• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Carts

Kobi

Huh. I always pick the Le Anh on the south side. Those northies seem to glop thick brown goop over *everything*. When they did that to Singapore Noodles, I just closed the Iron Door upon them.

I had some bad experiences with the south Le Anh. Happened so long ago that I don't even remember what they were, just that I wasn't all that happy with the food, and after that, I went to the other one. Didn't hurt that I didn't have to cross the street that way.

Yeah, I'm actually not that crazy about them either. That's how I ended up at Yue Kee. But at least they don't put brown glop on *everything*. Did I mention *Singapore Noodles*?

"Closing the Iron Door" sounds like a kung-fu move.

Lionel Barrymore, _Twentieth Century_.

Though picturing him trying a roundhouse kick is almost as amusing as anything in the actual movie.

There used to be an unfailingly pleasant asian woman that had a cart on the 15th St side of the Union League - she made cold sandwiches only, including the best whipped tuna (next to my own), even a decent cb special, and no sandwich cost more than $2.25. The lines were often ridiculously long, but always worth the wait.

There used to be an unfailingly pleasant asian woman that had a cart on the 15th St side of the Union League -

is she still there?

also, can anyone recommend a truck in center city with an excellent 1. cheesesteak 2. egg and cheese sandwich? center city for me -- between 12th and 19th, between jfk and locust-ish.

thanks,

--arice

There used to be an unfailingly pleasant asian woman that had a cart on the 15th St side of the Union League -

is she still there?

also, can anyone recommend a truck in center city with an excellent 1. cheesesteak 2. egg and cheese sandwich? center city for me -- between 12th and 19th, between jfk and locust-ish.

thanks,

--arice

A smidge out of the stated area, but back in the day, the guy on 21st St. just South of Market had the best breakfast sandwiches of any cart around. Dee-lickerish.

One truck I've been meaning to try for 2 years: across the street from Elephant and Castle on 18th and Market, diagonally across from Starbucks. There is always such a line it's hard to get by on the sidewalk and always smells of BBQ. Anyone know it?

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

That would be John's Food Truck. My favorite stop every morning. Fresh brewed Lacas coffee, muffins from BJs, great egg and cheese sandwiches with choice of Italian roll or croissant, beef or turkey bacon or turkey sausage, great bagels too. My favorite truck, especially since it's around the corner from where I work.

[is she still there?

also, can anyone recommend a truck in center city with an excellent  1. cheesesteak  2. egg and cheese sandwich?  center city for me -- between 12th and 19th, between jfk and locust-ish.

thanks,

--arice

Angelo's at the northeast corner of 16th and Chestnut. Actually came in second when the Daily News held their Best Food Truck in Philly competition last year.

[is she still there?

also, can anyone recommend a truck in center city with an excellent  1. cheesesteak  2. egg and cheese sandwich?  center city for me -- between 12th and 19th, between jfk and locust-ish.

thanks,

--arice

Angelo's at the northeast corner of 16th and Chestnut. Actually came in second when the Daily News held their Best Food Truck in Philly competition last year.

I can second the above recommendation, but I avoid it mostly because of the long lines. So... which food truck came in first?

I know it's not a food truck, but I've been hitting Cosi for their omelet sandwiches, egg, spinach, ham on asiago cheese bagel (yum!). But, for best bang for buck has to be Tony Luke, Jr's breakfast sandwiches. They serve theirs on hoagie rolls! I know, it's not a food truck, but one of my favorite spots if I'm really hungry for a sandwich.

I can second the above recommendation, but I avoid it mostly because of the long lines.  So... which food truck came in first?

Sweet Lucy's in the Northeast, which has since moved into its own more permanent digs. There's a thread around here about them somewhere.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Few food trucks are destinations. Sweet Lucy's was an exception.

Several messages in this thread say that xxx is really good, but the line is really long. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? But we're not likely to walk several blocks so that we can stand in line. Koch's is the exception there.

Which brings me to George's truck at 23rd and Chestnut. I'm (sorta) in Center City several times a week (at that same corner.) George, who declined a Saturday work day at that Daily News contest, makes me eggs or a cheesesteak my way when I call his cell. He'll make either of them your way, too. He grills killer marinated chicken breasts on pita with his own tzatziki, tomatoes and onions. Watch out when the Jerseys are ripe next month!

And, on a day like today, he busts my stones as I stop for a soda with a Primo hoagie in my hand. We both know I'll get a steak from him next time.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

[is she still there?

thanks,

--arice

HA -- wouldn't you know it. i walk by there all the time (my office is at 15th and market). will definitely stop by soon to try out breakfast and lunch... thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if these exist anymore, but...

There was a red step-van style truck with the side cut out on the Temple campus that made the best pepperoni cheese steaks. They would take the ends of the stick pepperoni they sliced for pizza (I suppose), quarter them and toss them in generously with the steak. I'd order it with mayonnaise AND sauce and it was one sloppy but delicious sandwich.

I also used to get a toasted bagel and cream cheese from a shiny silver (with a quilted look) wagon on 15th Street, across from the south side of City Hall, outside of what was a Girard Bank entrance. The woman in the truck had large blocks of Philadelphia Cream Cheese that she would cut off a slice well over a half inch thick, stick it between the two toasted halves and wrap it in paper. It was so gooey you just had to eat it like a sandwich. Out of this world.

• 1 year later...

I have a friend moving to a job at UPenn from City Ave and was wondering if we could revive this thread with some recommendations or updates as to what trucks are still around and "must visits" in the UPenn area.

Thanks!

I belch, therefore, I ate...

I eat at the Penn area food trucks at least once a day. Sometimes two. My thoughts:

Most of the trucks on Spruce street suck unless otherwise noted.

For Chinese/Asian: King's Work (33rd and Spruce) is one of the best Chinese trucks on campus and I go there frequently. Shrimp and eggplant is excellent. Singapore noodle is also very good, and better than Yue Kee IMO. Yue Kee (on 38th) is very slow and often rude, so I stopped going there. I think King's Wok is better anyways. I don't bother with any of the other Chinese trucks except Kim's (next to Pottruck), which is pretty good and has a decent variety of other dishes like basic Vietnamese. The other trucks just poor goo on everything and is nasty. I go to Koja once and awhile.

Indian: The truck next to Pottruck (next to Kim's) is ok. I think the buffets are gross and this truck probably makes the best, cheap Indian in the city right now (sad). He will make it spicy for you. I like authentic spicy food, and his is so-so. He's kind of rude. Kabobeesh, while not a truck, at 42nd and Chestnut is great.

Mexican: Mexicali makes decent cheap burritos, even if they aren't particularly Mexican. The restaurant at 40th and Snasom is very good for a cheap (~$5), simple Mexican bite. I find the other trucks overpriced and not that good, though the cart that just went in next to Mexicali has been ok so far.

Middle Eastern: The only that's worth going to IMO is Rami's at 40th and Locust. They have the best middle eastern I've had in this city.

The carribean carts are open latest (till 10PM) if you want lots of fried fish or fried chicken to clog your arteries. They have an extensive menu of things that are usually sold out every time I go. Some of the other carts are open till 8PM (all the Chinese trucks I mentioned).

Hemo's is ok if you want a hoagie. There's alot of other trucks for hoagies and/or Gyro's that I think are all pretty much the same old crap on a roll.

I could never get into the crepe craze. I think they're overpriced and not all that good, though the Houston Hall creperie is always very popular. Au Bon Pain is ridiculously overpriced and not really that good. If you want to go to any cafeteria, the one in Abrahmson (CHOP's research building) is the best I've found on campus and is reasonable.

Edited by Neuronix (log)

I haven't eaten at the food trucks regularly since I graduated ('05), but I liked Bui's egg and cheese (on 38th at Spruce), the Greek Lady's hoagies, souvlaki and the occasional cheesesteak (the cart is on Spruce at 37th, the store is on 40th at Walnut), and Magic Carpet (around 34th at the beginning of locust walk) for vegetarian entrees -- "meatballs" and the like.

The fruit cart on Spruce at 37th (across from the entrance to upper quad) had the most reliable selection of melon, pineapple, etc.

The Le Ahn on the south side of Spruce around 36th made a decent (not great) pho -- I like it better than the Le Ahn on the north side of Spruce -- but the Vietnamese restaurant at 44th and Spruce was better than either of those places.

Hemo's is "famous" for their grilled chicken sandwiches (basically a frozen chicken breast, honey mustard sauce, I like adding spinach and mushrooms and tomatoes) -- honestly, it's not great food, but I did get a craving for one every once in a while. On 38th street near Walnut, across from Huntsman.

