• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deviled Ham

annecros

... I'm doing old fashion crank meat grinder - no 'food processor' involved . . .

tips on the adds / etc are appreciated!

tomorrow is 'start day' - will post results....

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 2:26 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Ditto that, though I reserve the whole cornichons as an accompaniment instead of chopping and mixing in  

I've never tried this but i like it!

Also a pinch of wasabi fan. Just perks them up a bit!

• Like 1

I guess I'm a bit late to the game, but some time ago @kayb recommended this recipe for deviled ham.  It's from The Shack - a well-regarded restaurant in Staunton VA.  It is a wonderful recipe that I've served for dinner parties and church pot lucks and, if you can get people to taste it (if you didn't grow up with good ham salad, you tend to be suspicious), they love it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

well, did a second dinner on the left-over ham hock & beans - and now there's not really enough meat for anything other than a 1/2 sandwich . . .

@Kim - that does look to be a tasty recipe - curious add with the cream cheese . . .

38 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

well, did a second dinner on the left-over ham hock & beans - and now there's not really enough meat for anything other than a 1/2 sandwich . . .

@Kim - that does look to be a tasty recipe - curious add with the cream cheese . . .

RE: the cream cheese.  My theory is that ham salad can get a bit gelatinous and the cream cheese combats that.  It's not enough to interfere with the hamminess.  It just smooths things out a bit.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2