• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: CaliPoutine - Diversity and Deviled Eggs.

Thanks for the great blog! I have shop-envy. :biggrin:

Oh, and I found butter rulers online, for those interested in them. Is it just a Canadian thing? All the shops selling them seem to be north of the border, eh. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Randi, you're fast becoming my tour guide. At what store in Stratford did you find that butter ruler? And where exactly is the flour mill? Do you know if the mill store is open on Sundays?

Alex,

I bought the butter ruler at that cookbook store( name escapes me now as I ran in and out of there to take pictures).

The mill is open on Sunday from noon-5pm.

Are you coming to Ontario?

Yes -- we'll be on our annual Memorial Day Stratford Festival weekend pilgrimage May 27-29. This year, we'll arrive on Friday just in time for lunch and a matinee of As You Like It. Dinner will be at Sapori Pasta House. Saturday will see breakfast probably at Tango, shopping (including, of course, Cooking Up a Storm), lunch somewhere (maybe Bijou or The Belfry), a matinee of Into the Woods, more shopping, and dinner again at Sapori. Sunday is unscheduled, so if the mill is more or less on the way back home to MI it might be fun to stop there. Where exactly is it located?

Maybe you and Robin could join us for a meal -- I'll PM.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Randi, you're fast becoming my tour guide. At what store in Stratford did you find that butter ruler? And where exactly is the flour mill? Do you know if the mill store is open on Sundays?

Alex,

I bought the butter ruler at that cookbook store( name escapes me now as I ran in and out of there to take pictures).

Yes -- we'll be on our annual Memorial Day Stratford Festival weekend pilgrimage May 27-29. This year, we'll arrive on Friday just in time for lunch and a matinee of As You Like It. Dinner will be at Sapori Pasta House. Saturday will see breakfast probably at Tango, shopping (including, of course, Cooking Up a Storm), lunch somewhere (maybe Bijou or The Belfry), a matinee of Into the Woods, more shopping, and dinner again at Sapori. Sunday is unscheduled, so if the mill is more or less on the way back home to MI it might be fun to stop there. Where exactly is it located?

The mill is located in Arva. Arva is about 5 min from N. London. If you drive back to GR thru Port Huron, you can go to Arva, then come back thru Exeter and Grand Bend and take 21 to the 402 to Sarnia. Does that make sense?

Terrific blog. I've never really thought about visiting that part of Canada but your photos and descriptions make it seem very inviting.

(I lived in Wisconsin for a few years in the 50s and prefer to live where the winters are a "bit" milder!)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Alex,

The mill is located in Arva. Arva is about 5 min from N. London. If you drive back to GR thru Port Huron, you can go to Arva, then come back thru Exeter and Grand Bend and take 21 to the 402 to Sarnia. Does that make sense?

It looks like we can take 7 then go south on 4; that makes it right on the way home. We we leave we can take Rte 22 and head toward the Strathroy interchanges of 402. Thanks!

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I wont be posting any more tonight except to answer any lingering questions.

This was fun and I thank you for not making fun of my picture taking abilities. :rolleyes:

Here is my parting gift to you......

gallery_25969_665_113091.jpg

Deviled egg's diavolo. Thanks bernaise for the recipe, they were yummy.

Recipe is upthread.

Goodnight everyone and happy cooking.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Thanks, Randi and Bennett, for a wonderful look at a week in your life.

We're going to leave this thread open for a few hours so people can post their well-wishes.

Tune in tomorrow morning when the next installment of the eGullet Foodblog will be up and running....deep in the heart of Texas. :raz:

Soba

This was a lot of fun. Thank you, thank you, and best wishes!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

[...]

I wish there were 10,000 people here in Exeter( although, that would probably be a bit crowded).[...]

:laugh:

Yeah, it's a little different from Long Beach, isn't it?

Well, it looks like you've acclimated very well to your current surroundings and know most of the really good places to shop in the area. Thanks for sharing them and a week of your life with us. :smile:

Michael aka "Pan"

Randi and Bennett, thanks for giving us a little slice of life at the opposite end of the country. And that photo of the devilled eggs is killing me... one of my long-repressed weaknesses... it's all I can do not to whip up a batch right now! :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thank you Randi, Robin, Harley and Oliver, I really enjoyed this week and I've been waiting for those deviled eggs, (mmmm mmm, they were well worth waiting for. Thanks for the recipe.) You did lots of great cooking but the highlight for me was the Fig Jam. Exeter looks like fun.

Edited to say: I forgot the great Pineapple cake. (two of them :wub:) I have to try to make the ginger one.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel