• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblogs: Coming Attractions

The bridge is the George Washington Bridge, but I can't tell if it is going into or out of NYC. The second photo would make me think out of. This suggests that a NYC resident is heading to the country this Memorial Day weekend towards NJ, Pennsylvania or upstate NY.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The bridge is the George Washington Bridge, but I can't tell if it is going into or out of NYC. The second photo would make me think out of. This suggests that a NYC resident is heading to the country this Memorial Day weekend towards NJ, Pennsylvania or upstate NY.

It's been a long time since I last visited the city, but my brain is somehow insisting that is indeed a westward view on the GW Bridge. And that second photo looks so familiar, somehow--probably because I grew up in Rockland County, with lots of ponds and lakes around that look very much like that one ...

Meanwhile, a little creative Googling turned up this listing of motorcycle runs in New York State. Note the two runs happening within the time period of the upcoming blog. Hmmmm ... :biggrin:

I'll add that this person is likely right-handed, which eliminates around 10% of the population.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Monday, September 10, a tag team blog, featuring two bloggers! This one based on geographical proximity.

The area they live in is famous for the following produce items:

gallery_6263_3_34545.jpggallery_6263_3_20539.jpg

And, some other geographical clues:

gallery_6263_3_78484.jpg

gallery_6263_3_11936.jpg

Any guesses as to where we're going? Who our fearless bloggers will be?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

First thought Russia. Because it looked like potatoes and yogurt.

Second thought somewhere near the water because that looks like a boat thingie.

Third thought Siberia. But I didn't know there were any eG members there, no less two of them.

Final guess Nova Scotia with Chromedome and someone else.

that looks like the makings of salt potatoes on the left - a syracuse specialty. and goodness knows there is tons of snow there as well. onions...... there are bunches of places that grow onions like near Florida.

maybe phaelon or mrsadam?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

It's Syracuse! I see salt potatoes (Hinderwadels?), onions (perhaps Rapasadi onions?), the Canal Museum, and a typical winter day. Man, I miss the place. Time to go home for a visit? Nah, just read the blog! Can't wait!

Imagine, there is someone else who knows the Syracuse Canal Museum.....I've been married to a "canal" person for a long time which makes that almost holy ground. Western NY at last! Maybe unknown to those from elsewhere.....but despite Buffalo's reputation it is Syracuse that frequently gets the most snow. We personally just hope to spend February in someplace farther south.

J in Rochester

Edited by JTravel (log)

I just noticed something that's funny -- look what post number my "It's Syracuse!" response was...315!!! (The area code for Syracuse).

I'm totally beside myself waiting for this one. I can't tell you how many food things I miss about the area. Half Moon cookies are a big one -- NOT the same thing as a Black and White. Lunas! And the availability of fried fish -- good fried fish -- everywhere. It seems so insane to me that I could get better fish in Syracuse than I can in Wilmington, DE.

JTravel -- I can't tell you how many hours I have spent in the Canal Museum on field trips. There and at the Salt Museum. Of course, now I just wave at the Canal Museum while going into Smith's....

Whomever is doing this one (and I assume Phaelon is one of them) please show everyone history's first drive through bank.

Ok, I'll shut up now. But I'm really, really, excited to see this blog! I love them all, but this one is special. :wub:

hey catew and jtravel - spent a lot of time on Euclid Street. actually got engaged to Johnnybird there. he went to ESF which was based on SU campus.

Definition of sun - a rare celestial occurance.

worked with a guy from syracuse/liverpool. he made some of the best salt potatoes....

freaked everyone down here in jersey out the first time he served them at a party.

can't wait. i hear dinosaur has reopened. someone i work with has a son in his senior year at su.... will alert her and said son to the blog.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

If you have been following along with Melissa and Owen, it is time to pull out that passport and get an airline ticket!

gallery_6263_3_23863.jpeg

gallery_6263_3_28627.jpg

Where are we going? One clue: the bread is naturally leavened, and includes rye. And, I can guarantee we haven't gone here before during an eG Foodblog.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

It's been a very long time since I last visited but that looks like it could be Copenhagen.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm thinking Scandinavia, but dithering between Helsinki & Stockholm.

Think I'll go for Helsinki since I can't remember Stockholm having that much open water in it's harbor.

Is that a sauna house I see in the background?

Tallinn Estonia

and yes it took a bit of time to work that out

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Heading for Moscow, Tallin and Helsinki next week......so hoping it is one of those.

Enjoyed the upstate NY one, even the hour or so from Rochester to Syracuse makes a difference in some available foods. BUT the international ones are FABULOUS!

That hunk of meat and potatoes looks just like my second dinner in Munich though....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association