• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. teonzo

Balancing bonbon recipes

Good to know, thanks. I've always been skeptical on these kind of programs for ganaches, can't see much value in them. Since it's possible to create a new recipe from an existing and working one, and it does not take much effort, then I always preferred that way. Teo
  3. Have you considered inulin? Around here many professionals are starting to use it. It adds body without impacting sweetness or calories, being a non digestible fiber. Teo
  4. Kerry Beal

Balancing bonbon recipes

ProChoc gives an Aw reading - it doesn’t address balance of fats etc for texture - then again - not totally sure the other does either
  5. teonzo

Balancing bonbon recipes

As far as I know the first program for balancing ganache recipes was/is Pro-Choc. I thought it was included in the book "Ganache – l'art et l'expertise" by Jean-Pierre Richard, just checked and Librairie Gourmande says I was mistaken: the book explains how to use the program, but the CD-ROM does not contain it, it has only advertising pdfs. The real Pro-Choc is still updated constantly and for sale, but for much higher price. Can't comment on the qualities of any of these programs, never tried. Seems like what happened with the program for balancing ice-cream recipes by Angelo Corvitto: his one was the first and the most expensive, then others followed and took "inspiration". One important thing to remember is that the method used for realizing a ganache has a sensible impact on its qualities (Aw, smoothness, so on), this was clearly pointed out by Frédéric Bau with his method of voluntarily breaking the emulsion. So programs like this one will just give an overall view for the recipe, not the perfect final numbers. Teo
  6. Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Question about frozen mussels

I've had bivalve/shellfish food poisoning in the past--it's an experience I'd rather not repeat. That's why I asked. I am somewhat reassured...
  7. Hello, folks, thanks for reading. My husband thinks, I should start selling my popcorn seasonings (which I make for my family), it’s a good product. But I'm not sure if it’s interesting to other people... So, what do you think, guys? Our story: We’ve bought an air popper machine, but popcorn came out pretty tasteless. Then, we’ve bought different “popcorn seasoning” mixes... But it always ends with all the seasoning at the bottom of the bowl. Then, we've added butter, oil and so on before seasoning... we got soggy, chewy popcorn. Lot’s of disappointments… When we almost gave up… the magic happened! I figured out the way to make seasonings that: Stick to popcorn, but not sticky to fingers (or T-shirt , Easy to apply, May be pre cooked in bulk and stored… And popcorn appears crunchy, tasty, thoroughly covered with seasoning. Sounds good, yep? Now, when I want to treat myself - I only need 2 mins to turn tasteless popped popcorn to a real treat. The only moment - it request 1 extra effort: after you toss it over popcorn, you need to microwave it for 1 min, and stir after. So, I was wondering, if you like popcorn like myself - would this seasoning be interesting for you to purchase? Are you ready for a little extra work (microwave & stir) in the goal to flavor popcorn, or it feels too much effort? As I have no experience in manufacturing and retail, your answers would help me to make a very important decision - to dive in or not... Thanks in advance for your answers, it means the world to me.
  8. Today
  9. Jim D.

Balancing bonbon recipes

I just checked out the program. At 799 euros, it should be very balanced indeed! (I realize it's only 50 euros after the first year.)
  10. Jim D.

Balancing bonbon recipes

I for one look forward to seeing your evaluation.
  11. Kerry Beal

Balancing bonbon recipes

There is a program called Ganache Solutions - running a trial version of it to see what it’s about. As far as I can tell it’s a glorified version of the spreadsheet but has all the values on there.
  12. makingcoffee

Press Pot/French Press Coffee

I have to travel a lot for my work and I do not like the taste of coffee they serve at the airports. You know what I am talking about overpriced sweet water labelled as coffee. That's why I purchase a french press so that I can enjoy my coffee whenever I am travelling. But I don't use it only when I am travelling but also when I am at home or going for office. I just put it in my briefcase and use it whenever I needed.
  13. I am not a very technical guy about making espresso. I like it plain and simple just freshly coming out of my keurig coffee maker and enjoying it with my breakfast. I have an automatic machine for this purpose and it have not disappointed me.
  14. Jim D.

Balancing bonbon recipes

That is a good example of why I have never been able to use the spreadsheet. There are so many variables and the makeup of the various ingredients is often impossible to find or calculate. Rob was going to talk about balancing ganaches at this year's workshop, but I understand he did not have time to do that.
  15. JoNorvelleWalker

The Best Way to Cook a Thick Steak

Amazon sent me one of their better dry aged ribeye steaks: Quite delightful.
  16. Presumably the potato salad has been made and enjoyed and the red notebook located but if not, check these posts: Potatoes Eggs
  17. heidih

Yes I noticed - sorry. The DGritzer article is still alive.
  18. JoNorvelleWalker

They all died?
  19. liuzhou

Dead link.
  20. Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Thanks, Heidi, for the information about unopened shellfish. As for the kind of mussel, I don't know--I just know that the store has them but I haven't bought them yet. However, I now have confidence that the frozen ones will work pretty much the same as fresh. We'll get a supply the next time we go to Morelia. Thanks, all-- Nancy in Pátzcuaro
  21. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

A variation on a theme. 水饺 (shuǐ jiǎo), literally 'water dumplings'. Boiled chicken and shiitake jiaozi in a spicy chicken stock with garlic, chilli and white pepper. Mustard greens.
  22. There are several versions of the WASC, check cakecentral.com and search for the original one by kakeladi. I ended up using the one by Liz Marek on sugargeekshow.com. That one is different in that it has butter added, along with milk instead of water. If I were to use it again, personally, I would back off the additional sugar a little, and cut the almond extract in half. Kakeladi's seems to be loved by tons of people that have tried it. I might try it one day to see what all the fuss is about.
  23. I'm interested in this. I've been on a decades-long hunt for a good white cake. Can you direct me to the actual recipe you used and what adjustments it called for? Thanks so much!
  24. Retailers sell what consumers want and that is usually a lower price. Manufacturers have to cut corners to deliver those prices. p
  25. Kerry Beal

Balancing bonbon recipes

I'm trying to plug a few things into the spreadsheet this evening and I realize that the white chocolate (chocovic opal) appears to contain no milk fat. Unless it's made with nonfat skim milk powder - seems odd there would be none. I'm also discovering how difficult it is to find spec sheets on various chocolates.
  26. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

My black cardamom pods from Penzeys are dried out and splitting. They look like the picture from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_cardamom https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/BlackCardamom.jpg
  27. JoNorvelleWalker

Box and Other Hand-held Graters

And now the price of the Cuisipro has gone back up to what I paid for it. Amazing.
  1. Load more activity