• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Spices

RonC

Here's the solution I built. Holds 56 spices, although right now my top shelf is in disarray. I'm using jars with a clear top so you can see how many are left, and I've got them in alphabetical order so it's super-easy to find whatever I'm looking for. It's definitely made a big difference in how often I use spices. When it was a pain to dig out a bag or bottle from who-knows-where, I sometimes just wouldn't bother. Now not only can I find them all, but I can also just look through and get new ideas from having everything right in front of me!

And no, my kitchen doesn't defy gravity. I can't figure out how to rotate the picture.

I would love to know where you bought the rectangular containers!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I bought a whole bunch of 4oz and 8oz square containers from this place:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=47

Under $1 each and they are food safe and block out light plus stack nicely. I'm not a big fan of tall, slender, glass spice containers. A pain for measuring and grabbing a pinch of something is easier when you can actually grab it...

This is all in theory though... I will be picking them up from the postal outlet this week. Will post a before and after pic

rg

I bought a whole bunch of 4oz and 8oz square containers from this place:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=47

Under $1 each and they are food safe and block out light plus stack nicely. I'm not a big fan of tall, slender, glass spice containers. A pain for measuring and grabbing a pinch of something is easier when you can actually grab it...

This is all in theory though... I will be picking them up from the postal outlet this week. Will post a before and after pic

rg

Yup I use the 4 oz version of those, which actually hold a surprising amount given that they don't look too big. The only issue I have with them is that the tops can be a bit of a pain to get back on, but most of the time they work fine. And it maximizes use of space when you line them up, and easy to get measuring spoons in them!

...I have absolutely no wall space in my kitchen - it's all covered with cabinets.

Same here. I keep my spices in clear shoe boxes, grouped alphabetically. More or less. All the spices are kept on a shelf in a cabinet.

SpiceContainers.jpg

I buy my spices in bulk at a local store, in small quantities. If I haven't bought too much, I can stuff the baggies in the small jars, which I buy separately. I reuse sturdy jam and jelly jars, too. Any extra spices are kept in a canister for refills.

If I had an extra shallow drawer to spare, I could use the shoe boxes like separators or trays. But I don't, so I stack them in the cabinet like this. Since they're alphabetical (more or less), I know which shoe box to aim for. BTW, I think storing the spices in a cool, dark cabinet keeps them fresh longer.

SpiceStack.jpg

The labels are very high-tech, masking tape & ballpoint pen.

I like the wire basket idea used by wholemealcrank. When we were in a rented condo in Moab with almost no cupboards, closets, etc,...I kept a lot of stuff on the top of the kitchen cabinets, such as they were. Mexican in one plastic basket, Chinese in another, chocolate in another. It was very handy. It was also very ugly. The baskets didn't match. Hey! We didn't 'live' there. The cupboard tops were very low. I didn't care what it looked like.

At home, our cupboards are too high for me to store such things safely, assuming I bought all matching containers. I have to stand on a stool to get anything down from there and a basket of any kind would be too dangerous. So my spices are all over the place, as is my entire kitchen. :wacko:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I put spices in square glass jars in a drawer. I label the tops so I can read what's what easily without having to fiddle with them. The square shape keeps them oriented so the labels are always readable and the shape is space efficient. Bought at www.sunburstbottle.com I got the SQ190 bottles. I've been happy with them. There seem to be a couple of heights available in the square shape.

• 13 years later...

Host's note: This post and several responses were moved from the topic Worst Kitchen Product Ideas - v.2024, which is the source of references to blinking lights and computer codes.

hee-hee!  I don't "stock" per se "mixes/blends" - DW has been known to buy stuff like "Italian seasoning" - but I prefer to portion out the individual 'stuff' meself. 

86 is a good number!  I like it!  spice on!

we're not fans of highly spiced/hot spiced dishes, hence many of the 20-alarm bottles don't get a bed in my cabinet.

but, , , , we survive . . . . 

some special stuff get purchased 'per dish' - shichimi togarashi is one.  little vial.... used lately "post original need" in a stir fry . . .

oh boy.... it is really hot - future use will be only in mini-pinches!

I have a vial of saffron for "Amish Chicken Corn Chowder" - now . . . . that's a contradiction in existence, because the Amish are very thrifty and would never be buying saffron threads . . . . for anything . . .

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

DW has been known to buy stuff like "Italian seasoning"

I make my own only because I like instant gratification and I've developed a darn good Italians seasoning mix. That the only mix that I don't make myself is Herbs de Provence because I can't find lavender.

