• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starches: The Topic

Franci

Hello!

Does anybody have a nice chart that summarize the thickening power of the different starches vs flour?

In particular I'd like to know wheat starch, corn starch, potato starch (or flour), rice flour, arrowroot or any other that you might consider interesting.

I have saved a piece from understanding baking by Amendola. There, if I remember correctly, he says double flour than cornstarch, and even greater thinckening power of potato starch vs corn starch (double).

Can anybody be more precise?

Thanks!

I have a vague memory of RLB discussing the merits of different thickeners and how they perform as glazes/gels for pies and fruit tarts in her Pie and Pastry Bible book; the book is on loan to a friend so I can't get to it to check. I don't know whether this is helpful to you or not, but maybe if your local bookstore has a copy, you could browse through it and see.

• 17 years later...

I've always used corn starch as a thickener. Over the last number of months, potato starch has shown up with greater frequency in recipes to use as a thickener.

Is potato starch gaining in popularity, or am I just becoming more aware of its use? More to the point, what are the advantages/disadvantages of these two thickeners?  When do you use one or the other?

... Shel

I find corn starch more apt to produce a shiny / glistening sauce - I use it most for stir fry.

another:  velveting beef strips for various Asian inspired dishes.

for most other 'thicker needs' I use a roux.

however, when things go sideways and I need a quick fix thicken I'll use potato starch, potato flakes or corn starch slurry.

corn starch seems to thicken at lower temps, i.e. a roux is not up to full thickening power until the 'sauce/gravy/whatever' actually boils a bit.

As noted in this post about starches used in China, I exclusively use potato when starch is required and have been doing so for decades. It is the choice of most cooks, professional or amateur in Sichuan cooking as well as here in Guangxi, although other starches are used more in other provinces and areas.

I don't see much difference, if any, between them.

potato.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

When younger, I used to make a lot of things destined for the freezer. Somewhere I read that corn starch survived being frozen better than roux. But this theory didn't consider potato starch and I know very little about potato starch.

Sweet potato starch  appears in lots of asian fried recipes.  I've used it and it makes for a sturdy fried coating...kind of like trisol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Sweet potato starch  appears in lots of asian fried recipes.  I've used it and it makes for a sturdy fried coating...kind of like trisol

Yes. That's also used a lot round here.

S: 红薯淀粉; T: 紅薯澱粉 (hóng shǔ fěn), sweet potato starch.

sweet potato.jpg

• Like 2

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

GreenVC2017-Abdullah (iop.org)

tl;dr: 

Potato starch has a lower gelatization temperature than corn starch, meaning it thickens faster, and - depending on cooking time - more complete (i.e. leaves less to no starchy residue that may impact the mouthfell). It also has a higher bulk density, so all in all you need less potato starch than corn starch for the same effect (think 2/3).

• Like 3

Or cassave starch!

Tapioca.jpg

20 hours ago, weinoo said:

Don't forget tapioca starch!

I always carry a small package of tapioca starch in my Go-Bag for those unexpected thickening emergencies that happen when on the road.

Edited by Shel_B
Rhythm (log)
  • Haha 3

... Shel