• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Carts

Kobi

John's at 18th and Market is still my preferred choice for breakfast. I now get my sandwiches on wheat wraps and mushroom and onion with the egg. More of an omelette than a sandwich. A truly fantastic person. My favorite lunch truck is the chinese food truck on 17th Street just south of JFK. They disappeared for a few weeks and had me worried, but they're back again pumping out good food at dirt cheap prices.

the best thing about john's is that he grills the roll for his egg & cheese sandwiches, instead of .... well, instead of doing nothing. that makes for an awesome sandwich. why, if i weren't already at work i'd go get one RIGHT NOW.

• 4 months later...

[bump]

New to Philly and I'm definitely finding the carts intriguing, though I haven't actually eaten at any yet. Anyone got favorites in the 19th & Market vicinity? Not sure any of the recs from 2005 still apply.

Or do I just look for a long line of hungry-seeming people?

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

All the food carts mentioned in this thread as being open are still running in the area. If you want something truly memorable, go and grab a falafel sandwich from the cart at the northeast corner of 20th and Market. The entertainment value alone is priceless.

All the food carts mentioned in this thread as being open are still running in the area.  If you want something truly memorable, go and grab a falafel sandwich from the cart at the northeast corner of 20th and Market.  The entertainment value alone is priceless.

Agreed. Christos gets my vote for best food truck in the city. Go for the platter which includes the falafel but also all the sides he makes along with souvlaki. A bit expensive for a food truck but the food is great.

I wait in line even in the middle of January.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

All the food carts mentioned in this thread as being open are still running in the area.  If you want something truly memorable, go and grab a falafel sandwich from the cart at the northeast corner of 20th and Market.  The entertainment value alone is priceless.

Agreed. Christos gets my vote for best food truck in the city. Go for the platter which includes the falafel but also all the sides he makes along with souvlaki. A bit expensive for a food truck but the food is great.

I wait in line even in the middle of January.

Personally, I love his grilled chicken pita. And it is not fast food. Christos looks like he's working fast, but somehow a five-person line turns into a fifteen minute wait. But it's absolutely worth the wait, and watching him work makes for really entertaining street theater.

Christos report: he is not there every day, but today he was there, and MAN is that a good platter. $8 for an outrageous amount of food. A few falafel, superb grilled chicken, mixed greens with some kind of tiny red pasta in dressing, a few lumps of a tapenade-ish sauce, possibly some lentils, and a big thin pita.

Upon hearing that it was my first visit, the gentleman behind me in line informed me that I would be back, because the food clearly has crack in it. I'm not so sure he's wrong.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Christos report: he is not there every day, but today he was there, and MAN is that a good platter. $8 for an outrageous amount of food. A few falafel, superb grilled chicken, mixed greens with some kind of tiny red pasta in dressing, a few lumps of a tapenade-ish sauce, possibly some lentils, and a big thin pita.

Upon hearing that it was my first visit, the gentleman behind me in line informed me that I would be back, because the food clearly has crack in it. I'm not so sure he's wrong.

Does anyone know -- for us poor schlubs who don't work in the city -- if Christos is open on weekends? My bet is no, because there's nothing but offices around 20th and Market, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Does anyone know -- for us poor schlubs who don't work in the city -- if Christos is open on weekends? My bet is no, because there's nothing but offices around 20th and Market, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Sorry, you're right again.

We'll get you into the city yet, my pretty. And your little dog too!

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed. I went yesterday, and that was damn tasty stuff. The chicken was flavorful and moist, and the falafel was really good too.

Looking forward to Monday.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany