• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

Ramen noodles minus the seasoning packet topped with mushroom Ragu spaghetti sauce.

Used to eat that in my studio apartment after college classes.

Don't hate me. I still eat it once in a while. Alone.

They weren't guilty pleasures in college, they were survival rations. :laugh: I used to cook and drain the ramen noodles, scramble the seasoning packet into a couple eggs and stir fry the eggs and noodles together.

That sounds very palatable........mine sounds like.....ick lol.

Ramen noodles minus the seasoning packet topped with mushroom Ragu spaghetti sauce.

I'll bet, alone. :) Hooboy. You win the prize!

I used to eat the ramen noodles uncooked. Lightly crush the bag of ramen (in school we sat on them), sprinkle the seasoning packet over, shake it up, consume salty crunchy goodness. I haven't done this in years, but I still like to eat the broken crumby noodle bits at the bottom of the ramen packet.

I'll bet, alone. :) Hooboy. You win the prize!

*Shelby takes a bow*

Spot the Française :biggrin:

Oui, although I am not a big fan of Camembert. But other good (i.e. pungent) cheeses are a favorite snack. And you have to have bread because cheese without bread just isn't right...

Well, okay, so I'll fess up my number one Guilty Pleasure. Nope, no bread. No crackers. No fruit. No wine. No nothing else. No shame. Just Camembert. Or Brie. Sitting behind the wheel of my car with the just-purchased cheese wedge in my hand.

Eyes closed. Savoring every smooth morsel.

The kind of savoring that makes others think they shouldn't be watching.

And frankly, they shouldn't.

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Well, okay, so I'll fess up my number one Guilty Pleasure. Nope, no bread. No crackers. No fruit. No wine. No nothing else. No shame. Just Camembert. Or Brie. Sitting behind the wheel of my car with the just-purchased cheese wedge in my hand.

Eyes closed. Savoring every smooth morsel.

The kind of savoring that makes others think they shouldn't be watching.

And frankly, they shouldn't.

:cool:

That sounds so good, you might be able to convert me! :smile:

Ok, I have one more. Spaghetti with butter and a couple of easy-overs on top, with running yolk that blends in with the pasta.

Edit: Ok, I admit it. I wasn't gonna, but it's the guilty pleasure we're after here, so yes, I add a little bit of ketchup too, and it gotta be Heinz.

Edited by Mofassah (log)

Ok, I have one more. Spaghetti with butter and a couple of easy-overs on top, with running yolk that blends in with the pasta.

Edit: Ok, I admit it. I wasn't gonna, but it's the guilty pleasure we're after here, so yes, I add a little bit of ketchup too, and it gotta be Heinz.

I didn't see anything to make it a guilty pleasure... until the edit. :raz:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Love Gorton's Fish Sticks! Some products, over time, get crappier, more cheaply made yet more expensive.

Gorton's Fish Sticks is the exception. Their products are better than ever (probably cost more though).

• 2 weeks later...

Nutella - straight from the jar on a spoon.

Yes. And sometimes without the spoon.

:raz:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Pickled herring filets in wine marinade. Exactly 5 pieces at a time.

In sour cream for me.

In sour cream for me.

for me too. but this is pure pleasure. no guilt. its fish, right?

That would be my second choice if the first is not available.

Pickled herring filets in wine marinade. Exactly 5 pieces at a time.

In sour cream for me.

>In sour cream for me.

for me too. but this is pure pleasure. no guilt. its fish, right?

That would be my second choice if the first is not available.

As far as I'm concerned, if it's marinated herring, no sour cream, there's nothing guilty about it. Only pleasure.

But if it's swimming in sour cream, my personal favorite of course, and you sit there and eat the whole jar, that definitely counts.

Triscuts or Ritz with liverwurst with Bonbel (blush) cheese. (Hides face in shame...) ;)

Liverwurst. Mom used to make us sandwiches with it when we were kids. Loved the stuff.

A while back while browsing the deli section at the store I picked up a package and checked the label.

17 hefty grams of fat per serving. Oy. I didn't buy any.

• 2 weeks later...

Leaf lard in pie crusts. Lard as a frying medium. Just...lard. Glorious, unctuous lard.

“You can’t define these in a recipe. You can only know them...”

-- Julia Child