• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Had not made a patterned Joconde in quite a while so I made a hazelnut and chocolate mousse tort. Came out a little rough, but overall happy since it had been a couple of years. Rushed the freezing (or lack thereof) of the first mousse layer and the buttercream layer fell into it. Great practice and look forward to making more!! Chocolate spongecake base, patterned joconde, and ganache Layers from bottom: Chocolate spongecake, hazelnut praline feuillitine, chocolate mousse, Bailey's buttercream, Chocolate mousse, and ganache. Spongecake did not really go well with it and will change it up in the future.
  3. chef rubber has a glucose powder, you could inquire about DE https://shop.chefrubber.com/item/501214S/Glucose-Powder/
  4. If all goes well tomorrow - I will be making “my*” Coconut Filled Coconut Bundt Cake tomorrow ... *Its not mine - It’s a recipe on King Arthur Flour and it’s delicious. I sub the milk for coconut milk and don’t use lemon - I have an aversion to lemon. Coconut Filled Bundt Cake
  5. Today
  6. CatIsHungry

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Thanks for posting that @ElsieD - that is the brand I prefer - although I hear many wonderful things about TJ’s brand of cookie butter. Cookie butter is a wonderful thing - sub it anywhere you would use Peanut Butter or nut butter - (or - since I introduced my mother-in-law to it - do as she does and eat it straight up — with a spoon 😉 ) ...
  7. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073FSY76/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=b4bbef4e-170e-463d-8538-7eff3394b224&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00JTNSB6O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=WTPXM7WTR8F2TEJ7G27B&th=1
  8. Darienne

Wow! Never heard of cookie butter before. A whole new vista opens up. Thanks, CatIsHungry.
  9. Vague range in my world! A little more or a little less matters naught - a whole lot more - well it might over temper more quickly. I've reached the point where I can look at the amount of chocolate I have and figure out how big a scoop I want to put in there. I just pretend to use the scale most of the time.
  10. CatIsHungry

Sorry - my mistake ... Savoy’s Scones ... http://www.fairmontmoments.com/food-drink/scones
  11. Kerry - how precise do we need to be with the 1% silk? Tenth of a gram? Nearest gram ? Does going a little over 1% cause any issues?
  12. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

We had an early dinner at Michiru in Webster: GYOZA (shared) BEEF SZECHUAN STYLE (for him) with Hot & Sour Soup and Steamed Rice C2 ROLL (for me) Filet mignon, fried crawfish, avocado, steak sauce, spicy mayo, garlic chips
  13. Is the link supposed to go to the recipe?
  14. Yesterday
  15. A lot of the blame for the unreparable appliance problem I think lies with the Walmart and Targets of the world who demand lower and lower prices for appliances. They’ve reached the point where repair is more expensive than buying a new one.
  16. It's on the back of the packaging, but you have to zoom in on the image on their product to read it.
  17. I checked the Modernist Pantry powdered glucose page when @paulraphael posted. Where does it say the DE number?
  18. Modernist Pantry sells a powdered glucose with a DE of 95+. I don't know if that's what you're looking for though. Modernist Pantry also sells N -Zorbit in retail quantities, if that's the type of maltodextrin you're looking for.
  19. CatIsHungry

Cayenne?! Hmmm 😀 I will have to give that a try in one of my next batches - thanks for the tip! ... A few years ago I turned my son on to cookie butter so I will oft sub cookie butter for Peanut Butter- that is his fave version, of course ... Oh - Kolaches!!! That was another big winner with the meeting crowd - I did a variety of fillings - apricot - cream cheese - apricot / cream cheese - prune - cherry - cherry / cream cheese - etc ... And the Savoy Scones - not like a typical American scone at all - these were good! - oh these are so delicious - so light - soft - absolutely heavenly. Haven’t made them in a while - I used figs instead of sultanas - the recipe is at fairmontmoments.com - I’ve made full recipe (makes a fair amount) and halved it no problem) ... the double egg wash absolutely makes a huge difference.
  20. http://fixitclinic.blogspot.com/
  21. Katie Meadow

Artichokes

Okay, I'm crazy for artichokes. Of course I love them steamed whole, with something for dipping and that's always easy. Here in CA the artichokes have been very good and not too pricey this season. Gabrielle Hamilton has a relatively novel way to steam artichokes currently, but as with some simple ideas, hers can take a turn for the labyrinthine. I swear she could write several pages on how to butter a slice of bread. Lately I came across a simple technique which is rather clever: cut off the top third and steam them cut side down over lemon water. They cook a little faster that way. But my favorite way to eat them is also the most labor intensive: peeling away a lot of the raw leaves (on large chokes), cutting them, scraping out the fuzzies, putting in acidulated water. Then I dry them briefly with a cloth and sauté them in oil or butter until they are crispy. Prepped like that they are then fabulous whether they are on top of spaghetti, in a lasagne or, my favorite way, as a pizza topping. But that's a lot of work and, sadly, I'm getting kind of lazy. When chokes are not in season or I want an adequate substitute, I'm looking for a short cut. I don't want marinated in oil; I'm not after a salad. I can't stand canned artichokes. I tried the Spanish style roasted chokes from TJ's, and the texture was okay, but they were so heavily seasoned I had to wash them off. Plain frozen artichokes seem like they have more potential, but even thawed and drained they are pretty watery and flabby. How do I get them to dry out a bit without overcooking them? Are all frozen artichokes pre-cooked? Or are there any frozen raw ones? So far any artichoke that isn't fresh seems not very good. I shouldn't be surprised; it isn't as if I eat many frozen vegetables. I suffer through corn withdrawal ten months a year. If anyone has a clever way to deal with this dopey problem let me know. My husband has volunteered to prep fresh artichokes so I don't have to do it, but I'm not sure he knows what a pain it is and to be honest I am worried that he will stab himself with a knife or a leaf tip or a grapefruit spoon when removing the fuzz.
  22. I'm looking for someone who sells retail quantities with reasonable shipping prices. Most importantly, I'm looking for products that report DE numbers. Almost everything I see is mystery ingredients. In a perfect world, I'd be looking for very low-DE values. Thanks!
  23. weinoo

Adorable Gummies

I love gummies, but I don't know if the type I love I'd give to the kiddies. Leggos or not.
  24. Wow, never seen such a big mulberry! Here the biggest ones reach 4 cm top, most trees give fruits that are less than 3 cm long. I know only one tree here that gives the white ones, they are my favourite, such sweetness and fragrance! Mulberries are totally forgotten and overlooked here, there are plenty of trees in the fields, but nobody harvest mulberries anymore. There's a long bicycle path that is surrounded by mulberry trees, when in season the asphalt becomes purple, yet people keep their eyes on their smartphones, really sad. Teo
  25. Shelby

Dinner 2019

I've been meaning to tell you ever since I saw your post that every time we went to Chi Chi's this is what I ordered too!!! Came sizzling on that very hot plate along with rice and refried beans. Heavenly. I'm sure that yours were even more delicious using the real stuff
  26. Shelby

Dinner 2019

Oh they are so good. SO much better than I can get at the store. I'm very lucky that she gives me some of hers. That's why I try to keep her in fresh caught fish and ducks and geese.
  27. ElsieD

Dinner 2019

@Shelby I would really, really, like some of those berries. We are still at least a month away.
  28. My cousin and I are in Richmond for a quick visit. We were impressed by Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. And Edgar Allan Poe Museum is very interesting. But I travel to eat ;). Lunch at Sabai. https://www.sabairva.com/. Green papaya salad, pork belly, dry beef were outstanding. Calamari were not my favorite but my cousin loved it. Entirely too much food. Entirely consumed.
  1. Load more activity