says 'Dressing') both contain a fair amount of salt. If you are using homemade mayonnaise or a low sodium product, an eighth teaspoon of salt may boost the flavor a bit. And, of course, somewhere along the way fans who prefer a certain salad dressing over mayonnaise started using it to make this cake. Nowadays, the Hellman's website has a different formula -one with added eggs and baking powder. I have not tried this newer formulation.

Some versions of this recipe specify sifted cake flour. This will result in a very light cake with virtually no structural integrity, due to the paucity of eggs in this recipe compared to a regular cake. Cupcakes made this way give beautifully light results. However, every time I try to make a traditional 8" double layer cake with cake flour, I experience collapse. I recommend AP flour or at least a mix of cake and pastry flour.

I have never made this with a gluten-free flour replacer. This recipe does not have very much structural integrity and as such does not make a good candidate for a gluten-free cake.

I have made this cake many times, the type of sandwich spread you choose will affect the outcome. Made with mayonnaise, the cake has a good chocolate flavor and moistness. Made with that famous, tangy, off-white salad dressing that gets used as a sandwich spread, the cake has a subtle bit of extra brightness to the flavor. If one chooses to use a vegan mayonnaise, the result is tasty but lacking a little in structure; I would bake this in a square pan and frost and serve from the pan.

The cocoa you use will also affect the flavor.  For a classic, homey flavor use a supermarket brand of cocoa. To add a little sophistication, use better, artisan type cocoa and use chocolate extract instead of the vanilla extract.

Supposedly, the traditional frosting for this cake should have a caramel flavor. Look for one where you actually caramelize some sugar first. Modern recipes for the icing seem like weak imitations to me; using brown sugar as the main flavor instead of true caramel.

Chocolate Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing Cake
      makes enough for two 8" round pans, or a 9" square (about 7 cups of batter)

2 ounces/56g unsweetened, non-alkalized cocoa
      1 cup/236g boiling water
      1 teaspoon/4g regular strength vanilla extract
      3/4 cup/162g mayonnaise, vegan mayonnaise, or salad dressing (the tangy, off-white, sandwich spread type dressing)
      10.5ounces/300g all-purpose flour
      7 ounces/200g sugar
      0.35ounce/10g baking soda

Preheat your oven to 350°.
      Grease or spray two 8" round pans or an equivalent volume square or rectangle.
      Place the cocoa in a medium (4-5 cup) bowl. Add the hot water and stir with a fork to break up any clumps. Allow to cool down a little,  then add the vanilla extract and the mayonnaise or salad dressing spread. Beat well to eliminate lumps. In the bowl of an electric mixer or larger regular bowl if making by hand, sift in the flour and add the sugar and baking soda. Mix the dry ingredients to distribute evenly. Slowly beat in the cocoa mixture. Mix until the batter has an even color. Pour immediately into the pans. If making two 8" rounds, weigh them to ensure they contain equal amounts.
      Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the center of the top springs back when touched lightly. (The toothpick test does NOT work well on this moist cake!) Allow the cake to cool a little and shrink from the sides of the pan before removing. Removal is easier while still a little warm.
      Good with or without frosting.
      Good beginner cake for kids to make.

• By Sheel
      Prawn Balchao is a very famous Goan pickle that has a sweet, spicy and tangy flavor to it. 
      For the balchao paste you will need:
      > 8-10 kashmiri red chillies
      > 4-5 Byadagi red chillies
      > 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
      > 1/2 tsk turmeric powder 
      > 1 tsp peppercorn
      > 6 garlic cloves
      > 1/2 tsp cloves
      > 1 inch cinnamon stick
      > Vinegar 
      First you will need to marinate about 250 grams of prawns in some turmeric powder and salt. After 15 minutes deep fry them in oil till them become golden n crisp. Set them aside and add tsp vinegar to them and let it sit for 1 hour. Now, make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned under the balchao paste and make sure not to add any water. In the same pan used for fryin the prawns, add in some chopped garlic and ginger. Lightly fry them and immediately add one whole chopped onion. Next, add the balchao paste amd let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the prawns and cook until the gravy thickens. Finally add 1 tsp sugar and salt according to your taste. Allow it to cool. This can be stored in a glass jar. Let this mature for 1-3 weeks before its use. Make sure never to use water at any stage. This can be enjoyed with a simple lentil curry and rice.
    • By sartoric
      I make this a lot. Traditionally served with dosa, but great with all kinds of Indian food, even just scooped up with bread or pappads for a snack. Although it's slightly different every time, depending on the tomatoes and chillies used, plus the strength of the tamarind, it's easy, quick to make and always delicious.

In a blender - half a medium red onion chopped, 7 dried red chillies broken up a bit, 2 ripe tomatoes chopped, 1 tsp of sea salt, 3 tsp tamarind paste.

Whizz until purée like about 2 minutes.

In a sauté pan over medium heat add 60 ml sesame oil (gingelly), when it's hot but not smoking add 1 tsp black mustard seeds.   

Quickly cover the pan to prevent escape and sizzle for a minute.

Add 1 tsp of urad dal (black lentils, skinned and split they are light grey).

Fry until golden, another minute or so.

Throw in about 20 curry leaves. These splatter so cover the pan again. 

Lower the heat and add the  blender contents.

Simmer, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes, until you get a runny jam consistency.

Ta da !

• By HoneyMustard
      Pennstation's Honey Mustard taste so good, but they don't sell it in stores like Big Boy Frisch's sells their tartar sauce.

I am assuming they buy it in bulk from a certain name brand. Does anyone know what that brand is or at least a similar Honey Mustard recipe?