I actually like the crepes in Houston Hall -- they're not by any means authentic, but I find them tasty every once in a while. There are savory ones (essentially chicken breast or sliced ham/turkey with cheese, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and bell peppers and a variety of sauces -- honey dijon, garlicky something, pesto, etc.) and sweet ones (I like strawberries with nutella).

the Greek Lady's hoagies, souvlaki and the occasional cheesesteak (the cart is on Spruce at 37th, the store is on 40th at Walnut)

I'm pretty sure Greek Lady doesn't own that truck anymore. They should call it Taiwanese lady instead :laugh: I remember one day I went there only to find new people working the truck, Greek Lady logo removed from everything, but the same menu and the same food. I don't know if the food has changed much since then.

I used to go out of my way to Koch's once and awhile for a hoagie, but they've really gone downhill. I hear a rumor that the family sold it off (is this true anyone?). Ever since Bob died the place got slower (that was possible?), all the fun went out of it, and the sandwiches got skimpier. :sad:

the Greek Lady's hoagies, souvlaki and the occasional cheesesteak (the cart is on Spruce at 37th, the store is on 40th at Walnut)

I'm pretty sure Greek Lady doesn't own that truck anymore. They should call it Taiwanese lady instead :laugh: I remember one day I went there only to find new people working the truck, Greek Lady logo removed from everything, but the same menu and the same food. I don't know if the food has changed much since then.

I used to go out of my way to Koch's once and awhile for a hoagie, but they've really gone downhill. I hear a rumor that the family sold it off (is this true anyone?). Ever since Bob died the place got slower (that was possible?), all the fun went out of it, and the sandwiches got skimpier. :sad:

Thje remaining Koch broither runs the Koch's Deli now, and it has maintained its quality, so I'm curious what made you say that it had gone "downhill".

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Thje remaining Koch broither runs the Koch's Deli now, and it has maintained its quality, so I'm curious what made you say that it had gone "downhill".

Just what I was saying. I only went in twice since Bob left us.

Also, one of the departments where I work used to get Koch's semi-frequently for different lunchtime events. They've since switched off of Koch's. I was curious why so I asked. They told me that the sandwiches just got smaller and smaller last year and they didn't think they were worth the money anymore.

Just what I was saying. I only went in twice since Bob left us.

Also, one of the departments where I work used to get Koch's semi-frequently for different lunchtime events. They've since switched off of Koch's. I was curious why so I asked. They told me that the sandwiches just got smaller and smaller last year and they didn't think they were worth the money anymore.

Perhaps it would be fairer to post opinions based on actual personal experience, instead oof hearsay. It's not fair to Koch's.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

The only Koch brothers who ran the deli for many years were Bobby and Lou, both gone. Is there another Koch running the deli or is it someone else?

There IS another brother, his name now escapes me, but he is running the Koch's Deli now.

The only Koch brothers who ran the deli for many years were Bobby and Lou, both gone. Is there another Koch running the deli or is it someone else?

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Around the time of Bobby's passing, newspaper reports indicated that a third brother, who I believe is a physician, was "taking over" the deli. The article did not say that he planned to give up his medical practice and start running the slicer. When I was in last, the food seemed much the same, but there was no evidence of any Koch behind the counter, nor was there that famous Koch jocularity. Still, I got a pretty darned good sandwich.

So I'm not personally sure about the current situation, but I think it's safe to say there's nobody named Koch laying hands on your sandwich. But some Koch might be keeping an eye on things. Somebody should go check it out first-person. I'll go next time I'm in that neighborhood with enough time to kill...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

My last visit, 6 mos ago., had that Koch brother In the deli, working and supervising the staff. Sandwiches seemd as I had remembered them. Yes, there was not that loud, talkative vibe going on, but slieced cheese and turkey was being passed around that day, and my turkey/pastrami combo was as good as I remember from my college days.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Perhaps it would be fairer  to post opinions based on actual personal experience, instead oof hearsay.  It's not fair to Koch's.

I did post my opinions based on actual personal experience and I backed it up with a little bit of additional information. I agreed with the department, considering I eat those lunches as well, or I wouldn't have posted what I said.

Edited by Neuronix (log)

I kinda hate to mention it since there's already a large line, but my favorite Chinese cart is on 17th & Cherry (in front of Friends School) near the Parkway.  Helen's is the name and large portions of good Chinese food is the game.  For $4, you can eat for two days.  But, it's not just your normal 'Chinese cart' food, there's weekly specials that could be stuffed chicken or mongolian beef.  And to top it off, she adds some kimchee (sp?) and pickled cucumbers at the end.  Come with an appetite and early.  With your 'entree' you get rice (or lo mein), entree, steamed vegetables (which are always fresh) and the before mentioned kimchee and cucumbers (if you request it).

Is this cart still around? I've walked past that corner a couple times, and never saw it.