6 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

hence many of the 20-alarm bottles don't get a bed in my cabinet.

I don't have anything either that is very hot. The only thing that I have is some new Mexican chili powder which I have to be kind of careful with.

7 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

I have a vial of saffron

I forgot about my saffron and when I went to look for it I realized I have another cabinet with about 20 other spices such as asafran, achiote, three types of mustard seed, Goya Sazón, Etc.

I wish we hadn't started this. I can see a project in my future of spice reorganization.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Spice bottles and holders have always been a racket.  To do it House Beautiful, you'd need 10 matching racks and 150 matching bottles.  And they should be hidden in the dark anyway!

I long ago got a dozen smaller cheap plastic tubs, and labeled them alphabetically, plus extras for salts, peppers, vinegars, rubs, oils, etc.  Everything--bags, bottles, tins, jars--gets tossed inside.  If I'm feeling fancy, a magic marker records the purchase date. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only spice  racks that I have in my kitchen sitting out are these two.

20240613_132234.thumb.jpg.a192e8151c22c7f1664fb69190e3a40b.jpg

This is one that my husband made for me about 25 years ago.

20240613_133727.thumb.jpg.bda45cb0fb1eedd37d3902f391b2990e.jpg

These are the shelves of a butcher table that he also made.

20240613_133727.thumb.jpg.bda45cb0fb1eedd37d3902f391b2990e.jpg

Only the spices that I use most often are here. My bottom cupboards are extremely deep, Costa Rican Style. I bought a whole bunch of cheap cake pans about 14x18 inches and everything that I have is in those pans so that I can use them as slide-out drawers. I have one cabinet that just has spices. All the bottles are labeled on the top so that I can just look down on them and choose what I need. I also have all my flavorings and food color in these. The rest of my spices are in the refrigerator or freezer because in this climate they go stale fast.

I couldn't even imagine trying to cook with one or even two computerized racks. Although I did have one friend that only cooked with salt and pepper. She didn't believe in herbs or spices. Lunch at her house was always very boring.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

SpiceDrawer01-21.thumb.jpeg.b509a54bbb7830405f0eff44802fa041.jpeg

Does one really need more spices than this? (OK, I have a Cambro each for Thai food, Indian food, and Japanese food. They may hold some cuisine specific spices).

That pic is from a couple of years ago; I now have at least a dozen Burlap & Barrel things too.

Indianspices10-17.thumb.jpeg.290e160fc307c1373654bac6f6684a4a.jpeg

Oy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 6/13/2024 at 7:18 PM, weinoo said:

OK, I have a Cambro each for Thai food, Indian food, and Japanese food. They may hold some cuisine specific spices.

What do you do for the overlap?  I don't know much about Japanese food, but there's definitely some spices used in both Thai and Indian foods.

On 6/13/2024 at 4:18 PM, weinoo said:

Does one really need more spices than this?

My, that's pretty and organized.

I have to ask, though...  Did you buy all these bottles at once, or did you settle early on one brand/format, and just keep adding?  Or--more like me--did you change formats/racks several times along the way to make things uniform?

Edited by Laurentius
Redundancy. (log)
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2024 at 9:23 AM, KennethT said:

What do you do for the overlap?  I don't know much about Japanese food, but there's definitely some spices used in both Thai and Indian foods.

To be honest, I wasn't thinking about overlap as I bought spices for each cuisine, but now that I've had them for a while, the stuff that gets used more frequently is in the shared space. Also, to be honest-er,  a lot of the ingredients I bought for Thai and Indian cookery were bought during the crazy-er pandemic times, when I wanted to cook stuff that we couldn't go out for. My more "normal" cooking style is Italian, French, Spanish...along those lines. Mediterranean + Middle Eastern, if you will.  Then, Chinese and Japanese, whose common ingredients have always been in shared, more accessible space. 

On 6/16/2024 at 11:11 PM, Laurentius said:

My, that's pretty and organized.

I have to ask, though...  Did you buy all these bottles at once, or did you settle early on one brand/format, and just keep adding?  Or--more like me--did you change formats/racks several times along the way to make things uniform?

Much of the Penzey's stuff was bought at the same time; every year or so, I restock the dried herbs and ground spices, and I like Penzey's for that.  As can be seen in this more current spice drawer picture, some Burlap & Barrel has entered the fray, either gifted to me or purchased as one-offs.  Also a bunch of different saffrons in the lower right, and the rectangular boxes are 3 different styles of pimentón, recently refreshed when we went to Spain in December!

