• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Oh yes I do recall. I had a Mexican woman working for me who was perplexed by home ovens - they do not have them either. What I really want is a wood fired outdoor one - a girl can dream. This city is riddled with restaurant ones like Nancy's Pizzeria Mozza https://la.pizzeriamozza.com/
  3. Today
  4. Well I won't be roasting it. We don't have ovens here!
  5. Often served roasted whole to preserve the outer space look. https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/roman-style-romanesco
  6. Yeah. I've found it and edited. Thanks.
  7. It has become quite in vogue here. More cauliflower than broccoli taste to my not too discerning palate. Beautiful though. This I think https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesco_broccoli
  8. According to the OED the word is Syrian Arabic.
  9. Here's an oddity. Although it was labelled as 西兰花 (xī lán huā), which is 'broccoli', it looks like no broccoli I've ever seen before. Even the checkout girl asked me what the heck it was. I'm guessing it might be some variant or hybrid. I'll cook it later and see if it tastes of broccoli. EDITED: to note I've found it. It is Broccoli Romanesco - 罗马花椰菜 (luó mǎ huā yé cà) or 宝塔花菜 (bǎo tǎ huā cài) - literally, 'pagoda cauliflower'.
  10. I am reminded I was acquainted with a caterer who had fled Hungary during the revolution. He had been a physician in the old country. Once upon a time I was tasked with arranging a luncheon for an eminent Hungarian biochemist. I did what I had to do. Though I was reprimanded for the cost.
  11. liuzhou

Lunch 2020

Spicy shrimp with garlic ginger, shallots, chilli and scallions. Orzo.
  12. Robenco15

Dinner 2020

Duck Confit - 68C/36hrs Celery Root Puree - 85C/1.5hrs Duck Fat Potatoes Watercress and Pink Navel Orange Salad
  13. My mom's a big fan of their chocolate, and stocks up on it after the major holidays when it gets marked down.
  14. Sorry no photo but wanted to add to the cooked in the CSO information bank... cooked five lobster tails in the CSO and we really liked how they came out. Cut the belly shell but left the tail meat in (for easier removal after cooking), inserted skewers so the tails wouldn’t curl, placed tails on racked tray, and steam baked for 10 minutes at 350 F. Served with melted butter and stovetop mac & cheese.
  15. robirdstx

Lunch 2020

Yes, that is what we did. I was just expecting one potato shell, with crispy skin, cut into four pieces and loaded with the cheese and bacon, instead of two halved WHOLE baked potatoes, with non-crispy skin.
  16. https://www.bamix.com/en/home.html
  17. Yes! But maybe I will try it again first.
  18. Lovely story. I remember reading this some time ago and I know I shared on FB - don't know why I neglected to share it here! Thank you for doing so, @chromedome!!
  19. I am so surprised to hear of one of the Edward's Petite hams being sub par. Our local grocery store carries them and we always have one on hand. We've never been unsatisfied with them. We cut them fairly thick and never soak them and they are never tasteless, over-salty or dry. You definitely should contact the Edward's folks, if you haven't already.
  20. You might have read how loyal a supporter of BM I've been. I LOVE Carl Jr's Beyond Burger. Its juicy patty, ton of fresh veg, good bun. Only problem they are BIG. Half one with fries on a combo is good for me...and also for husband. So we're driving to the country and starting to plot our lunch stop. Husband suggests splitting a Beyond. Sure. So we walk in and husband spots the promo poster for a Barbequ Beyond. I can't squelch his enthusiasm altho it sounds gross. Wasn't wrong. Soggy bun. Overcooked patty that resembled the typical/worst real burger. NO VEG except for a thick deep fried onion ring. Just about everything I dislike about fast food burgers. It was, in short, awful. Thank God for the fries.
  21. You have tried vinegar already?
  22. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2020

Left a plate of fuyu on the table in order to ask husband what dressing he wanted. He attacked the plate, happy with nature's flavors. ....all gone. Green chili and cheese enchiladas
  23. As mentioned, seems to be a lot of cross over between flavours and food - I will attempt a list of flavours: - Truffles (white or black, I am not picky!) - Mangoes - Raspberry - Caramelized Onion - Roasted Garlic - Lobster - Crab - Roasted Almond - Figs - Wok-hay-Veggies
  24. scamhi

Dinner 2020

sheet pan roast of cauliflower and large 13-15 shrimp with a salsa verde
  25. Okanagancook

Lunch 2020

@robirdstx they will reheat beautifully in the CSO if you have one.
  26. Does anyone know where to get Milk Chocolate Vermicelli in the US? Callebaut makes it, but I can only find the dark chocolate version online. My European friend used to bring it over when he could but he doesn't have any visits planned for quite some time now.
  27. Might be worth buying a jug of distilled water for the CSO.
  1. Load more activity