• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starch Molds and Molding

Capouch

My starch-printing molds.  I have two more finished that aren't mounted yet.  The starch is in a 9x13 pan.  

Printing is a bit of a chore since I have found it essentially impossible to raise the mold straight up without slightly moving it to one side or the other, which often causes cave-ins or smears.  I am working on a frame to hold the mold with an apparatus that will push it straight down into the starch, allow for more pressure that I can get just pushing with my hands, and most important, it will lift it straight back up.

I also made a "pusher" for each shape that is the "negative" of one cavity with a handle on it.  I use them to clean up any sloppy edges , sprinkles of starch in the bottom of a cavity, or slight cave-in.

20240205_025746.jpg

20240205_031131.jpg

20240205_031311.jpg

• Like 1