• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. My favourite tea is Assam from Upton Tea. I probably have 8 different varieties of it! 😄
  3. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/jan/22/maths-experts-secret-perfect-espresso
  4. Try cracking the egg into a strainer and those wispy bits will fall through the strainer and then you won't have those bits.
  5. Today
  6. Ah, interesting. I often get a metallic taste from coffee and have been trying to figure out why. Almost all coffee served in Australia is a fairly light roast but most shops I know do let it rest though. I think the extraction can have something to do with it - even to the point of different baristas (depending on the machine). I seem to be susceptible because other people don't notice it as much.
  7. Wow...what a difference between Greweling's Recipes and @schneich's recipes on page 2 of this thread: I'm going to make them both tomorrow, but my guess is that Grewelings will be more like an American style firmer cut caramel, and Schneichs' will be more like a Genin-style chewy soft caramel. 40g of butter to 680g of sugar (in Grewelings caramels using fresh dairy) vs 700g of butter to 1000g of sugar in Schneich's. Talk about different approaches! Greweling isn't using lecithin, so if Kriss Harvey is using it, I am guessing he tends towards the "more butter" side of the spectrum.
  8. I'm very interested in this dish, how do you make yours, @makeamix41?
  9. The bats and parrots don't tend to stick around
  10. weinoo

Dinner 2020

This butcher, Ends Meat, has beef aged from like 2 weeks to 4 months. Some of that stuff looks funky!
  11. weinoo

Dinner 2020

Just salt and pepper.
  12. This post from Kriss Harvey, one of my chocolate gods, shows the process. He uses this technique when he wants to cap a bonbon that has a liquid filling that can't be capped the traditional way (because the chocolate would displace the filling). If you're using a traditional filling like a ganache, gianduja. praline or even a firmer caramel that can support the weight of the chocolate, there owuld be no reaosn to use this method over the regular way of capping your bonbons. There is also capping the bon bons with an acetate sheet or transfer sheet as @RWood described, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're talking about (but just in case, take a looka t the second video, also from Kriss Harvey).
  13. Will do. I'll give that a try. I'm also going to try increasing the temperature to a simmer and see if that keeps the egg off the bottom of the pan. It's too bad it stuck...the whites were perfect. The egg was probably older as there were lots of 'wispy' parts of the white that came off. The denser part of the white was cooked completely and still tender. The yolk was completely runny! Just the way I like it!!
  14. TicTac

Dinner 2020

Hard to tell from the pic, but did you put any seasoning on it besides black pepper? Huge fan of dry aged steaks - a local butcher (Cumbrae's) that supplies most of the top restaurants in Toronto puts out some amazing beef and has an 8 week aged rib-eye that is out.of.this.world.
  15. Exactly! Poaching on the non-precision cookers of the past...I RARELY had a problem with sticking. I can't remember the last time it happened. I'm thinking with the temperature of the water at 183F, it's not boiling, allowing the eggs to drop and sit on the bottom of the pan. The only option would be to increase to a simmer and decrease time. I'll give that a try in the morning.
  16. Well Marauchan isnt generic and in Atlanta it's plenty of options that are a good brand. But nissin is .
  17. I am inspired. I had the same problem with the Paragon. So whether you spend $69 or $1800 your poached eggs will still stick to the bottom of the pan. Before this precision cooker I never had any problem with my poached eggs sticking to the bottom of the pan! Such is progress.
  18. Yesterday
  19. weinoo

Dinner 2020

Ends Meat grass-fed porterhouse, about 1.75 lbs. Only aged 21 days as that's what I wanted, trying to break Significant Eater into the funk slowly. Reverse sear, oven at 225℉, till the steak reached about 115° internal temp. Then slammed in cast iron. Served with green beans and roasted baby potatoes. Cabernet Sauvignon from Stonestreet.
  20. Let me know how/if it works. I have the control freak also so I'm curious. What were the whites like?
  21. I use the same method as @RWood as well. I've seen some of the more well known chocolatiers use transfer sheets mainly for branding purposes. I find it helpful to cap with an acetate or guitar sheet if I ever slightly overfill my molds. It helps to keep the chocolate cap higher than the filling.
  22. Back to B’s family for dinner again tonight. It was just Bhavani and I until @Alleguede and B returned from packing suitcases - so all the put away food returned. was given a lovely parting gift
  23. There was quite the parade of Selmi’s returning to their docking stations at the end of the competitions
  24. got a little movie of the thermoformer too there’s going to be an EZtemper in Hanger 78 - silkomart’s school
  25. Exactly. You need something with blades, not something that beats or whips. Blades cut through, beaters beat, 2 different effects. Sorry but I don't know how to answer with written words to such a question. This is one of the things you show with the real example, I never heard / read words that can explain the desired consistency. My best answer would be "go to the best pastry shop near you, buy an item with pastry cream, that's the desired consistency". Not of help, but I don't know anything better. Teo
  26. Well known Italian pastry chef Luca Montercino who happens to be an EZtemper owner!
  27. Few random pics from the show today
  1. Load more activity