• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Personal Canelé Rabbit Hole

JeffGC

Here is another twosome I baked this evening.  These were baked non-convection for 30 minutes at 300 and 40 at 400.  The molds were sprayed with baking spray.  The outsides were nice and crunchy, the inside custardy.  Although there was no "white ass" a few spots could have been a bit darker so I will increase the baking time a little next time, probably tomorrow.  Oh yes, I used the same molds that I used this morning, both times sprayed with baking spray.  They popped right out.

20240128_203803.jpg

20240128_205748.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Added pictures (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Baked the final 4 from this batch of dough (batter?).  Very, very pleased.  I'm going to stick to the recipe @JeffGC posted, but stay with Jacques Pepin's recommended oven settings.  Since they don't seem to suffer from not coating the molds with butter/bees wax, I'll continue to use the baking spray.  No picture as they looked like the previous post.  For a lark, though, I may try Jacques Pepin's recipe. Thanks, Jeff, for sharing.

• Like 1

I made Jacques Pepin's recipe for canelés and baked them as instructed, 30 minutes at 300F and then 40 at 400F.  They were burnt on the outside and still notably underbaked on the inside.  Wet, really.  I used the batter to bake the rest of the batter as four sets of two on different days adjusting oven racks and times. Not good.  Tonight I'm going to make up another batch of batter following @JeffGC's recipe.  That's what I'm sticking with.

Some months ago, I was really frustrated with the process of consistently coating the interiors of the molds. Molds too hot or too cold. 50/50 to hot or too cold. I’m pleased with the method I now use. 

1. Molds are warmed in a 170° F oven. I place four or five molds on 1/8 sheet pans and only remove each from the oven when ready to coat. When I removed all of the molds at the same time, they would cool. 

2. To control the temperature of the 50/50, I use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C69CBGRQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1  It’s a thermostatically controlled hot plate. I set as low as possible but sufficient to melt the mixture. 

3. i pour the 50/50 into each mold and then pour back into the warming pot. At every opportunity, I set it back on the burner. The pot is a candle wax pot. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BYHF2CG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  4. after coating, I remove the wax dimple at the bottom and scrape off any excess, around the mouth, with a bamboo chopstick. 

When coated properly, you can’t see any 50/50 inside the molds. They release perfectly. 

Elsie, you and I are sick!

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2024 at 11:28 AM, ElsieD said:

Since they don't seem to suffer from not coating the molds with butter/bees wax, I'll continue to use the baking spray.  

Do you wipe out the excess baking spray or just spray and use? I tried making these, spraying the molds with Pam, but it seemed like way too much  and there was a lot of grease everywhere after cooking. They did slide out extremely easily though. 

I try to spray them as lightly as I can, but there does seem to be more spray in there than I'd like. The last time I baked some I put the molds upside down on a paper towel to see if the excess would drip out but that didn't happen.   I have never wiped the excess out, being fearful of the batter "glueing" itself to the molds.  Also, I line my baking sheet with foil which catches any grease as they bake.  Also, it may sound silly but I spray them in the sink.  When spraying with Pam, are the outsides nice and crunchy?

Thanks, yeah I also sprayed in the sink and used as lightly as possibly but Pam comes out pretty thick and quick. I have some Kirkland canola oil spray I might try today.

14 hours ago, ElsieD said:

When spraying with Pam, are the outsides nice and crunchy?

Yes, but when I pulled them after 40 minutes at 400 they looked underdone with tops and bottoms still being white so I put them in and out for probably a total of 50-55 min at 400 and then another 5 outside the molds, which got rid of the cul blanc but they were way overcooked on the outside at that point. Too hard crust and burnt tasting. I’ll do some more today and pull them at 40 min regardless of how they look.

• Like 1