SpiceDrawer2024.thumb.jpeg.9b041e3940ba508b0a4d333812b5a040.jpeg

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Ikea over-counter cabinets with spice bottles on stair-step shelves. White bins above hold bulk spices and dried chiles. Bins for dedicated Indian or SE Asian spices are in another cabinet.

IMG_7971.thumb.jpg.eb374786526d99c5f2f8f440459973ed.jpg

Originally we just used wood blocks to hold up the stair-step shelves, but apparently I drilled extra holes for shelf pegs. Must have been some time ago because I don't actually remember doing that. :rolleyes:

IMG_7972.thumb.jpg.97e8ae54431eb184d02535ef21f20a55.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When we bought our house 13 years ago, I was delighted to find 2 tall cabinets (95cm x 32cm) with removable glass shelves on either side of the stove. The shelves are 2 jars deep, which makes it easy to find what I need. (Would someone please give a medal to the person who realized that square jars are better than round ones!) Baking items and larger jars for things like caraway seeds are stored in one cabinet and savory herbs, etc., are in the other. The doors keep out light, but probably it is a little warmer than desirable because of the location near the stove. The only problem was that whoever drilled the holes for the pegs that hold the shelves drilled them just a teensy bit too big. So once I decided on the spacing, we glued them in place. I buy much of my herbs and spices from Penzeys, of course, but locally there's a bulk store in nearby Morelia that has an impressive amount of herbs/spices. Unfortunately they only sell them in 100gr. amounts. So the overflow goes into the freezer. I'm still working my way through the thyme--just hope it doesn't get lost in the freezer. I grow my own basil so that's one I don't have to buy.

• Like 2

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

Over a lifetime of cooking I've collected enough spice jars so that I can buy my spices in paper packets ("refills") and rarely need to buy anything in little bottles. This saves money, and my spice source is high quality and local, which helps. Needless to say the spice bottles are not "matchy matchy." One benefit for me is that the lids vary in color, so I've accumulated jars with red, black, white and blue tops. My spices are mostly in four shelves, each about 2 jars deep. Each shelf houses jars with one color, loosely organized by use. This is the only way my husband knows where to put back any given spice once he's removed it from the shelf. I use a labeler, since years of washing out jars makes them appear tidy and clean, without funky paper labels.

Just curious: I looked at the Penzey's website and see no indication that spices can be bought without bottles. packets Do any online spice purveyors offer 2 - 4 oz packets w/o bottles? 

Shout-out to @weinoo: I'm impressed you have saffrons, i.e. more than one kind.

Oh, my one regret is that spice bottles have not typically been square.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Just curious: I looked at the Penzey's website and see no indication that spices can be bought without bottles. packets Do any online spice purveyors offer 2 - 4 oz packets w/o bottles? 

Penzey's does - see this page...https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/french-tarragon/c-24/p-816/pd-s

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Not to pile on, but most of what we buy from Penzey's comes in bags:175 ml, 350 ml and, depending on the spice, 700 ml bags.  Those might be larger than you want (3/4 C of ground spice is going to be somewhere around 3 to 4 ounces by weight), but almost everything they sell is available in this format.

• Like 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

In addition to Penzey's (3/4 cup bag of cinnamon is 2.6 oz, though the different spices vary) Spice House also offers small bags of most of their spices and as an added perk, those bags always ship for free, with no minimum, a nice perk if you only need a couple of things. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Laurentius said:

Market Spice in Seattle sells packets on line.  Est. 1911.  https://marketspice.com/

You beat me to it. I was just looking at their website. I've been relying on them for spices for 48 years. All the time that I lived in Seattle and now when my grandson comes down here I always place an order from Marketspice. I do miss going there in person. Just to walk in there, the aroma put you right in heaven.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Just to walk in there, the aroma put you right in heaven.

Absolutely.  As you know, their store in Pike Place Market is quite small, but they more than make up for that with their vast selection and fresh product. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Laurentius said:

As you know, their store in Pike Place Market is quite small

No visit to the Pike Place Market was ever complete without a visit to Marketspice. The aroma of their tea mixes and the tea that they offered always hit the spot. If there's one place that I miss most in Seattle, it is the Pike Place Market.

• Like 2

I try not to store spices; or, at least not for long. Most that I can want and get are sold in resealable 15g or 50g bags from a high turnover store. The once exception was coriander seed which until recently I could only buy imported and came in 500g packs. In just the last few months, I have found them in 15g bags, too.

The idea of year-old or more spices does not appeal, at all. I never use dried herbs other than bay leaf which again come in 15g packs.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto