• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sustainable, Schmustainable: Zuckerberg's Personal Cattle Ranch Attracts Ridicule

chromedome

Okay, we've debated the sustainability and environmental impacts of beef on here repeatedly over the years, and we've largely agreed to disagree and/or understand each others' positions on the matter (ie, "'It's not the cow, it's the how,' is not a scientific statement but literally a marketing slogan created by the beef industry").

And then there's... this. And even in the context of our current disenchantment with tech bros, it's kinda special.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/10/zuckerberg-cattle-hawaii-beef-environment

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Oh, good grief! I've forwarded this ridiculous story to our friends who have a ranch in New Mexico where they raise organic grass-fed beef. I don't eat a lot of beef but when I do I eat theirs, which reminds me what really good beef tastes like.  Do cattle actually like to eat macadamia nuts? And who shells all those nuts? We have a tree, and getting that hard shell off the inner nut isn't trivial. First you have to take off the green outer shell (like a small coconut), then crack that very hard brown shell without smashing the nut itself. That's why macadamias are so expensive.

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

when you have that kind of money 

you can start all sorts of projects 

that in themselves are, on their own ridiculously expensive 

but you just don't notice the cost , nor do you even care .

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, rotuts said:

when you have that kind of money 

you can start all sorts of projects 

that in themselves are, on their own ridiculously expensive 

but you just don't notice the cost , nor do you even care .

happens to me all the time

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6