• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

My latest:

I had a package of Peeps--Ghosts for Halloween.  I made brownies and then spread them with marshmallow fluff.  On top of that I placed a Peep ghost and then used the kitchen torch to melt/meld it to the fluff.  I became so enamored with the burnt/melty ghost that I ate the rest of the package.  Forget the brownies.  One ghost after another.  Burned/melted with the torch.  Like a naked smore only the sugar on the Peep did something magical when burned lol.

I now have Christmas Peeps coming from Amazon so watch out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Herr's ripple chips with spray cheese and sriracha.

It started as a way to get a dog to gobble down medicine...and then I'd eat one to show him it was OK...and then the sriracha... 😀

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 7

Years ago, when our daughters were about 10, we were driving from Cancun to Chicxulub after leaving Los Angeles (about a 3.5 hour drive) Due to our flight, it had to be a nighttime drive and we weren't sure about eating places along the way. The day before, I took the girls to Target and told them to look for packaged food that wouldn't be too messy to eat in the rental car. I saw spray cheese which I hadn't had in decades and convinced them that it was "like whipped cream in a can, only cheese!" They had great fun squirting it on pretzels and crackers and were sorely disappointed when I told them it would not be a regular purchase once we got home. For a few years after, I put a can of it in each of their stockings at Christmas!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, lindag said:

I'm admitting that my latest guilty please is the  Mimosa.

It started with the errant bottle of prosecco found in the liquor cabinet and then knowing there weas orange juice in the fridge.  So refreshing.

BTW, this should involve no guilt.  It should be a daily ritual.  Like breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Shelby said:

BTW, this should involve no guilt.  It should be a daily ritual.  Like breakfast.

You are correct! I remember being gobsmacked when a former boss's veddy veddy proper wife commented that the only creamer that she ever used was Bailey's and she had at least two cups every morning.

• Haha 5

Just now, MaryIsobel said:

You are correct! I remember being gobsmacked when a former boss's veddy veddy proper wife commented that the only creamer that she ever used was Bailey's and she had at least two cups every morning.

Well, that’s one way to start the day… Hopefully she didn’t have to drive herself anywhere!

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

Well, that’s one way to start the day… Hopefully she didn’t have to drive herself anywhere!

I don't beleive that she did but she later confirmed that it was only a splash! (or two) Who knows, she could have been like my aunt who was never without a tumbler of "ice water." One day, one of my daughters knocked over said tumbler and the distinct smell of vodka permeated the room!

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I don't beleive that she did but she later confirmed that it was only a splash! (or two) Who knows, she could have been like my aunt who was never without a tumbler of "ice water." One day, one of my daughters knocked over said tumbler and the distinct smell of vodka permeated the room!

It's good to know I'm not alone in the world....

*making note of the water/vodka trick

😬

• Haha 7

• 3 months later...

A guilty pleasure going back to my childhood in Quebec. Vachon cakes were sold as singles for 5 or 10 cents. The company is now owned by Grupa Bimbo's U.S. subsiduary.

This is the only variety I like and pick up a box of 6 every few months.

Billot Logs: strawberry jelly and cream roll with coconut.

VachonBillotLog.thumb.JPG.a6607dc099aebaa1512952777777b3f8.JPGVachonInd.BillotLog.thumb.JPG.74a9751717b340344f2ce355bee2a245.JPG

• Like 7

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

28 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

A guilty pleasure going back to my childhood in Quebec. Vachon cakes were sold as singles for 5 or 10 cents. The company is now owned by Grupa Bimbo's U.S. subsiduary.

This is the only variety I like and pick up a box of 6 every few months.

Billot Logs: strawberry jelly and cream roll with coconut.

VachonBillotLog.thumb.JPG.a6607dc099aebaa1512952777777b3f8.JPGVachonInd.BillotLog.thumb.JPG.74a9751717b340344f2ce355bee2a245.JPG

My pick as a kid was their mille-feuille. It was a red-letter day when I was able to buy a full carton of them from the PX at Shannon Park with my paper-route money. :)

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A dry, very well-toasted, fork-split, commercial English muffin (Trader Joe's is a good example) with a slice of sharp cheddar placed between the halves.  The heat of the freshly toasted muffin melts the cheese providing a nice contrast to the crisp muffin slices. Sometimes I'll add a generous grind of black pepper to the sandwich, usually Kampot or Anakuzhy.

I also enjoy a Diet Coke with Chinese take out food. It's the only time I drink the stuff, but it's got to be very cold, so the can and the glass spend a few minutes in the freezer before drinking the Coke.

Edited by Shel_B
Additional information, clarity, grammar (log)
  • Like 7

... Shel

Ripple potato chip + spray cheese + sriracha

Started as a way to get the dog to take a pill. Then I added sriracha and saw that it was good.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Shel_B said:

A dry, very well-toasted, fork-split, commercial English muffin (Trader Joe's is a good example) with a slice of sharp cheddar placed between the halves.  The heat of the freshly toasted muffin melts the cheese providing a nice contrast to the crisp muffin slices. Sometimes I'll add a generous grind of black pepper to the sandwich, usually Kampot or Anakuzhy.

I also enjoy a Diet Coke with Chinese take out food. It's the only time I drink the stuff, but it's got to be very cold, so the can and the glass spend a few minutes in the freezer before drinking the Coke.

Nothing guilt-inducing about that to me!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer